Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mercurial, majestic, magnificent Mitoma [20/10/23: New deal signed]

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I don't see a big difference between racism and racial stereotypes.

It is as ignorant to assume a positive as a negative about a person, on the basis of his race. It is a bad habit. We all do it to some extent, we shouldn't.

It is still a bit of a problem to me to say the Japanese people are honorable, tenacious etc. but it is certainly prejudicial to assume a Japanese person will be.
I have not said anyone was derogatory.

To say the Japanese may be tenacious, is very different to saying an English player is full of the Bulldog spirit, neither is bad, they are just not comparable in any way that makes sense for this conversation.

What I posted isn't PC nonsense, maybe it is woke, I have not said the original post was malicious, or hateful, but it absolutely is prejudicial to pre judge someone, and the criteria for that judgement in this case was his race.

I found the post mildly racist, and commented "A bit racist mate", there has been one or two worse posted since, but I have assumed there was a bit of trolling of me going on there and decided to leave it alone.

I didn't say the poster is a racist, I said his post was a bit racist, at least that is what I meant. I said a 'bit' racist because he was not being nasty or hateful. I wasn't trying to start a fire, and would have been really happy to have had no further comment about it, but if people like you can't see what I mean and pull me up on it, I am going to try and explain it, as boring and off topic as it might be for everyone else.

Last point, and this is why I think it is important, positive racial stereotypes reinforce the negative ones. They make it ok to believe you can generalise like that about a whole people and the individuals within that group. If one is true, why isn't the other?

Having watched Japanese , Korean and Chinese footballers in the Asian Super League in which the top 4 Australian teams compete i can confirm they are on the whole , technically sound , committed and reasonably tenacious , unlike the large majority of footballers in Indian and Thai domestic leagues who are on the whole uninspiring and mostly bang average.

please tell me at this stage if you think anything i have said above is racist , i am truly intrigued as to how your ire has been piqued.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Based on the little I've seen of him and the very impressive stats, I've reckon he's got a chance.

I'll definitely be keeping a keen eye on USG this season.

I want to go to a game there...... Would be quite nice if the respective fan groups/forums were in some way communicating on occasions

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Please do not post about racism on this thread. There are plenty of threads in the Pit for you to do that.

Further posts on this thread about racism will, if seen or reported, will result in infractions and a thread ban.

Thanks.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Back on topic ......

Did anybody hear the Japanese 'expert' on TalkSport earlier in the week on H&J (yesterday I think?).
Hawksbee asked the guy what sort of player Mitoma is.
He thought about it for a moment and then said the closest thing he could think of was that he was a lot like Jimmy Johnstone.
He then realised that nobody under the age of 70 would probably have seen JJ play, so he reconsidered and named a current player that Mitoma reminded him of.

That player was Christiano Ronaldo!!!

The guy also mentioned that it was his birthday and he had interrupted his Birthday party to speak with H&J ... so there may have been an element of alcohol playing its part in his comparison, but nonetheless I am now quite looking forward to seeing our new Japanese signing play!

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Back on topic ......

Did anybody hear the Japanese 'expert' on TalkSport earlier in the week on H&J (yesterday I think?).
He thought about it for a moment and then said the closest thing he could think of was that he was a lot like Jimmy Johnstone.
He then realised that nobody under the age of 70 would probably have seen JJ play, so he reconsidered and named a current player that Mitoma reminded him of.

The guy also mentioned that it was his birthday and he had interrupted his Birthday party to speak with H&J ... so there may have been an element of alcohol playing its part in his comparison, but nonetheless I am now quite looking forward to seeing our new Japanese signing play!

I too would love to see him play, but here is the twist, will we ever? We have so many of these "development" signings. Will this one break through? Watch this space..... :)

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Back on topic ......

Alan Gibson

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He is quality. Watching Kawasaki Frontale for the last few years has been very exciting and he played a huge part in that, often playing in a front three with Leandro Damiao and Kobayashi (not the Celtic one). Was always perfect lunch time football when no other league was playing. Lots of Japanese players did well in Europe over the years and I think Mitoma will be no exception to that.

That said, will he be good enough for the Premier League? Thats too early to tell. But I'm quite sure the club will at least get back the £2.5-3m it spent on him.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here