Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mercurial, majestic, magnificent Mitoma [20/10/23: New deal signed]

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I remember reading an article about Mitoma when we signed him. Some Japanese football expert described his style as being like Ronaldo.

I naturally thought ‘bollox’ and kind of put him down as a Championship level player but one that could develop with us.

In actual fact, he has been very good straight out the box. It was amazing to see him roasting Trippier so easily at the Amex.

I’m now struggling to think of a better winger we’ve ever had here. In terms of shooting, speed, dribbling and passing, I just don’t think there is one.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I remember reading an article about Mitoma when we signed him. Some Japanese football expert described his style as being like Ronaldo.

I naturally thought ‘bollox’ and kind of put him down as a Championship level player but one that could develop with us.

In actual fact, he has been very good straight out the box. It was amazing to see him roasting Trippier so easily at the Amex.

I’m now struggling to think of a better winger we’ve ever had here. In terms of shooting, speed, dribbling and passing, I just don’t think there is one.
this. have always had groß and veltman down as our best value PL signings but I think he's seriously threatening that title now

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The club did a video of his first three months which iirc was upto his goal against Arsenal in the EFL which is well worth a watch. If you then factor in his influence at the WC (being a massive reason why Japan beat Germany AND Spain), then his form since he returned (he seems to be getting better and better) it's frightening. He's tearing a whole in everyone. He's ruined TAA once. He destroyed the much better defensively Trippier. The kid is a phenomenon.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Well you could enlighten yourself with all the literature written about it but you're not into that kind of thing are you.

Let's go with what Miyoshi Matsumoto wrote over the shit you write I reckon..

I look forward to you dismissing their Japanese opinion.
It's Kiyoshi, not Miyoshi. Amusingly he has exactly the same name as a large chain of chemist's here.

Well done for finding a blog from 4 years ago which you think backs up your argument. Like how he thinks the nickname the JFA came up with in 2006 exemplifies how the 'Samurai spirit' is still prevalent. 😆
But no, I won't dismiss him, I'm sure he has some valid points. I will say though, from my own experience, that typically, Japanese people who invoke stuff like bushido spirit, are similar to tedious flag shaggers back home.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's Kiyoshi, not Miyoshi. Amusingly he has exactly the same name as a large chain of chemist's here.

Well done for finding a blog from 4 years ago which you think backs up your argument. Like how he thinks the nickname the JFA came up with in 2006 exemplifies how the 'Samurai spirit' is still prevalent. 😆
But no, I won't dismiss him, I'm sure he has some valid points. I will say though, from my own experience, that typically, Japanese people who invoke stuff like bushido spirit, are similar to tedious flag shaggers back home.

Yeah I don't think all the articles written on how Bushido played a part in Japan's highly successful business/work culture were focussing solely on just patriotic views.

The industrialist Eiichi Shibusawa preached bushido as necessary for future times, and the spirit of Japanese business from the Meiji era to the Taishō Democracy was advocated, which became the backbone necessary for Japanese management.

Eiichi is known as the father of Japanese Capitalism.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah I don't think all the articles written on how Bushido played a part in Japan's highly successful business/work culture were focussing solely on just patriotic views.
It's not the 80s anymore! Here's a quote from the guy you originally linked to and his views on the Japanese workplace. If you'd spent any time in Japan, you'd recognise it immediately.
It is always a surprise to foreign businessmen arriving in Japan that Japanese business is antiquated compared to modern business practices. Productivity gains are surprisingly low, and office digitalisation poor. From the outside, Japan is perceived as a modern, forward-thinking society, but this is far from the truth.

BUSHIDO SPIRIT!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The club did a video of his first three months which iirc was upto his goal against Arsenal in the EFL which is well worth a watch. If you then factor in his influence at the WC (being a massive reason why Japan beat Germany AND Spain), then his form since he returned (he seems to be getting better and better) it's frightening. He's tearing a whole in everyone. He's ruined TAA once. He destroyed the much better defensively Trippier. The kid is a phenomenon.
I’d love to see his Degree dissertation (well, a translated version)……..he basically studied dribbling, including doing loads of work with a go-pro attached to his head to work out the best way of beating defenders. If you watch him closely he does seem to wait for the slightest sign of weight transfer by the opposition player, which is all he needs to go the other way at his pace. Fascinatin.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
_20230112_124237.JPG
_20230112_124308.JPG

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's not the 80s anymore! Here's a quote from the guy you originally linked to and his views on the Japanese workplace. If you'd spent any time in Japan, you'd recognise it immediately.
It is always a surprise to foreign businessmen arriving in Japan that Japanese business is antiquated compared to modern business practices. Productivity gains are surprisingly low, and office digitalisation poor. From the outside, Japan is perceived as a modern, forward-thinking society, but this is far from the truth.

BUSHIDO SPIRIT!

It made them a powerhouse of industry and has played a large part in giving them far better living conditions than most of their Asian neighbours.

Japan rates as the highest ranked Asian nation for quality of life.

You can take it as a negative but I prefer to admire them for what they created and the Bushido philosophy did play a part in that.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Sometimes I wonder what we pay them for.
Exactly.

As customers, our service experience needs to be at the forefront of all they do.

Maybe someone could reach out to us so that we can have a huddle and square away what is detracting us from our customer experience on here.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
It made them a powerhouse of industry and has played a large part in giving them far better living conditions than most of their Asian neighbours.

Japan rates as the highest ranked Asian nation for quality of life.

You can take it as a negative but I prefer to admire them for what they created and the Bushido philosophy did play a part in that.
I thought we were talking about professional athletes?

Why compare them to Asian neighbours? I imagine it's top 3 for living conditions in the world. Surely a bushido warrior like yourself is aware of that?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
You would think the moderators could change the thread title, the loan period is definitely over.
As long as they get round to changing the 'Crystal Palace's greatest fear' thread title first.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Can I just say Mitoma is my BOY. For once I was an early adopter; from watching his games with USG I knew he was ready. He has blown even me away so far for us though, looks like one of the best wingers in world football. Insanely good footballer.

:mitoma:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here