Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mendy found not guilty

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Totally agree with you. Rich good looking footballer, why shouldn't he enjoy himself. I think there was an element of young girls sniffing compensation in this case. Why he was put through a second trial after been found not guilty of multiple similar charges earlier this year beggars belief. Well it doesn't because if the Crown hadn't sought a second trial the feminist lobbyists would've been all over it. We always hear that the percentage of sexual assault allegations that end result in conviction is very low, when we read the evidence in this case you can see why.
Criminal compensation is very low. It's not life changing money, even for life changing injuries. You'd need to get a conviction first, and then apply for compensation.

If you sue a person for compensation, you'd need enough money for a good lawyer to take your case, and the vast majority of people in this country don't have that sort of money.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Splitting hairs, yes it was a different trial but based on the same evidence as the first one.

When did I say I was anti feminist?
This seems a bit anti feminist: "Well it doesn't because if the Crown hadn't sought a second trial the feminist lobbyists would've been all over it."

If you wrote that intending to convey that it would be an excellent thing for feminist lobbyists to be all over it, I apologise.

However that was not how it came across, given that you also wrote "Rich good looking footballer, why shouldn't he enjoy himself."

You appear to have the desire to share your viewpoint about the case, but you seem to be reluctant to go beyond innuendo. Has the man been victimized by lying women out to make a few quid, or is he a lucky boy for having no forensic or reliable witnesses to secure a conviction? We will of course never know.

But you appear to have made up your mind: "We always hear that the percentage of sexual assault allegations that end result in conviction is very low, when we read the evidence in this case you can see why.". The rest of what you wrote does not give any impression that you think this is because it is simply hard to secure a conviction with no forensic or reliable witnesses. It gives the impression you have decided that it is obvious he was innocent and that he was prosecuted only to appease feminists.

I'm not particularly critical of your narrative. I suspect it is a common view. I wish there were some way of creating a better rubric for managing these cases. Mendy's career in the UK is likely to be finished. This is either tragically harsh, or a rather soft penalty for a serial rapist. You may think he has been victimized by being charged with the same thing twice, whereas others may wonder how many more (different) women will step forward and accuse him of rape. Not a good situation, whatever the truth is.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I suggested he listen to the contributory negligence poem by @attila but he declined.

I remain saddened that there are aging males who still cling on to the values of the 80s without any apparent awareness that the world has moved on.

• Sad
Reactions: A1X

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Poor bloke. Naive perhaps. Not guilty, but life destroyed.

Is it clear that he was innocent, and therefore this has ruined his life through no fault of his own, or is it simply that there wasn't enough evidence to prove he was guilty? The two possibilities are quite different, and I have no idea which is the case. With the Ched evidence case I was a lot more convinced he (the scummy twat that he was) was innocent, and he actually got found guilty.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Is it clear that he was innocent, and therefore this has ruined his life through no fault of his own, or is it simply that there wasn't enough evidence to prove he was guilty? The two possibilities are quite different, and I have no idea which is the case. With the Ched evidence case I was a lot more convinced he (the scummy twat that he was) was innocent, and he actually got found guilty.
Haven’t followed it close enough, just basic reporting. But not guilty is not guilty, so that’s that I guess. Otherwise everyone ever acquitted or accused can be labelled ‘not innocent’ as such.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
This seems a bit anti feminist: "Well it doesn't because if the Crown hadn't sought a second trial the feminist lobbyists would've been all over it."

If you wrote that intending to convey that it would be an excellent thing for feminist lobbyists to be all over it, I apologise.

However that was not how it came across, given that you also wrote "Rich good looking footballer, why shouldn't he enjoy himself."

You appear to have the desire to share your viewpoint about the case, but you seem to be reluctant to go beyond innuendo. Has the man been victimized by lying women out to make a few quid, or is he a lucky boy for having no forensic or reliable witnesses to secure a conviction? We will of course never know.

But you appear to have made up your mind: "We always hear that the percentage of sexual assault allegations that end result in conviction is very low, when we read the evidence in this case you can see why.". The rest of what you wrote does not give any impression that you think this is because it is simply hard to secure a conviction with no forensic or reliable witnesses. It gives the impression you have decided that it is obvious he was innocent and that he was prosecuted only to appease feminists.

I'm not particularly critical of your narrative. I suspect it is a common view. I wish there were some way of creating a better rubric for managing these cases. Mendy's career in the UK is likely to be finished. This is either tragically harsh, or a rather soft penalty for a serial rapist. You may think he has been victimized by being charged with the same thing twice, whereas others may wonder how many more (different) women will step forward and accuse him of rape. Not a good situation, whatever the truth is
Mate listen to yourself, you've called me 'sneering' and 'anti' just because I've expressed a view that you think doesn't chime in with your own. Saying the feminists lobby would be 'all over it' doesn't make me 'anti' feminist. You should try and be a bit more tolerant of alternative views.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Criminal compensation is very low. It's not life changing money, even for life changing injuries. You'd need to get a conviction first, and then apply for compensation.

If you sue a person for compensation, you'd need enough money for a good lawyer to take your case, and the vast majority of people in this country don't have that sort of money.
I'm sure a lawyer who sensed victory would be happy to take the case on with a 'no win no fee' caveat.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
You're sure? Ok, I'm sure you have plenty of practice in civil law.
Nah course I'm not hence why I'm sure' rather than 'I know.' If I'm wrong then fair enough and I stand corrected. I'm just a thick lager drinking football fan with scant knowledge of the legal system when it comes to compensation for victims of crime.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Tough one - have to go with the verdict. Not followed it majorly but the sheer number of complainers made the result a little surprising. If it was a case of *some* of the women jumping on the bandwagon to try and earn a few bob they should be f***ing ashamed and have spat in the face of those real victims of rape & all people go through with it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Tough one - have to go with the verdict. Not followed it majorly but the sheer number of complainers made the result a little surprising. If it was a case of *some* of the women jumping on the bandwagon to try and earn a few bob they should be f***ing ashamed and have spat in the face of those real victims of rape & all people go through with it.
Victims of crimes are advised by Witness Care, there is little compensation for crimes, and usually involves hospital treatment.

The only way a victim could make a 'few bob' is to sue the person, which very few could afford to do, or to sell their story to tabloids.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Haven’t followed it close enough, just basic reporting. But not guilty is not guilty, so that’s that I guess. Otherwise everyone ever acquitted or accused can be labelled ‘not innocent’ as such.

Yes of course, he's been found not guilty and that is that - I'm just saying I'm not in a position to say 'this poor guy has had his life ruined for nothing' because I don't know if that's the case.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Gi
Totally agree with you. Rich good looking footballer, why shouldn't he enjoy himself. I think there was an element of young girls sniffing compensation in this case. Why he was put through a second trial after been found not guilty of multiple similar charges earlier this year beggars belief. Well it doesn't because if the Crown hadn't sought a second trial the feminist lobbyists would've been all over it. We always hear that the percentage of sexual assault allegations that end result in conviction is very low, when we read the evidence in this case you can see
Good looking not so sure , rich yes .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here