Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Memories of yesteryear from going to football

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I hate things that drive me mad when I've nothing to do. I'm sure it was in the late 70's pre promotion days but Eric joined in 1979 for our 1st Div days. Graham was the keeper in the 77 to 79 seasons but I don't think it was him. HELP.

Pretty sure it was Eric Steele, We used to call him Groucho.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
nicking Toilet rolls on the train and trying to get them in the ground to luzz from the north stand
Barry Davies sometimes being on the train back after the game (got off at Southwick I believe).
Young kids trying to start chants and the crowd chanting back 'does your mummy know you're here?'
The referees old lady being a Whore ssssssssss.
We all hate Bananas, pyjamas, tomatoes or whatever colour the opposition were wearing.
Hit him on the 'ed with a baseball bat

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Taking on bets to run through the Bus wash machine when it was in use,in the bus station just passed the tunnel.

I didn’t realise quite how much water was used. I spent a very cold afternoon watching in the North Stand absolutely soaking wet.:ffsparr:

Rosettes.

Silk scarves tied round your wrist.

Putting my packet of 10 Number 6 down the front of my trousers, cos if plod found them in your pocket, they would either confiscate them, or tell you you had to pay adult entrance money.

Last edited:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Paying only 5s and 6d to stand under the West Stand.

As said already, the guy with a loud voice from the East Side shouting “wakey wakey in quiet moments

Half time Bovril

No segregation of fans and exchanging banter with a group of them on our terrace

Eric Morecombe Up In The Stand behind us when Luton Town came

Cracking saves from Brian Powney..... cries of “ Up John” when John Napier went to head it...

Happy days!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sprinting on to the pitch at final whistle to pat the Albion players before they exited down the tunnel.

(That'd be a lifetime Amex ban from #BarberOut these days, loss of your home and being electronically ankle tagged).

Whilst furtively kicking opposition players in the bedlam.

whilst in the chaos

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Watching the reserves and trying to get Clap Hands to clap at nothing. He was always resplendent in Burgundy - shirt, trousers, bodywarmer, gloves and shoes. Sad how it was acceptable to mock the mentally ill back in the day.
I would like to personally apologise for all the times I went under the bridge and not over at Hove station, as it ensured a home defeat every time I did it!

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Taking on bets to run through the Bus wash machine when it was in use,in the bus station just passed the tunnel.

I didn’t realise quite how much water was used. I spent a very cold afternoon watching in the North Stand absolutely soaking wet.:ffsparr:

Rosettes.

Silk scarves tied round your wrist.

Putting my packet of 10 Number 6 down the front of my trousers, cos if plod found them in your pocket, they would either confiscate them, or tell you you had to pay adult entrance money.

Yes to the silk scarf around the wrist - I guess we thought we were cool!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
1 Smell of Condor pipe tobacco
2 North stand urinals
3 Little couple in south stand refreshments
4 Goalkeepers teeing up the ball to kick it
5 ABCD etc around the ground to relate to halftime scores
6 Lottery board
7 BBC Sussex shed
8 Wooden benches at the back of the South Stand
9 Misty Mid-week games seeing the floodlights from the top of Dyke Road
10 The atmosphere WOW of evening games

I don't think point 10 is only from yesteryear. I get that feeling for an evening game even now ( well, when we were last able to go ). Love an evening game - particularly a Friday. Game, few pints, amble home with no work the next day and hopefully the warm feeling of a win.

I'll add a memory of yesteryear though. My brother and I used to stand on the East Terrace and there was a tall lanky bloke who was always near us. Everytime the play got exciting he'd keep bending his knees into a squat and then back upright again. The more exciting things got the quicker he would complete the move. We nicknamed him "Benz zee knees" for obvious reasons. Must have been in his 50s even in the mid 80s so I hope he got to see the Amex - not that he could carry out the same manoeuvre there !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Trying to sneak in as a juvenile with 10 B&H in your pocket and hoping plod didn't search you.

Singing the "Laurel and Hardy" theme tune whenever plod lined the gangway in the North.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
1. Getting crushed onto the crush barriers when we scored.
2. Feeling smug having been able to position ourselves in front of the crush barriers, therefore at the back of the crush when we scored.
3. Ducking when the ball was hoofed into the NS, only to be ridiculed for ducking as there was a dirty great fence between the pitch and the terrace.
4. Chanting along with the crowd occasionally not knowing what was being sung so mmmm mmmm ner ner mmm mmm a bit.
5. Pay on the gate.
6. Going to away games on a whim, turning up, and paying on the gate.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Corrugated iron fencing around the players entrance in Newtown Road.
Blue and white stores just on the north side of the tunnel in Font Hill Road.
Smell of bread from Clark’s bakery.
Rattles and rosettes.
Guy with tache carrying round the prize draw numbers at half time.
Fred.
Walking to the ground with the players.
Ginger, the lead singer in the North Stand.
Wooden bench seat splinters in the south stand.
Tea huts.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Floodlights across Hove Park
Pipe tobacco
Metal alphabet plates for half-times
Peanut/crisp vendor marching round the red surround
My home made wooden stool
Liniment
A couple of match balls for warm-ups where they just knocked it about

Mmmmmm, yes, isn't it?

Speaking of warm-ups, I'm pretty sure that they never happened at games in the 60s. You spent an hour or so standing on a packed terrace in great anticipation of the first sighting of the teams when they ran out of the tunnel. This was particularly exciting at big games where the players were really famous (eg at Spurs, West Ham etc)

I seem to remember, at the famous Chelsea cup tie in 1967, Archie Macauley turfed the Chelsea team off the Goldstone pitch before the game for daring to have a warm up. The Doc was none too pleased about it.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Paying only 5s and 6d to stand under the West Stand.

As said already, the guy with a loud voice from the East Side shouting “wakey wakey in quiet moments

Half time Bovril

No segregation of fans and exchanging banter with a group of them on our terrace

Eric Morecombe Up In The Stand behind us when Luton Town came

Cracking saves from Brian Powney..... cries of “ Up John” when John Napier went to head it...

Happy days!
The wakey wakey guy on the chicken run was a chap called Morry, he lived in Upper Lewes Road.

Another of his pearls of wisdom was when the Albion got a throw in he would shout, "Quick one, quick one" followed by "Too late"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here