Sand in the goalmouths and centre circle
The rutted orange cinder track round the edge of the pitch
The blue disability vehicles in the SW corner
The noise from the tannoy as you approached the ground
Police dogs
A decent variety of songs and chants
Getting back to my dads car just in time for the jaunty music of Sports Report

Happy, happy days.

You didn't go that often then!! I remember when the grass was just in the vicinity of the corner flags!!

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Laces from DM's hanging outside the away corner entrance

The police dogs were scary back then, don't think they fed them much.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Among my many memories was the programme seller ERNIE who I first saw at the Goldstone, without fail he would walk along the front of all the stands looking for buyers shouting 'Programmes'!! at the top of his voice, a much missed part of the fabric of our great club.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Getting back to my dads car just in time for the jaunty music of Sports Report

Followed by tonights the night for Music Night

Or on the way down to the game on Saturday prior to the Saturday sports show Roy Hull headlines

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You didn't go that often then!! I remember when the grass was just in the vicinity of the corner flags!!

The pitch was always ok until we got in Div 1 when it was relaid. Remember the team parading around the ground on promotion when it was ploughed up.

Prior to that it was used by England before games at Wembley for training as the turf was the same used as Wembley.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Among my many memories was the programme seller ERNIE who I first saw at the Goldstone, without fail he would walk along the front of all the stands looking for buyers shouting 'Programmes'!! at the top of his voice, a much missed part of the fabric of our great club.

Programmes?

He was the Argus man surely

Evenin- ARRgus

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
1. Police in the North Stand desperately looking for a trivial reason, or an invented reason, to chuck someone out.
2. The walk from Queen's Park to the Goldstone and back.
3. Mates in the North Stand chanting for me to give them a wave as I stood next to 'Mr Blobby' on the east terrace- followed by lewd assertions about me when I obliged :lolol:
4. Reading programme notes welcoming Cambridge United supporters to a match in 1984 then looking at the away pen to see that none had come.
5. A mate standing next to me being chucked out for suggesting John Wark had a face like a hippos bum. (See 1).
6. Buying entry for an all-ticket affair a few days before a game as a kid. Seeing the gates open, going in, and running around the pitch pretending I'd scored a goal.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove

Sorry, the memory is not as good as it once was, of course it was BERNIE Dawes who sold the programmes, not Ernie as I said earlier. Bernie is a legend to many Albion fans of a certain age, he went to Albion games home and away for many, many years.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sorry, the memory is not as good as it once was, of course it was BERNIE Dawes who sold the programmes, not Ernie as I said earlier. Bernie is a legend to many Albion fans of a certain age, he went to Albion games home and away for many, many years.

Was it Ernie or Stan the Argus seller?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Trotting along behind some random herbert with a radio pressed to his ear to pick up the final scores

"Oi mate, have you heard the Palace result yet ?"

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
I looked it up after you mentioned it as I wasn't 100% sure, but it was "PROGRAMMMMMMMMEEEESSSSSSS"!! at the Withdean Stadium, there's a good chance he was the Evenin- ARRgus selling guy at the Goldstone...possibly did a bit of both knowing him.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I looked it up after you mentioned it as I wasn't 100% sure, but it was "PROGRAMMMMMMMMEEEESSSSSSS"!! at the Withdean Stadium, there's a good chance he was the Evenin- ARRgus selling guy at the Goldstone...possibly did a bit of both knowing him.

Remember the old boy selling the Argus at the Goldstone and out the County Ground, white coat and satchel

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
1606516.jpg

This article from March 2011

"Bernie Dawes has been following the football club since 1938, when he was taken to see a match on his fifth birthday.

Since then the 78-year-old claims to have travelled half a million miles to watch his favourite team play at 168 different grounds and by Christmas will have clocked up 2,500 games.

Mr Dawes, of Sompting Road, Lancing, remembers the “hard work” fans had to put in when the Goldstone was sold and they had to travel to Gillingham to watch the team play.

Over the years Mr Dawes, who still sells programmes and lottery tickets for the club, has collected at least 1,200 programmes".

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
View attachment 136176

This article from March 2011

"Bernie Dawes has been following the football club since 1938, when he was taken to see a match on his fifth birthday.

Since then the 78-year-old claims to have travelled half a million miles to watch his favourite team play at 168 different grounds and by Christmas will have clocked up 2,500 games.

Mr Dawes, of Sompting Road, Lancing, remembers the “hard work” fans had to put in when the Goldstone was sold and they had to travel to Gillingham to watch the team play.

Over the years Mr Dawes, who still sells programmes and lottery tickets for the club, has collected at least 1,200 programmes".
Yes remember him different chap to the Argus one

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
On a non-Albion note, seeing Kenneth Wolstenholme just after he had descended a ladder from the commentary box at White Hart Lane to the shelf, where I had been packed in to see Jimmy Greaves score a wonder goal v Man Utd in a 5-1 win.

I was there too and remember the disbelief in the stand when he did that and still vividly remember that goal. Bobby Charlton scored a belter, too, but the Greaves one was unforgettable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jYTLfukNUg

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Shouting 'get that board out the way!' at the seagull lottery man.
Getting an asphyxiating high in the north stand after a goal, when crushed in mid air as the crowd surged.
As a Mod, being the only bloke in the North not wearing jeans.
Smoking a doobie on the walk from the Dials to the ground.
Don't miss the little guy with the tash, that used to slide his hand across your bum for a good grope when we surged forward.

D

Deleted member 22389

My dad taking me to the Goldstone ground for the first time. Standing on a milk crate at the front of the East Stand, must have been 1980.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here