Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Memorable Train Announcements...

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
"We are now approaching East Worthing, hold onto your valuables folks."

"This train is the 16.47 from Victoria to....err.....where the hell are we going again ? Is this on ? Oh dear - sorry ladies and gentleman"

"Good morning, a miracle has happened today as for once we are on time !!"

dje shoreham

Nov 2, 2009
When I live in south London in the 80s I remember standing on the platform at Herne Hill and the announcer came on and "sorry that train that just went past should have stopped here"

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
On a late night service a couple of Christmas's ago the trains were all mucked up due to high winds and rain. A tree across the line at Balcombe holding everyone up, the conductor comes on and says "Sorry for the delay everyone, hopefully the village idiots will have the tree moved soon. I know you all have had a long day and want to get home. Don't worry i'm p@ssed off as well as I'm going to be late home too and my wife has just informed me that my dinner is now in the dog"

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
When the Electrostars came in a few years ago, there was a problem with on train tannoys and you could quite often hear the conversations the guard was having withthe driver.

On one such occasion just after a packed train had pulled out of Three Bridges, the guard came on the tannoy and said, "this train's ****in unbelievable!".

Cue mass laughing on the train. Even the pinstripes thought it was funny.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Morning South Coast to Victoria train at East Croydon...

"Sorry for the delay Ladies and Gentleman. Some pond life seems to think he doesn't need to buy a ticket"

A ticket inspector, entering a crowded carriage on a very delayed late night train from Victoria ...

"Don't worry, folks. I haven't got the bottle to check whether you've paid good money for this journey".

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
All very Reg-Perrin-ish, wot?

"Twenty-two minutes late, badger ate a junction box at New Malden."

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I remember a few years ago going to a Moby concert at Wembley Arena, and after the concert being on the wrong side of a few, at the end of the journey, the underground train announcer starts breaking into song to the tune of My Way with "and now, the end is near, the train has reached, it's final station" - and carried on with this whole song in that genre.

Everybody on the train was wetting themselves.

Edit: in fact, I've remembered what day it as because I had been to Aldershot to see us win 6-2 in the FA Cup!

BlueWhite

Dec 28, 2003
A few years ago the train I was on hurtled through Haywards Heath towards London then came to a sudden halt. After a while the conductor said that the power had been tuned off, due to someone throwing themselves under the train at Haywards Heath, "and the driver and I will now go and look on the track for the body, or parts thereof." (Amazingly the person who had tried to kill themselves had mistimed their jump, the train had gone over them, and they had got up and run away).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"The train just arrived at Platform 5 is Stevenson's Rocket. Railtrack would like to apologise to survivors on this train for the delay in its arrival."

"The train on platform 4 will be leaving for London Victoria just as soon as we can get it off platform 4 and back on the bloody rails where it belongs!"

(NOTE: May not be genuine announcements)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Heading up to Penrith a few years ago on a Sunday afternoon we halted just outside some tiny station. After about 10 mins the announcement came

"We are sorry for the delay, we will be on our way shortly....Oh, who am I kidding, we're gonna be here for hours. Smoke 'em if you got 'em" followed a minute later by "Ladies and gentlemen I ought to remind you it is an offence to smoke on this train".

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
On a train with some West Ham fans who were going up to Sheffield (United) on a Saturday morning about ten years ago when they were in the Championship.

The announcer sounded very annoyed and said: "For anyone throwing beer cans filled with urine out of the window at passengers, this train will terminate at the next stop and the British Transport Police will be waiting." Luckily I needed to change at Derby, which was the next stop. :lolol:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
The one I can never understand:

"I am sorry for the delay, but it was due to a red signal"!

Will try and explain it for you. You are aware no doubt that like with roads and traffic lights, there are things that are called signals. Now like traffic lights, if you are driving a car, you are not allowed to go through a red signal. Unlike traffic lights though these signals might be red for a number of reasons. For example a late running earlier train is already on the stretch of track after the signal. This means that the train you are on will need to wait until the track is cleared and the signal changes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here