Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Membership scheme announced...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't mind Mr Barber trying to make money, but just don't take us for idiots.

I'm assuming the supporters' club has been consulted? This is a genuine question.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
The vote to name the scheme is free to enter rather than costing £1.50 per text vote. Is Barber losing his touch? ???

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I might be jumping the gun about charging for this scheme but I'm probably not, so if it is the case my daughter and her friends and sometimes a few of my sons mates like to come along to the odd game but if now they've gotta be in a membership that cost £20 before they can purchase the odd match day ticket the club can **** off

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Looks like it's a Albion cash cow moving to the next level - hope I'm just unnecessarily annoyed on a monday and wrong on this :(

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Said this on the previous thread a few days ago, it'll be exactly the same as that at Spurs (under Barber) and Arsenal etc.

You pay £30-40 quid odd for 'priority' buying tickets, when in truth, for us, the priority will probably be needed for a maximum of 1 or 2 games a season. If you're online when tickets go on sale, it's not needed, you will get tickets, and thus is just another way of fleecing £30 out of fans pockets. Appreciate this is speculation, but i fail to see what else it could be.

Another step towards the 'customer' label, and another away from treating us as 'fans'. I suspect this may really annoy a fair few, as it seems to have done on this thread already.

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
Yes. I also believe it's going to be £15 upfront for the right to pay £30 to join Seagulls Priority. This in turn allows you to buy a ticket at face value (but not necessarily your seat) - this will cost and extra £30 (if you join a waiting list that costs £20 to join)

Does this make sense?

Oh, so I need to pay £15 for the right to be able to pay £30 to go on a list that might let me buy a ticket. That sounds about right.

Touts normally just sell the ticket, you don't normally have to bung em a tenner just to ask about buying a ticket.

I really really hope it is not a fee to buy the right to buy a ticket, think my Albion days will be over as far as buying from club goes

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Arsenal have a membership scheme that costs £30 because there's 40,000 people on the waiting for season tickets so it gives those supporters first choice of match tickets on a match to match basis and so tickets don't just get snapped up by tourists that's ARSENAL IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE AND PLAYING IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
We are Brighton & hove Albion FC not ****ing PLC

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
So basically Blue membership over again?

I have a bizarre feeling that somehow this is going to involve some sort of payment from STH who go to away games as well, but hope not.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Mr Barber needs to read (or hopefully re-read) Build a Bonfire and We Want Falmer. He needs to connect with what should be the culture of the club. He should know why supporters are suspicious and know there is a better way to build a football club I.e. with the fans.

It's been said before, but we need a statement of the clubs values (not a customer charter) that lays out what the Albion stands for. It should stand for a better way forward for football. A way forward that involves fans; a way forward that campaigns for fairness, for access for young people and for a game that is about winning and doing the right thing.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I have been saying it since Barber arrived. Inevitable. Paid membership.

League 1 days are a long time ago, maybe I've got my wet blanket out again, but I think it is a sad development. I don't need to pay for a scheme to know I am a Brighton fan. And neither does anyone else?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or they could just use the existing database to identify loyal fans.

No. Much better to create another tier of loyalty and charge for that. I'd imagine it'll be £20 a year. Easy money.

Oh and I like the technique of lulling fans into voting for a name. Why the need for this? I'm concerned that this way they can rush out a release saying "75% of fans voted for a loyalty scheme call My Seagulls" - nice bit of potential PR spin in the offing there.

This.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I have been saying it since Barber arrived. Inevitable. Paid membership.

League 1 days are a long time ago, maybe I've got my wet blanket out again, but I think it is a sad development. I don't need to pay for a scheme to know I am a Brighton fan. And neither does anyone else?

If we had 50 or 60k fans wanting to see us week in week out, fair enough.

We don't. We struggled to sell out for our play-off semi final WITHOUT making people cough up £30 EXTRA to buy tickets to our matches. There is simply no need for such a scheme until we are established in the Premier League. If people want a ticket that badly, they can easily get one every week. Balls to the 'increased efficiency' boll*cks. It's just Barber fleecing the fans AGAIN.

F*ck him.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
If we had 50 or 60k fans wanting to see us against Palace, and possibly one or two cup games, fair enough.

We don't. We struggled to sell out for our play-off semi final WITHOUT making people cough up £30 EXTRA to buy tickets to our matches. There is simply no need for such a scheme until we are established in the Premier League. Balls to the 'increased efficiency' boll*cks. It's just Barber fleecing the fans AGAIN.

F*ck him.

This is my concern - there really is no need for it and I would have thought Barber is aware of this. However, I expect our away following to get a bit bigger over the next year or so as new ST's will start trying away games and liking it. Which is why I am concerned it is going to relate to away fixtures in some way - i.e. penalising people who are mostly already shelling out for ST's, when really on the 5-6 occasions away tickets might be hard to come by the loyalty system is already in place to do the job.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The club needs to be careful on this,by all means give members first chance on goods and services at discounted prices and that is how the club would earn,but charging a fee IMO will fail.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here