Mel Smith RIP

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Brilliant comedian - mega minted too after the success of his Mr Bean film.

"so for the best keyboards you've ever seen, take that trip to Rottingdean"

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
RIP - Saw his live show at the Dome which was very funny

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
A few years ago he was looking absolutely terrible and I wondered if there was something seriously wrong. But I assumed he'd shaken off whatever it was.

He was in a very good BBC drama series earlier this year - can't remember the name, it was about a jazz band in 20s Britain. Mel Smith had a straight role in it and he was great - he could definitely have done more serious acting but I guess he could afford to be choosy.

A sad loss.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
This sketch is the one I always remember ...QUALITY

[

A few years ago he was looking absolutely terrible and I wondered if there was something seriously wrong. But I assumed he'd shaken off whatever it was.

He was in a very good BBC drama series earlier this year - can't remember the name, it was about a jazz band in 20s Britain. Mel Smith had a straight role in it and he was great - he could definitely have done more serious acting but I guess he could afford to be choosy.

A sad loss.

Dancing on the edge.

Dandyman

In London village.
Very sad. 60 is no age.

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Real shame. He was one of the funniest men on television. I didn't realise until now that Talkback was his production company so not only has been IN some of the best shows on television, he's also produced even more of them.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Rest in Peace
funny man

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Such a shame. I was only watching "Not The Nine O'clock News" last night. thanks for making me laugh out loud Mel.

I was looking at some Not the Nine O'clock news the other night on Youtube. It made me cry with laughter. Genuinely very, very sad. And sobering - he was the same age as me. And from reading the tributes, a genuinely very nice man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports