Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Meet Peter Ward this Saturday

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I expect most of the kids on here won't know who he is sadly
He did last play for us 42 years ago. And as someone well under that age, the belief in the stories I grew up hearing about him have lost a lot of their shine now that we get to see undoubtedly better players playing for the Albion week in, week out. I was always told he was fantastic and deserved more than one England cap, but our current back-up striker, Danny Welbeck, has 42 caps for England and in an era where he had to compete for a spot with the two top goalscorers in the history of the national team.

At the same time, I appreciate for a supporter of a certain age, he is the collective favourite and I'm sure he was wonderful. 42 years is just a very long time ago...

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Last time I met Wardy was on the last day at Withdean.

I remember the stunned silence as he walked into the Evening Star, post match.

I had a great chat with him and his missus.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004

He danced on the bar in the Duke of Edinburgh that night too.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Once a snide, always etc
What, for suggesting that a player who played for us 40+ years ago who has repeatedly turned up and allowed fans to buy him drinks every couple of seasons for years now might not be the all-time club revered legend he once was to the majority of our support in 2024?

It feels a fairly reasonable assumption to me. And the "Who wants to meet Peter Ward?" thread with only two posts (both from the thread starter) in 1.5 hours seems to back up my theory somewhat.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
He did last play for us 42 years ago. And as someone well under that age, the belief in the stories I grew up hearing about him have lost a lot of their shine now that we get to see undoubtedly better players playing for the Albion week in, week out. I was always told he was fantastic and deserved more than one England cap, but our current back-up striker, Danny Welbeck, has 42 caps for England and in an era where he had to compete for a spot with the two top goalscorers in the history of the national team.

At the same time, I appreciate for a supporter of a certain age, he is the collective favourite and I'm sure he was wonderful. 42 years is just a very long time ago...
This sums it up perfectly for me.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I expect most of the kids on here won't know who he is sadly
My Jnr knows who he is (although Jnr is hopefully not on here) and very nervously asked him to sign the back of his programme at the last REMF match, he kindly did and it's on display on his shelf.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013

That was an incredible night. And Ward doing a pub crawl of the station pubs was amazing. Somewhere knocking around was a video of the heroes welcome he got in the Welly. Happy times

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I’m only coming if I sit on his knee again?

Wardy.jpeg

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight

Good post. You’re right he means so much to us of a certain age and brings back fond memories of our youth. Different times.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

Fair comment. I’m a “supporter of a certain age” and I loved Wardy. But his best form wasn’t really in the top division, it was in Div 2 (Championship) and undoubtedly we’ve since had a few better players, but that shouldn’t detract from his place in club history for being a key member of the squad that got us into the top division for the first time.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Seriously? His star is waning? Oh do F off.

Name someone else who’s scored 36 goals in a season for us. Name some other player who still has a song sung about them several times a season 40 years after they last played for us.

A legend then. A legend now.

Does he cadge a beer or 6? Yes. So would I if I were him.

My Jnr knows who he is (although Jnr is hopefully not on here) and very nervously asked him to sign the back of his programme at the last REMF match, he kindly did and it's on display on his shelf.
Yes my 17 year old boy knows who he is because he’s seen the images around the stadium and was curious.

This thread has taken a bit of an odd turn for a fan site tbh

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Hi Everyone

Peter Ward is in town for the game this weekend, and is going to be in the King and Queen pub, Brighton on Saturday between 4 pm and 7pm, you are more then welcome to come along and share a pint and memories and get signed photos, selfies and get your own items signed by the great man.

If you do think you are likely to come along, please let me know so I can make sure the pub is aware of likely numbers.

Look forward to seeing you if you can make it.
Thanks for letting us know, I’ll try to get there.

Pliny the Gull

Mar 4, 2024
Will not forget that goal he scored in front of the North after, say 5 mins vs Derby C. During that fantastic league Cup run early 70s.
Forget exact year. But had already knocked out Ipswich and WBA in previous rounds if I remember. All top sides then. Lost to Derby in the replay at the baseball ground. Charlie George was playing for them then

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here