Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McShambles - No vote throws UK politics into turmoil...

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I agree with every word of every post on this thread...............for the Talisker has been retained, and I have drunk a lot of it !

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I agree with the first entry. The hasty concessions, and the bias towards Scotland, has caused a constitutional nightmare.

If I was Welsh I would not be happy.

I'm English, and I'm not happy with the concessions already.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The Prime Minister and the other parties have only got themselves to blame. They completely under-estimated Alex Salmond and fought a dreadfully complacent campaign. When it looked like it could go tits up, panic set in. We then had to endure the pathetic spectacle of Westminster politicians hot footing it up to Glasgow to make rushed-through promises as they begged the Scots to stay. All that could have been simply avoided if Cameron had agreed to the 3rd question on the ballot, so- called Devo Max, as the SNP had asked for.

Scotland is very different to Wales, where there is no great demand for further devolution. Remember there, the vote for the Welsh Assembly was passed by just 1%. Despite the defeat of the YES campaign, 45% - getting on for half - want out. That's a game changer and cannot be ignored.

Cameron has now said there will have to be a new settlement but it would be unwise, as Peter Hennessy says, to rush this through. But at least we now get a chance to talk about how things could work a bit better down here. The status quo is dead.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I really can't see them being given a referendum every 10 years until they vote to go. Every 75-100 years, maybe.
But even the nationalists admit that the oil and gas will run out in a generation or so, meaning the economic foundation of their case is just a big black hole.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I'm English, and I'm not happy with the concessions already.

I agree. As a protest I have already vowed to boycott Dundee cake.

Seeing that carrot cake originally came from Aberdeen, I believe that's still on my wish list though.

Maybe we could persuade Glasgie to do a Pimlico and declare itself an autonomous republic. I bet there's quite a few Scots who would vote whole-heartedly for that.

Just think, they could have a currency called the "Nesbitt"...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The solution is simple.

Devolution to Scotland.

Devolution to Wales.

Devolution to Northern Ireland.

Devolution to Sussex without Crawley.

Devolution to ALL local regions.

Less centralised power in London & Westminster!

Corrected for you

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I thought I would be disappointed if the Yes vote won, but I feel more disappointed now and am worried about how much it is going to cost the rest of us. :( I am sick of hearing about Scotland and cannot wait until it is only mentioned in the football results and weather forecasts!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Although YES lost by 10% I think the seeds have been sown for a stronger Scottish Parliament that, ultimately, will push for independence in maybe another 10 years. I think the will of the people was there, but not the means.

If the Nationalists can sort the currency issue - and this will probably depend on the Euro and automatic EU entry or the creation of a Scottish national bank - then the repercussions of independence will be that much more predictable and YES might then win.

I don't think the Jocks will have another independence referendum for at least 30 years. The nationalists will have to wait until virtually all the current OAPs who voted NO have snuffed it to have a chance of getting a majority YES vote.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
But even the nationalists admit that the oil and gas will run out in a generation or so, meaning the economic foundation of their case is just a big black hole.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if a report surfaces in the near future that the experts got it wrong and the oil/gas reserves will be depleted in 2050 not 2025 :rolleyes:

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Although some try to portray Scotland as poor and downtrodden it has in fact been doing well and the middle classes have swelled, according to a commentator on the radio it is this that swung the vote.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I thought I would be disappointed if the Yes vote won, but I feel more disappointed now and am worried about how much it is going to cost the rest of us. :( I am sick of hearing about Scotland and cannot wait until it is only mentioned in the football results and weather forecasts!!

If they had got a "YES" vote certainly would have made any England-Scotland match in the future "interesting" to say the least. Maybe we should opt for a statue of Gazza flicking the ball over the Jock's head in 1996 to be put at Berwick on the border.. and do it fast while the poor bloke is still around to unveil it.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I reckon the Catalans will be next to have a real go at it, despite the close-ish defeat. They were watching very closely.

Catalans would vote Yes by a big margin - hence why Spain won't give them the opportunity and why Madrid was so vociferous about Scotland's chances of being admitted to the EU. Same for the Basques and, possibly, the Galicians...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If they had got a "YES" vote certainly would have made any England-Scotland match in the future "interesting" to say the least. Maybe we should opt for a statue of Gazza flicking the ball over the Jock's head in 1996 to be put at Berwick on the border.. and do it fast while the poor bloke is still around to unveil it.

On this subject the FA - with their finger on the pulse as usual - arranged a friendly with Scotland at Celtic Park on 18th November 2014, so just two months after the independence referendum. How the hell they managed to clear this with the police God only knows, although I look forward to some tasty chants once we go a couple of goals up. "51% and you ****ed it up", "Small town in Berwick", "Alex Salmond - is a wanka, is a wanka" etc.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Depends how you use the figures. I'd say that 1,915,000 against 1,543,000 means that 25% MORE voted no...

Absolutely - this is a complete repudiation of the independence idea, and if you take Glasgow out it was a massacre. Let the Celtic half of Glasgow f@ck off and join a united Ireland, and the rest of us can get on with being British......

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Catalans would vote Yes by a big margin - hence why Spain won't give them the opportunity and why Madrid was so vociferous about Scotland's chances of being admitted to the EU. Same for the Basques and, possibly, the Galicians...

Catalonian independence would certainly spice up El Clasico.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The Catalans are having a vote on November 9th, although the Spanish government has called it illegal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here