Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McLaren Sacked

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is worth remembering Schteve did take Middlesborough to the UEFA cup FINAL.
Not to mention League Cup quarters and FA Cup semi finals, all in the same season.

Here's a list of other English managers who have taken teams to European Cup finals in the last 10 years:-

(Sure he's been shitehouse for a little while, but he's hardly alone in that, is he?)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It is worth remembering Schteve did take Middlesborough to the UEFA cup FINAL.
Not to mention League Cup quarters and FA Cup semi finals, all in the same season.

Here's a list of other English managers who have taken teams to European Cup finals in the last 10 years:-

Roy Hodgson

(Sure he's been shitehouse for a little while, but he's hardly alone in that, is he?)
Corrected for you.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Corrected for you.
:lol: I knew my complete lack of football knowledge would get me into trouble on that one.

In fairness though, you'd have thought that in pointing out the fact that English Manager are pretty poor, I'd have been on safe ground.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
:lol: I knew my complete lack of football knowledge would get me into trouble on that one.

In fairness though, you'd have thought that in pointing out the fact that English Manager are pretty poor, I'd have been on safe ground.
I think your biggest mistake was trying to make a case for McLaren not being completely shit!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think your biggest mistake was trying to make a case for McLaren not being completely shit!
This time, with the inclusion of facts.

As shite as Schteve is, Newcastle Utd have always been keen on a British manager. (poetic license needed for CH & Kinear)
Having only ever employed Ardiles and Guillit from further afield, that's just 2 calendar years in their club history.

So if you only want the best England (UK and Ireland) has to offer, Schteve's appalling CV does actually stand out thanks to his time under Ferguson and at Middlesborough.

That is in no way a defense of SM, just a reminder of how poor 'we' are at football.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Spurs wouldn't have sold Townsend if he was any good or didn't have an attitude problem

I agree - Townsend is no ''world beater'' he played in the championship on loan at Millwall. CH also had him on loan at Birmingham in the Championship. In fact he was awful in the play off games for Birmingham against Blackpool.

I wouldn't say he is a bad player but £12M player, he most definitely is not.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
And Rafa has got a get clause it seems should (and hopefully) they go down. What message is that saying to the Fans or Players ? If he wants a Get of Jail card,simple don't employ him.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
And Rafa has got a get clause it seems should (and hopefully) they go down. What message is that saying to the Fans or Players ? If he wants a Get of Jail card,simple don't employ him.

It would work for the club as well though wouldn't it? If they go down the club may not want to keep Rafa or may not be able to afford his wages on a championship income. The get out clause may be as much for the clubs benefit as Rafa's?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Because he thinks he is a good manager. As to the Champs Lge win i think you put that down to Steven Gerrard.

He did pretty well by bringing Teneriffe up into La Liga and then getting Valencia going and into the Champs League semis. He was hated at Chelski but still they managed to win the Europa League. He has a 3 year contract which has a get out clause if they go down. He has a fair chance of keeping them up with a game in hand.
He also still has his home in England. Win win situation for him.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It would work for the club as well though wouldn't it? If they go down the club may not want to keep Rafa or may not be able to afford his wages on a championship income. The get out clause may be as much for the clubs benefit as Rafa's?

as we are talking about the same club that supposedly had Pardew on a 7 year contract with a one year release clause, or some such nonsence, i dont think it makes much difference. probably a sensible approach from Ashley, only ever having one year liability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here