Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McLaren Sacked

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Doing such a fine job too for their 'long suffering fans' as Alan Green often swoons about them. (where's the vomit smiley when you need it)

Just a thought: A few years back, a certain manager done a pretty good job in difficult conditions for them. Surely they wouldn't come in for him again, would they? :eek:

Here it is..:sick:

:thumbsup:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Surely Benitez is not stupid. Why would he take the job?

It's a mystery. If he doesn't work a miracle and keep them up then he'll have gone from Real Madrid to the Championship in one (not very) swift move.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Surely Benitez is not stupid. Why would he take the job?

Well it's a win-win situation for him really. If he keeps them up, he's done a great salvage job and enhanced his reputation. If he doesn't keep them up, then he can partly blame the precarious position the former manager left the team in.

Looking at Newcastle's squad compared to the other teams down there, I would fancy my chances keeping them up being only 1 point adrift with a game in hand. Their remaining fixtures don't look too bad either.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A year ago, Derby were top of the League in March with 12 games remaining. They finished 8th.

Quite how this man got a job again after that, let alone a PL one, will remain of life's great mysteries.
If only we knew the secret of getting huge rewards for failure!

Quite how he got that job with his record is, as you say, one of life's great mysteries. What's even more incredible is that one of life's great certainties is that somebody will give him another well-paid job soon.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££...............................
I doubt Rafa is struggling to pay the mortgage.

Unless, like Van Gaal, he blew a few million in Bernie Madoff's ponzi scheme.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Although the even greater mystery is how he was ever allowed to manage ENGLAND. :ffsparr:

It just seems like a bad joke now. Come to think of it it did then too.

Strangely though, Shhteve on a point per game basis is only just behind many people's England manager demi-God Terry Venables!

Public perception and persona mean a lot at times...

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
If it's Benitez the comedy will continue - wrong manager for the job in hand. They need a psychopath like Pearson to keep them up.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I doubt Rafa is struggling to pay the mortgage.

Unless, like Van Gaal, he blew a few million in Bernie Madoff's ponzi scheme.

But haven't you noticed how desperate wealthy people are to get even more wealthy?

Multi-millionaires desperate to avoid paying any tax.................
Footballers on £50K a week sulking and slamming in a transfer request if they're demands for £100K a week aren't met................
City bankers and CEOs for whose world ends (in their eyes) if their bonus is less than six figures..............
Football managers who get sacked (probably with a hefty pay-off) always putting themselves up for the next job that becomes vacant..............

SAC

May 21, 2014
Stupidly late to be sacking him, should have done it in December. Shows that spending a fortune in the January transfer window is no guarantee of picking up points. They need an average of around 1.5 points per match to end up with 39 points. Very tough ask for any manager but traditionally there is one team that leaves it late before they start to pick up points.

Edit: Just seen their run in and 15 points is quite possible.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Strangely though, Shhteve on a point per game basis is only just behind many people's England manager demi-God Terry Venables!

Public perception and persona mean a lot at times...
McLaren was very obviously not the right man for the job from the start. He got it because he's great at talking management speak crap and the FA saw him as the "safe" option (an arse kisser who wouldn't rock the boat).

He's the only England manager who has actually made me stop supporting England. After a few matches it was abundantly clear that he didn't have a clue what he was doing and I realised that the worst thing that could happen would be for us to scrape through the qualifiers, go out to the first decent team we played but the CLOWN keep his job.

So I (and quite a few mates of mine) was actually really happy when we failed to qualify and Schteeve bravely fell on his sword......Oh no, he didn't, did he. The CLOWN had such a big ego that he didn't even quit after the total shambles, he had to be sacked.

I don't care about points per game or anything else. The man is a smug fool who shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near the England job.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
But haven't you noticed how desperate wealthy people are to get even more wealthy?

Multi-millionaires desperate to avoid paying any tax.................
Footballers on £50K a week sulking and slamming in a transfer request if they're demands for £100K a week aren't met................
City bankers and CEOs for whose world ends (in their eyes) if their bonus is less than six figures..............
Football managers who get sacked (probably with a hefty pay-off) always putting themselves up for the next job that becomes vacant..............
True in many cases, and I suppose a feasible explanation. His second job as a tapas bar employee must not be paying enough in tips.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Naah, heard that already. I hope he gets a job in France. "Allez, I am, ow' you say, threeled at ze chollooonge of taking zees gret clob back up to zee 'ites.

Marseille - with Joey Barton as his No.2? Imagine that press conference - "Good moaning! Lest nate our pissing was atrocious and we only had two shats on goal, then the ref drops a bumshell with the sending oeuf"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The only time I've ever wanted 'my team' to lose was when England played Israel. I thought if we could lose that there was a chance he'd be sacked and we'd get someone else in with time to fix things before the Euros.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Marseille - with Joey Barton as his No.2? Imagine that press conference - "Good moaning! Lest nate our pissing was atrocious and we only had two shats on goal, then the ref drops a bumshell with the sending oeuf"

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here