Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mcghee out banner

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sid James said:
Fairly key positions though aren't they ! Not sure a battler from the lower reaches is going to cut it this league either or everyone would be buying them, shit I'll do a job if they want a battler.

So he's crooked as well as crap then is he ?

We know they are key positions, so why was the transfer budget used to sign unproven forwards and wingers, yet not other areas that needed covering?

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
With the players we have, with the correct management, the correct system and everyone of them knowing their job, there was enough within this squad to stay up. Every squad has shortcomings, look at Chelsea, every summer they are linked with getting a 25 goal striker.

You just said we need a striker and central midfielder, that's not a shortcoming, that's the basis of a team regardless of the system or manager.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Sid James said:
So he's crooked as well as crap then is he ?

Dont jump to conclusions that is NOT what I said.

What concerns me is that we seem to prefer to deal with agents coming to us trying to offload players rather than tracking players ourselves who may not looking for a move, but would maybe want to compete at a higher division, a bit like the way the CKR transfer was done.

Last edited:

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Rougvie said:
Dont jump to conclusions that is NOT what I said.

What concerns me is that we seem to prefer to deal with agents coming to us trying to offload players rather than tracking players ourselves who may not looking for a move, but would maybe want to compete at a higher division, a bit like the way the CKR transfer was done.

You are absolutely right, it is not what you SAID.

That's quite a lot for me to read into the words McGhee & likes & agents & tho. Sorry, I'll try to keep up in future.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Uncle Buck said:
a player like Butters has been very luck with the injuries.

That's cos I keep him on his toes and well fed! Who needs lightweights eh?!!

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Sid James said:
You are absolutely right, it is not what you SAID.

That's quite a lot for me to read into the words McGhee & likes & agents & tho. Sorry, I'll try to keep up in future.

He does tho, certainly more than he likes scouts.

Do we have a chief scout these days ? Dont think we do.

*Que lots of dib-dib wheezes :) *

Last edited:

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
I do think the squad we had in September had enough about it to stay up, but the tactical shortcomings from the management, plus off the field factors have left us going backwards.

And I think that the squad we had in September had enough about it to possibly stay up, but that it was a big ask and that it wouldn't be sorted until the last knockings of the season.

When you look at those two views there isn't much between them really is there ?

Which makes me believe that the manager we have isn't making quite the same balls up of things as the perception that some try to create on this board. An example is the 'balls out of the velvet bag selection policy' analogy which says more about those that post it than it does the manager.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sid James said:
And I think that the squad we had in September had enough about it to possibly stay up, but that it was a big ask and that it wouldn't be sorted until the last knockings of the season.

When you look at those two views there isn't much between them really is there ?

Which makes me believe that the manager we have isn't making quite the same balls up of things as the perception that some try to create on this board. An example is the 'balls out of the velvet bag selection policy' analogy which says more about those that post it than it does the manager.

So 5 wins in 36 games is not ballsing it up? Losing the last 5 games is not ballsing it up? Being 5 points adrift from safety, with a poor goal difference is not ballsing it up?

I would hate to to see what is ballsing it up.

Oh and by the way some of his selections do look like they have been drawn out of a velvet bag, shame we cannot get celebraties to do this, at least then part of the match day experience would be worth watching.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
DKM, you fight your corner very well. And I totally agree with you that McGhee should not lose his job over one misjudgement (El Turi) even if it is a substantial misjudgement in the context of this club's finances.

However, I have two bones of contention which have annoyed me:
Firstly, at the beginning of the season, we had won the Coca Cola competition and were starting on a fairly level playing field along with several other struggling clubs. We really should have been making an effort to kick on. Instead, we had a handful of very feeble friendlies in the close season, mostly against some very crap sides. Hardly ideal preparation and that is down to McGhee. Furthermore, he still hadn't decided on any sort of plan A early on, which led to confusion and seemingly low morale. I have to say, I really do believe McGhee's total lack of preparation in the close season has cost us, because we really needed a good start. He also seemed unable to get the side to close out good match positions, and we pissed away probably 7 or 8 points in those first 15 games. If we'd started well, then bringing in players at a later stage would have been made that much easier.

Secondly, there has been a distinct lack of loan signings from McGhee. Sure he brought in McShane, but our ground hasn't seemed to hinder our past managers bringing in temporary reinforcements. And in particular, I simply cannot believe how the manager has failed to improve an already piss poor forward line. I know he's siting the fact that no-one will come, in which case his management of the Leon Knight debacle is fairly inexcusable. Whether or not he improved our strike force, it is certainly one option we no longer have.

Still, for all that, I do feel McGhee deserves his chance to get it right next season (because we will go down). Afterall, he has done a good job until this season even if it is a bit sterile at times, and it's not as if we can really afford to pay up his contract and replace him with somebody who is guaranteed to do any better.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Rougvie said:
He does tho, certainly more than he likes scouts.

Do we have a chief scout these days ? Dont think we do.
seems to be part of dean white's job description

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Sid James said:
An example is the 'balls out of the velvet bag selection policy' analogy which says more about those that post it than it does the manager.
that was meant as a joke :lolol: do u not have a sense of humour

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
So 5 wins in 36 games is not ballsing it up? Losing the last 5 games is not ballsing it up? Being 5 points adrift from safety, with a poor goal difference is not ballsing it up?

I would hate to to see what is ballsing it up.

Oh and by the way some of his selections do look like they have been drawn out of a velvet bag, shame we cannot get celebraties to do this, at least then part of the match day experience would be worth watching.

5 wins out of 36 games is the sort of form I would expect of a team likely to be relegated or just escape relegation. Anything better would see us moving towards mid-table and even you didn't expect mid-table mediocrity did you ? Hoped maybe but not expected.

I'm not trying to make a case for giving him manager of the season, merely that when set against expectations and players available that he is failing at the moment but not by the HUGE margins you ( and others ) make out. I'm not saying you are wrong, just not as right as you think you are. And yes, I would level the same point at myself. :thumbsup:

Should McCarthy be sacked at Sunderland, Wilson, Gradi ?

There are a lot more losers in football management than winners.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sid James said:
5 wins out of 36 games is the sort of form I would expect of a team likely to be relegated or just escape relegation. Anything better would see us moving towards mid-table and even you didn't expect mid-table mediocrity did you ? Hoped maybe but not expected.

I'm not trying to make a case for giving him manager of the season, merely that when set against expectations and players available that he is failing at the moment but not by the HUGE margins you ( and others ) make out. I'm not saying you are wrong, just not as right as you think you are. And yes, I would level the same point at myself. :thumbsup:

Should McCarthy be sacked at Sunderland, Wilson, Gradi ?

There are a lot more losers in football management than winners.

Ultimately this time last season we had a lot more points and had won more games, so he is taking us backwards. I expected us to be towards the bottom this season and I expected that until the new ground, but I do not expect us to be cut off in the relegation zone and because of that I do believe he is failing and I do believe he is taking us backwards.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Uncle Buck said:
just remember results don't matter ! have to agree with the right management,tactics and changes during games the current squad is good enough to keep us up

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
saltash seagull said:
just remember results don't matter ! have to agree with the right management,tactics and changes during games the current squad is good enough to keep us up

I thought that results did not matter at the beginning of the season or is it all season now?

Still will find some mind altering cider in the Cider Press on Saturday and everything will be fine...

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
saltash seagull said:
that was meant as a joke :lolol: do u not have a sense of humour

I did think it was funny the first time I read it but it has since become a calling card for those who are not interested in actually debating the football, just personal insults.

Sorry if I come over as humourless, I just think that sort of stuff is a cheap shot.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Uncle Buck said:
Ultimately this time last season we had a lot more points and had won more games, so he is taking us backwards. I expected us to be towards the bottom this season and I expected that until the new ground, but I do not expect us to be cut off in the relegation zone and because of that I do believe he is failing and I do believe he is taking us backwards.
we had won 5 away games at this time last season leicester,west ham,pikeys,forest and sheff utd.don't think any1 with any sense expected us to be anywhere other than fighting the drop but it's the way we appear to be disapperaing out of this division without even putting up so much of a fight it's pathetic.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:

Which on results and likely relegation is absolutely correct, but that doesn't mean he isn't capable of then taking us forwards again. If he doesn't, then he goes.

And that doesn't mean I don't care or not think that relegation is a bad thing, just that it isn't exactly the big surprise of this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here