Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee "happy to help"

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Mark, you must stop believing everything that is written on here.

Big Sam very rarely sets a team out to play "long ball". He does however revert to "Long ball" if his side is being beaten and chasing a game.

This is called, having a Plan B, and it is a good thing.

Really? Sounds shit to me. And not much of a plan either.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No it isn't. It's called 'being totally devoid of ideas and inspiration so resorting to booting it long like its still the 1970's'.

Start losing? Hoof it long. Yeah, terrific management.

If, as a Plan B, it works, what's wrong with that?. Playing attractive passing football is very pleasing to the eye, but if it doesn't bring results it's pretty pointless.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If, as a Plan B, it works, what's wrong with that?. Playing attractive passing football is very pleasing to the eye, but if it doesn't bring results it's pretty pointless.
Yes but if "hoofing it forward to the big lad" worked, we'd see it at the very highest level.

It tends not to work. It's really only a valid plan as the seconds tick away, when the whistle really is about to blow. At that point, you have to say that it's better to have the ball in and about the penalty box rather than maintaining position for the best part of a minute that you haven't got, and hope for a lucky bounce, but apart from that situation it's fairly pointless IMO.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Nothing at all. But it doesn't work, that's the point. As Simster says, in the dying seconds when you need a goal, by all means just get the ball into the box. But with fifteen minutes to go when you're a goal down, hoofing it into the box is not going to be as effective as playing the usual style you play, and practice all week in training. Otherwise you'd just do it from the start.

Find me a top team that resorts to hoofing it into the box when they start losing.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
****. That. Thanks but no thanks.

Would be like trading a Lamborghini in for a Talbot.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Would be a good move by the club for 2-3 weeks, including the Whitehawk friendly, and then get Oscar? in officially for the Spanish tour onwards.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Can't understand why some people are giving him stick. He is not putting himself up for the job, he is just offering to come in for a few weeks to help out with pre season training, fitness etc. He should be applauded not slagged off. Although I don't think he is going to be needed, think someone else will be there by Thursday, when the real training begins.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I can't think of anyone else who would take the job as interim manager before the season starts just for a few months (if that).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd be OK with this provided it was for no longer than 3 weeks. McGhee is a top man and was manager at a desperate time for the club, I think he could do a job.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Can't understand why some people are giving him stick. He is not putting himself up for the job, he is just offering to come in for a few weeks to help out with pre season training, fitness etc. .

For once, I agree with you.

The man has a question put to him by a paper, and he answers it. I always thought he seemed like a nice guy. This only helps to confirm it.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013

IMO watching the team use good technique and spreading the ball about is as good if not better than watching a boring 1-0 win

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here