McGhee "happy to help"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
big sam would play hoof ball

Really...hoof ball didn't thump us 6-0 or what ever the score was..I seem to recall us getting ripped apart down the wings and through the middle.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really...hoof ball didn't thump us 6-0 or what ever the score was..I seem to recall us getting ripped apart down the wings and through the middle.

True, let's go the whole hog and give him the money to spend that he spent at West Ham that season. I'd LOVE to have seen that game played with the Albion fielding a team that cost what WHU spent playing the Gus way though. Sam is a dinosaur, give him a team with no money to spend and see how well he'd do.

big sam would play hoof ball

Mark, you must stop believing everything that is written on here.

Big Sam very rarely sets a team out to play "long ball". He does however revert to "Long ball" if his side is being beaten and chasing a game.

This is called, having a Plan B, and it is a good thing.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
True, let's go the whole hog and give him the money to spend that he spent at West Ham that season.

He he...I was just suggestion that if people are looking for a manager that plays two wingers and two up front are going to be dissapointed with a continental manager

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
He knows the club and the setup and through his role as Assistant to Gordon Strachan as Scotland manager, he should be familiar with 2 of the players in the form of Liam Bridcutt and Craig Mackail-Smith, albeit the latter hasn't featured in the Scotland squad in recent months. The interim manager would presumably just be taking responsibility for training and depending on how long the appeal process takes, taking charge for some of the early pre-season friendlies. It's not as though they will be signing players, although they might be a sounding board for the club's hierarchy in terms of possible targets they might have.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So the Argus got their contact list out and the only former manager who hasn't changed his number was McGhee who, for some easy money, said of course I would fill in.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A big yes from me, would be a superb short term appointment, knows the game and the club extremely well and would hit the ground running.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
So the Argus got their contact list out and the only former manager who hasn't changed his number was McGhee who, for some easy money, said of course I would fill in.

Naylor and McGhee are good friends so it stands to reason that Naylor would get a quick quote from his mate and McGhee isn't going to moan about having his name in the papers for a couple of days.

Aug 23, 2011
Mark, you must stop believing everything that is written on here.

Big Sam very rarely sets a team out to play "long ball". He does however revert to "Long ball" if his side is being beaten and chasing a game.

From what i recall from the 1-0 loss to West Ham when Nolan captialised on Bridcutts error, after that goal all they did was sit back and launch the ball forward whenever they got it. His side weren't beaten or chaisng the game, he decided to do that because he thought we couldn't break them down if they sat deep (he was right as it turned out) however there was no need to go long ball at that time

Aug 23, 2011
Didn't Mcghee get sacked because he "lost the fans"? Now suddenly a lot are happy for him to be back? I was a little disappointed for him when he left so wouldn't have a problem but it seemed at the time a lot of people wanted him gone so why do they want him back now?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If we do take up McGhees offer then it will confirm that the Club is planning on the back of a fag packet

I have to say, albeit reluctantly, that l agree with this. That said Mark McGhee did a great job for us in testing circumstances back in the mid nineties. That said, that was then and this is now. The whole set up of the Club has changed. He would be dealing with different players and very different tactics. Thanks for the offer Mark ... but no thanks.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
As much as I like the whiskey drinking Scott as a bloke, we have moved on in terms of football. Thanks but no thanks.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He does however revert to "Long ball" if his side is being beaten and chasing a game.

No it isn't. It's called 'being totally devoid of ideas and inspiration so resorting to booting it long like its still the 1970's'.

Start losing? Hoof it long. Yeah, terrific management.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No it isn't. It's called 'being totally devoid of ideas and inspiration so resorting to booting it long like its still the 1970's'.

Start losing? Hoof it long. Yeah, terrific management.

Wise words. Having a Plan B means throwing on a couple of subs as a means of changing the formation to nullify a threat or expose an opposition weakness, not lumping it forward. And despite this "never winning after going behind" record, I saw plenty of this type of thing from Gus. Just because a handful of numpties on an internet forum shout loudly that he didn't have a plan B, doesn't make it true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports