Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McCormack to Palace for £1M

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With the proposed take over by the Spanish chap for Leeds wouldn't he better off waiting until then which will still be during the transfer window and maybe they will give him an improved contract that is assuming Warnock, if still there, thinks he is worth it..

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Good player but we are looking for someone with more physical presence

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It could only be for money if he goes to Palace.

CPFC2010 have already admitted that they wasted £4 million shoring up crumbling Palace last season. And it would've been even more had they not had their cup run.

Despite this, they will be following the perennial Palace business model of throwing good money after bad.

Must be a real problem is all seriousness for a club like Palace, the're losing money each season at an alarming rate, crowds are falling, ground falling apart, what do they do? The Championship is getting stronger and there are many clubs in the same boat. Invest to reach the promised land (not sure how far you can go with the new financial rules coming in) or allow yourself to effectively disappear into the lower reaches of the league with the likelihood of further loses. We are fortunate to have an owner with money and a business plan which should be sustainable. The imbalance within this league is huge, those with parachute payments, good sustainable support, welcoming modern stadiums and wealthy and business minded owners against those fighting just to survive.

Palace and alike need to evolve and quickly or they will not survive.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Perhaps CPFC will use half the £2m fee they'll get for Zaha?!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps it would prove a good move for Palace to just struggle though this season and if it happens get relegated. Then start again next season in Div 1 with aspirations of getting promoted, fans will always follow a successful team irrespective of the division so crowd wise that may be a winner, long term.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps it would prove a good move for Palace to just struggle though this season and if it happens get relegated. Then start again next season in Div 1 with aspirations of getting promoted, fans will always follow a successful team irrespective of the division so crowd wise that may be a winner, long term.

You should write to Steve Parish and suggest that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why so funny?....IMO Murray is not worth a million, nowhere near. This is real life not football manager 2012.
Because my original post was a piss take of a Palace fan here that values Murray at £1.5m

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He obviously couldn't agree with it but might be thinking much the same. Did we not do similar at Withdean!

What, deliberately get relegated so that the crowds would return on seeing our inevitable success in the League below?

I think you'll find we were relegated because our budget comparative to every other team in the Championship at the time was pitiful and therefore long term success unsustainable, not because Dick Knight fancied another League One trophy and a few smiling faces at Withdean.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Must be a real problem is all seriousness for a club like Palace, the're losing money each season at an alarming rate, crowds are falling, ground falling apart, what do they do? The Championship is getting stronger and there are many clubs in the same boat. Invest to reach the promised land (not sure how far you can go with the new financial rules coming in) or allow yourself to effectively disappear into the lower reaches of the league with the likelihood of further loses. We are fortunate to have an owner with money and a business plan which should be sustainable. The imbalance within this league is huge, those with parachute payments, good sustainable support, welcoming modern stadiums and wealthy and business minded owners against those fighting just to survive.

Palace and alike need to evolve and quickly or they will not survive.

Good sensible post. The gap between the haves and the have nots isn't just growing, it's accelerating fast. Clubs like Bristol City who desperately want to invest in infrastructure have the right idea but lousy timing - by the time they finally clear planning appeals etc it will quite likely be too late.
We are in a hinterland in my view - sustainable income and expenditure account based on a solid infrastructure but unlikely perhaps to generate the free revenue to challenge for the very top. Lucky though that we finally got to build before it was too late.
Not picking on them because they are rivals but clubs like Palace with a crumbling ground and declining fanbase have to be seriously concerned. Success on the pitch can help to turn it round but it only becomes sustainable if they invest in infrastructure as well as on the pitch and maintaining both will become increasingly difficult as financial fair play rules begin to apply.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
What, deliberately get relegated so that the crowds would return on seeing our inevitable success in the League below?

I think you'll find we were relegated because our budget comparative to every other team in the Championship at the time was pitiful and therefore long term success unsustainable, not because Dick Knight fancied another League One trophy and a few smiling faces at Withdean.

That relegation (or the fact that Dick wouldn't spend money we didn't have to try to avoid the inevitability of it) was possibly one of the most important strategic decisions ever in maintaining our integrity if not our existence. Compare and contrast to Leeds, Portsmouth, Southampton, Palace, Luton.............................
Wolves, I think, have done much the same this year as we did and West Brom in the past showed similar integrity and (dare one apply the words in a football context) common sense.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Thought Huddersfield had bid 2.5 Million for McCormack.

Seems to price Palace out of any deal.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good sensible post. The gap between the haves and the have nots isn't just growing, it's accelerating fast. Clubs like Bristol City who desperately want to invest in infrastructure have the right idea but lousy timing - by the time they finally clear planning appeals etc it will quite likely be too late.
We are in a hinterland in my view - sustainable income and expenditure account based on a solid infrastructure but unlikely perhaps to generate the free revenue to challenge for the very top. Lucky though that we finally got to build before it was too late.
Not picking on them because they are rivals but clubs like Palace with a crumbling ground and declining fanbase have to be seriously concerned. Success on the pitch can help to turn it round but it only becomes sustainable if they invest in infrastructure as well as on the pitch and maintaining both will become increasingly difficult as financial fair play rules begin to apply.

To a certain degree, this applies to most clubs, regardless of their infrastructure. At the moment, we're still floating on a cloud of relative success, everyone's still on a high from the last season, the fantastic stadium (a feelgood factor exaggerated far more than most clubs due to the sheer awfulness of where we were before), and the general feeling that things are moving forward. It's brilliant to be an Albion fan lately, and not before time. I feel like we've earned that more than most clubs.

However, it doesn't last forever, and we need to make sure the foundations are solid for once that wears off. Any club can only take so many seasons of mediocrity before the shine of a new stadium fades: look at Coventry, or Leicester, or Middlesbrough. They're not pulling in massive crowds any more, and Coventry are in fact up shit creek as I understand it. As you say, the gap is growing between the top and second tiers, and for every season a club at this level fails to evolve (in a sustainable way), it grows wider still.

We're in a far better position not to get left behind than, say, Palace, but that said, I don't think there's ever room for complacency. We all need to evolve, but not at the expense of a Pompey style gamble.

When did football get this complicated?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
To a certain degree, this applies to most clubs, regardless of their infrastructure. At the moment, we're still floating on a cloud of relative success, everyone's still on a high from the last season, the fantastic stadium (a feelgood factor exaggerated far more than most clubs due to the sheer awfulness of where we were before), and the general feeling that things are moving forward. It's brilliant to be an Albion fan lately, and not before time. I feel like we've earned that more than most clubs.

However, it doesn't last forever, and we need to make sure the foundations are solid for once that wears off. Any club can only take so many seasons of mediocrity before the shine of a new stadium fades: look at Coventry, or Leicester, or Middlesbrough. They're not pulling in massive crowds any more, and Coventry are in fact up shit creek as I understand it. As you say, the gap is growing between the top and second tiers, and for every season a club at this level fails to evolve (in a sustainable way), it grows wider still.

We're in a far better position not to get left behind than, say, Palace, but that said, I don't think there's ever room for complacency. We all need to evolve, but not at the expense of a Pompey style gamble.

When footballers wages became greater than the income received through the turnstile.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007

Absolutely right. We have all been rather overtaken by the euphoria of a second year of exceptional season ticket sales and I have to admit I am very surprised (and gratified) as I expected them to plateau at last season's high at best. But maintaining that buzz doesn't come easy and there isn't a simple formula. Reading did it and so did Swansea - partly through success on the pitch mirroring investment off it - and that is getting harder and harder to achieve as parachute payments escalate and change the nature of "financial fair play" beyond recognition. It's increasingly a case of the haves and the have mores leaving the have nots in a nether land of almost inevitable decline unless they can find a mega rich sugar-daddy (and I don't mean that disparagingly).
As you point out, in the Championship this year the likes of Middlesboro and Coventry were pretty much where we are a few years ago as were Leicester and Hull and Huddersfield post their move to the Galpharm. Coventry's current decline could very well be terminal as the fanbase falls and income and interest spiral down. Only the local authority's determination to salvage its investment in the Ricoh is keeping them afloat it seems and how long that will be sustainable for is anyone's guess? One to watch is Sheffield Wednesday who are following the Portsmouth/Luton model of on the pitch investment with little or no channeling of funds into the ground or training facilities and no apparent plans to do so. That is the highest risk strategy of all and one I will follow with interest over the next couple of years.

'Ees complicated indeed..................................

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The Mirror is claiming that McCormack is off to Huddersfield for £2.5 million as replacement for Jordan Rhodes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here