Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay stats vs other PL strikers this season

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
If only his shooting from outside the box was comparable to Kane's.

These shot maps for this season demonstrate how many more shots Kane is able to take on.

View attachment 135117

View attachment 135118

The smaller the dot, the harder the chance. Kane scores many more hard chances.

Green - Goal
Red - Missed target
Purple - Blocked shot
Yellow - hit woodwork
Blue - saved shot

Heh, not going to say Maupay is on the same level as Kane. That guy is probably one of the top strikers in world football.

But I found the stats interesting as they reveal Maupay isn’t doing quite as badly as some think.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Heh, not going to say Maupay is on the same level as Kane. That guy is probably one of the top strikers in world football.

But I found the stats interesting as they reveal Maupay isn’t doing quite as badly as some think.

If this season has taught us anything it’s that’s stats are pointless, we’ve won more games where we’ve had less chances and less possession than we’ve won games where we’ve dominated possession and had 25 shots, make sense of that one :lolol:

I hope Neal can get on a run now, get some confidence and show us he can be part of this team as we try to progress but I fear we do need someone more clinical, it’s not just him either of course Welbeck has the excuse that he’s been in and out the team but he’s also missed some massive chances for us this season at key moments.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

For sure.

Maupays goals map does demonstrate that he is a fox in the box.

This is Danny Ings, no goals inside the six yard box. He would make a great strike partner for Maupay.

Ings.png

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Maupay is frustrating because of the number of 1 on 1 chances he’s missed and failing to hit the target from inside the box.

A better finisher would comfortably have 20+ this season

Utter nonsense.

(Unless you genuinely think there are literally zero ‘better finishers’ in the Premier League. Nobody has more than 17, even in the top sides, creating dozens of chances a game. )

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
A 'better finisher' would cost more than £19m and be on a much higher wage.

Now others are chipping in with goals I think it's reducing the pressure on Maupay and we'll see more goals from him. From his interviews he seems to be his own worst critic and put more pressure on himself than anyone.

Maybe that is part of the problem.
He does seem a very uptight player and always curses himself and shakes his head when he fails to score.
He needs to chill, smoke a joint or two and relax, like Dillon from The Magic Roundabout.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don’t care what the stats say (and the above would look much worse without pens included) Maupay has been poor for quite some time.

The most impressive thing was he had the balls to come out and tell the nation he knows he hasn’t been good enough in his interview last night.

Well, the stats the OP has listed are set out as comparisons with other strikers. Those other strikers’ stats all include penalties, so WTF would Maupay’s ‘not count’.

Unless you just wanted confirmation of your prejudgment.

boik

You want to replace a Brentford striker who scored for fun with them for a Brentford striker who is scoring for fun with them? And the second one is guaranteed to be better than the first one?

You know the rules....... anyone who isn't playing for us is always better than someone who is playing for us. c.f. anyone currently injured.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The fact is the club and his team mates believe in him. The whole team celebrated Neal’s goal like it was the winner. Lallana in particular, raced over to congratulate him. Maybe if we all did the same, when we’re back at the Amex, he might start scoring a few more.
What? The Amex faithful have celebrated every PL goal by going batshit mental (unless it’s a consolation) in the North at least.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I heard a rumour that Potter had the team prepare like it was an away game for last night. So they met up Friday, got on a coach, stayed in a hotel together and then all arrived together on the coach at the Amex.

If that helps us win games then GP please carry on with it

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Maupay is frustrating because of the number of 1 on 1 chances he’s missed and failing to hit the target from inside the box.

A better finisher would comfortably have 20+ this season

Name me how many strikers in the bottom half of the PL in the past decade that have managed to score 20 goals, let alone 20+ goals.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Name me how many strikers in the bottom half of the PL in the past decade that have managed to score 20 goals, let alone 20+ goals.

Ings scored 20 last season and Bamford will probably do the same this.

With the number of chances we create Maupay definatley had the opportunity to do the same.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ings scored 20 last season and Bamford will probably do the same this.

With the number of chances we create Maupay definatley had the opportunity to do the same.

I doubt Bamford will. He's on 14. Ings is about the only one in the past decade. Bamford's had a cracking season but, as good as we've been at creating chances, Leeds have created far more. The only other forwards in the bottom half of the PL that have more goals than Maupay this season are Bamford and Callum Wilson. So Maupay's 8 isn't quite as bad as you claim, although I do accept that he should have bagged a few more, and isn't exactly challenging for PotS despite being one of the few players to have played most of the season.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Johnny Cantor tweeted this yesterday before the game

[tweet]1373344021117079557[/tweet]

There was a game years ago, we were the away team against a team that couldn't win at home but were good away, they did exactly the same thing, iirc it was Portsmouth, they beat us 5-0.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Well, the stats the OP has listed are set out as comparisons with other strikers. Those other strikers’ stats all include penalties, so WTF would Maupay’s ‘not count’.

Unless you just wanted confirmation of your prejudgment.

Lots of Strikers being compared don’t take the pens so would like to see the stats above with all of them removed . And like I said regardless of stats the fact is Neal Maupay hadn’t scored for ten games and admitted himself he’s not been good enough. Is he not telling the truth?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here