Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay stats vs other PL strikers this season

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I don't honestly understand how we lost against Palace and WBA, but there's no way I can blame one player for our problems in front of goal.

The difference between Newcastle results and previous dominant performances? No idea. Something intangible like confidence, perhaps?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If we put Maupay up for sale in the summer we'd get £25-30m for him. 2 double figure goalscoring PL seasons in a row says he's decent if unspectacular at this level..

But only if we bought a couple of better strikers.

Maupay's PL tally is okay and his work rate is exceptional ... by far the best at that up front for us in the last 4 seasons, integral to Potter's overall gameplans.

I hope he's part of our plans.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Would the fact that we create so many chances make us more appealing when recruiting a new striker?

As for Neil, I really like him. He will score double digits two seasons running, he holds the ball up well, works so damn hard to create chances for others (which they then miss too), and has a snap in his game that we often lack (or rather lacked). But there are better out there. He won;t be our first choice striker next season, but he will get a lot of game time I would guess.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I don’t care what the stats say (and the above would look much worse without pens included) Maupay has been poor for quite some time.

The most impressive thing was he had the balls to come out and tell the nation he knows he hasn’t been good enough in his interview last night.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Neal has been great for almost two full seasons and will hopefully continue to develop and improve the areas where he could get better.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
The fact is the club and his team mates believe in him. The whole team celebrated Neal’s goal like it was the winner. Lallana in particular, raced over to congratulate him. Maybe if we all did the same, when we’re back at the Amex, he might start scoring a few more.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
The fact is the club and his team mates believe in him. The whole team celebrated Neal’s goal like it was the winner. Lallana in particular, raced over to congratulate him. Maybe if we all did the same, when we’re back at the Amex, he might start scoring a few more.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
When a team has a frustrating season some fans need a scapegoat particularly when bad results leave you scratching your head wondering what went wrong. Imo Maupay has carried the burden of many fans frustrations this year, somewhat unfairly.

I'm not suggesting Maupay has had a great season or even a particularly good one but had his team mates been contributing more goals and his strike partner been on a similar tally, I suspect we'd be more than happy with him this season.

I'd also add that his contribution to the team is very much under appreciated, he's often the player running back to defend, chasing so called lost causes and being a general nuisance all under valued qualities in a striker.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
But only if we bought a couple of better strikers.

Maupay's PL tally is okay and his work rate is exceptional ... by far the best at that up front for us in the last 4 seasons, integral to Potter's overall gameplans.

I hope he's part of our plans.

I'm not suggesting that we do. My point really was that we've bought a player who's proved to be up to the job and is now worth more than we paid. Not the useless no mark some would have us believe. My ideal would be that we find a real up and coming CF who has pace and power, use Welbeck to mentor him and gradually replace him in the side. We probably need better than Maupay if we want to get to europe but that is a stretch from where we are now.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't honestly understand how we lost against Palace and WBA, but there's no way I can blame one player for our problems in front of goal.

The difference between Newcastle results and previous dominant performances? No idea. Something intangible like confidence, perhaps?

I heard a rumour that Potter had the team prepare like it was an away game for last night. So they met up Friday, got on a coach, stayed in a hotel together and then all arrived together on the coach at the Amex.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not suggesting that we do. My point really was that we've bought a player who's proved to be up to the job and is now worth more than we paid. Not the useless no mark some would have us believe. My ideal would be that we find a real up and coming CF who has pace and power, use Welbeck to mentor him and gradually replace him in the side. We probably need better than Maupay if we want to get to europe but that is a stretch from where we are now.

I agree.

But I wonder if Potter's going down the Klopp/Guardiola route of NOT having a centre forward as such, instead inter-changeable forwards with pace.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Maupay is frustrating because of the number of 1 on 1 chances he’s missed and failing to hit the target from inside the box.

A better finisher would comfortably have 20+ this season

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
His shot accuracy is higher because he fluffs the ball at the keeper most of the time, the shot from that cut back that was blocked summed Maupays season up IMO.

Great finish last night but doesn’t change the fact he’s had a poor season, my eyes tell me that I don’t need stats to confirm that. Put Ings in our team he’d have scored 20 this season IMO. (If he’d been fit the whole time as Maupay has)

Exactly.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Other than Pierre Van Hooidonk (?sp) a few years ago at Forest, I can’t recall many times when a team hasn’t celebrated a goal like a winner, unless 5-0 down and a last minute consolation.

Lallana went straight to Gross incidentally.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
He's still young. If he gets 10 again this season, that won't be a bad return. He also works incredibly hard for the team. He'll improve as time goes on, so I wouldn't write him off just yet.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Maupay is frustrating because of the number of 1 on 1 chances he’s missed and failing to hit the target from inside the box.

A better finisher would comfortably have 20+ this season

A 'better finisher' would cost more than £19m and be on a much higher wage.

Now others are chipping in with goals I think it's reducing the pressure on Maupay and we'll see more goals from him. From his interviews he seems to be his own worst critic and put more pressure on himself than anyone.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Maupay has now scored the same number of goals this season as forum favourite Danny Ings (8). And 1 less than Rashford and Aubameyang.

His shot accuracy (57%) is higher this season than Kane’s (47%), Bamford (51%) and Mane (50%).

And surprising of all... Maupay’s goal conversion percentage (19%) is only fractionally below Kane’s (20%).

If only his shooting from outside the box was comparable to Kane's.

These shot maps for this season demonstrate how many more shots Kane is able to take on.

Maupay.png

Kane.png

The smaller the dot, the harder the chance. Kane scores many more hard chances.

Green - Goal
Red - Missed target
Purple - Blocked shot
Yellow - hit woodwork
Blue - saved shot

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here