Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay Dropped

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All we need is for Tony Bloom to end up with another big money striker signing that we won't play and can't sell

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Amusing?

I’ll be crying too as we need the points.

I only thought of the second line there after I'd composed what I'd intended to be my full post.

It then dawned on me that VAR would then add a further element of farce to the whole thing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The story is in the Telegraph as well.

The Burnley game looks to be an important one for Potter’s side, who, despite playing well at Tottenham, have lost three of their last five Premier League games without winning.

Please tell me that's a paste error and an actual journalist didn't write that?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Oh dear, so the honeymoon is over then.

I agree that dropping Maupay and then winning or even getting a point would, well, have made a point... capitulating again (albeit playing well enough) is hardly likely to eradicate any smugness... I can imagine a big I told you so smile and a raised eyebrow... not exactly a stroke of calculated reverse psychology genius . . .

For me; if there is any truth in the ‘stories’ then he needs leaving out on Friday too, a game we can actually win... only then, will he start to doubt the size of his balls.

Humility Neil, humility... hoisted by ones own petard?

What would Maupay have to be smug about, exactly? He has scored four goals this season, two of them penalties, and his second at Newcastle only just crept in after he hit it straight at the keeper. He cost as two points against Manchester United with a stupid and needless handling offence. He missed good chances against Palace and West Brom. If he thinks he's worth an automatic place then maybe he should prove it on the field. But I agree that he should be made to wait for the chance to do it - on football rather than disciplinary grounds.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All we need is for Tony Bloom to end up with another big money striker signing that we won't play and can't sell

Can't sell :shrug:

Half the Premier League would crawl over glass to sign him

Are we now at the point where the player we admired and praised for actually providing the spark the squad is obviously lacking.
Now the player who must be shipped out for having the spark the squad is obviously lacking.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I actually think this is a good move. GPot has come across a bit of a wet blanket but is now showing he's taking no shit.

Wouldn't surprise me if the club have fed the story to the press deliberately either rather than allow speculation that it was something else

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
All footballers have egos, particularly strikers. I know we lost the game but I think Potter did the right thing if Maupay has been acting like a dick or rubbing his team mates up the wrong way you have to step in and make clear you won’t tolerate it, otherwise the rest of your players will lose faith in your leadership. Yes Neal is our best striker by a mile, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Hopefully it will be a kick up the backside, I do find it intriguing that the two players dropped for the Tottenham game for ‘tactical reasons’ happen to be the two that I would have regarded as our most undroppable players or players that have the least competition for their position.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
What would Maupay have to be smug about, exactly? He has scored four goals this season, two of them penalties, and his second at Newcastle only just crept in after he hit it straight at the keeper. He cost as two points against Manchester United with a stupid and needless handling offence. He missed good chances against Palace and West Brom. If he thinks he's worth an automatic place then maybe he should prove it on the field. But I agree that he should be made to wait for the chance to do it - on football rather than disciplinary grounds.

Agree. He has questions to answer over his performances this season.

Wellbeck to start, Maupay to come on after 60 mins for me

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Have not read the thread
Just been messaged by a Brentford pal
Asking about Maupays punch up with Ryan
Finding it hilarious he was dropped for having an over inflated Ego :lolol:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

I agree, I don’t think he’s as good as he might think he is BUT he is probably our most potent scorer at this level since the fall of Murray... however - I think DW can be better, when he gets fit and firing.

I’d like to see Maupay dropped for a prolonged period if the rumours are true, and if he is being smug and thinks he’s ‘made it’ he needs, as you say, to analyse his actual performances this season in particular.

Step up or step off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have not read the thread

Shirley it was a punch down, n'est-ce pas?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
So much for the club doing back ground checks on players attitude before buying more club bollox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Players are humans, people lose their rags. Why people are making such a mountain out of this I don’t know, it’s absolutely serious and that’s why Potter took the actions he did but having a load of grown men together all day every day is going to be fractious at times, it’s obviously gone too far this time if the stories are correct.

Providing they are grown ups about it, Potters actions will hopefully draw the line about it their behaviour and they can move on, these things happen. Background checks on players won’t stop that.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Have not read the thread

Scores against Ryan in training and takes the piss, Ryan responds with why have you missed so many sitters in games.

This could easily be the root cause. Unless of course Connolly said it whilst standing behind Ryan as one of the few in the squad that could hide behind his frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I agree, I don’t think he’s as good as he might think he is BUT he is probably our most potent scorer at this level since the fall of Murray... however - I think DW can be better, when he gets fit and firing.

I’d like to see Maupay dropped for a prolonged period if the rumours are true, and if he is being smug and thinks he’s ‘made it’ he needs, as you say, to analyse his actual performances this season in particular.

Step up or step off.

Not sure a prolonged period is required

Been punished and now we move on, dragging it out doesn’t help Maupay or the club as it becomes an ongoing issue rather than a step to stop his alleged issue.

Granted if the steps taken so far haven’t worked then he shouldn’t return until he sorts himself out ... but if he has turned back up for training with the right attitude then he should be in contention Friday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Scores against Ryan in training and takes the piss, Ryan responds with why have you missed so many sitters in games.

It's certainly easy to get to 4 when adding those two together!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Huge fan hypocrisy coming out over this - the same people flaming him for being (allegedly) a bit Billy BigBollox are plenty of the same ones that were applauding him for winding Gwenda up so much it ended his Arsenal career, goading Palace fans etc etc. You can't realistically have one without the other - he is full of shithousery, but he's our shithouse so we'll have to put up with the odd incident from time to time. If he was playing for anyone else we'd hate him - much like Knocky. I'd like to think Potter is the ideal coach to manage that kind of behaviour with his Masters, and Maupay is still quite young, and in his first season in this kind of limelight - maybe dropping him once will be all he needs to know when to rein it in a bit. We'll see, but whether it was tactical (seems unlikely now) or behavioural it's really no big deal IMO as long as it doesn't escalate

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Huge fan hypocrisy coming out over this - the same people flaming him for being (allegedly) a bit Billy BigBollox are plenty of the same ones that were applauding him for winding Gwenda up so much it ended his Arsenal career, goading Palace fans etc etc. You can't realistically have one without the other - he is full of shithousery, but he's our shithouse so we'll have to put up with the odd incident from time to time. If he was playing for anyone else we'd hate him - much like Knocky. I'd like to think Potter is the ideal coach to manage that kind of behaviour with his Masters, and Maupay is still quite young, and in his first season in this kind of limelight - maybe dropping him once will be all he needs to know when to rein it in a bit. We'll see, but whether it was tactical (seems unlikely now) or behavioural it's really no big deal IMO as long as it doesn't escalate

:clap2:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

This could easily be the root cause. Unless of course Connolly said it whilst standing behind Ryan as one of the few in the squad that could hide behind his frame?

Reverse could be true, NP fires a shot toward top corner which MR brilliantly pulls off a worldy save to keep out, NP shouts 'shame you can't save them in a game'.

Or

MR has a new pair of budgie smugglers which he is wearing for a quick session in the Lancing pool to which NP shouts 'oi Matty you Aussie prick, you've got a tiny penis'.

I don't know, the possibilities are endless...:moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here