Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay Dropped

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is showing Maupay how badly he's missed an ideal way to knock the Billy big bollox out of him?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
More like the two of them refused to appear in GP’s team bonding am dram production of Chekhov’s The Cherry Orchard.

There was more to it than that.
It all kicked off in training, when Maupay and Connolly had a pop at Ryan for not trying hard enough to save their shots.
In anger, Ryan kicked the ball as hard as he could towards Maupay, hitting Connolly full in the face.
After he was given a smacking, Ryan grassed.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Story makes no sense. Potter and Reid were exhausted of options and just couldn't get through to the boy... so they sacraficed the opportunity for a much needed 3 points in order to send him to his room and teach him a lesson?

Smells like the cover up of a bigger smell like Maupay and Connolly caught breaking orders out somewhere they shouldn't breaking the covid bubble so the less of two evils is make up a plausible ego story and only drop him for one game instead of a 7 day quarantine missing Burnley.

:lolol:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The story is in the Telegraph as well.

Brighton striker Neal Maupay dropped against Tottenham due to attitude problems
There are fears within Graham Potter's squad that Maupay has got carried away with his own success

Neal Maupay was dropped from the Brighton squad in an attempt to bring the club’s striker back down to earth.

Brighton manager Graham Potter surprisingly left Brighton out of his matchday squad for the defeat to Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, even though it meant he did not field an out-and-out striker.

Potter dodged questions over Maupay’s absence, claiming it was for ‘tactical reasons’ without going into any detail.

But it was understood that the move was to remind Maupay that no one player is more important than the team.

There were fears within the Brighton squad that Maupay was becoming carried away with his own success, having scored 10 goals last season and already netted four times this term.

The Frenchman is known to be a strong character and there have been unconfirmed suggestions that he had fallen out with at least one team-mate in training.

Rather than let the situation fester, it appears Potter decided to try to nip it in the bud before it threatened to get out of hand.

He will no doubt now hope that Maupay responds well to being dropped and puts himself back in contention for Brighton’s next game against Burnley on Friday night.

The Burnley game looks to be an important one for Potter’s side, who, despite playing well at Tottenham, have lost three of their last five Premier League games without winning.

Brighton have five points, four more than Burnley, who are yet to win in the League this season.

Tariq Lamptey has been the standout performer for Brighton this season, with reports emerging from Spain that Atletico Madrid have taken an interest in the right wing-back.

Bayern Munich have also been linked with a move for Lamptey who moved to Brighton from Chelsea in January for a bargain £3million price.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...aupay-dropped-against-tottenham-due-attitude/

Think they need to recruit a new editor!
Must try harder to write in sentences that actually make sense!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I wish we'd signed Balotelli.

Jeez can you imagine the carnage if he came here and ended up getting involved in Lewes bonfire night? That shit would go DOWN.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Think they need to recruit a new editor!
Must try harder to write in sentences that actually make sense!

I don't know if there's any truth to this story, but the 2 journo's who published, Sami Mokbel from the Mail and Matt Law from the Telegraph both published at around the same time last night.

Weirdly Mokbel's Twitter picture has a caption that says Matt Law Special!

Odd.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
But will GP go the same way as for the Spurs game and throw a curve ball and not play a recognised striker for a second game running?

Hard to tell these days - as much chance of Ryan being played up front as to whether he will play a recognised striker on Friday.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Assuming it’s true, I’m sure a few of the posters at the start of the thread will seek me out for an apology....

Nah doubt it :lol:

There's no need for you to alologise :shrug:

:wink:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The story is in the Telegraph as well.

Brighton striker Neal Maupay dropped against Tottenham due to attitude problems
There are fears within Graham Potter's squad that Maupay has got carried away with his own success

Neal Maupay was dropped from the Brighton squad in an attempt to bring the club’s striker back down to earth.

Brighton manager Graham Potter surprisingly left Brighton out of his matchday squad for the defeat to Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, even though it meant he did not field an out-and-out striker.

Potter dodged questions over Maupay’s absence, claiming it was for ‘tactical reasons’ without going into any detail.

But it was understood that the move was to remind Maupay that no one player is more important than the team.

There were fears within the Brighton squad that Maupay was becoming carried away with his own success, having scored 10 goals last season and already netted four times this term.

The Frenchman is known to be a strong character and there have been unconfirmed suggestions that he had fallen out with at least one team-mate in training.

Rather than let the situation fester, it appears Potter decided to try to nip it in the bud before it threatened to get out of hand.

He will no doubt now hope that Maupay responds well to being dropped and puts himself back in contention for Brighton’s next game against Burnley on Friday night.

The Burnley game looks to be an important one for Potter’s side, who, despite playing well at Tottenham, have lost three of their last five Premier League games without winning.

Brighton have five points, four more than Burnley, who are yet to win in the League this season.

Tariq Lamptey has been the standout performer for Brighton this season, with reports emerging from Spain that Atletico Madrid have taken an interest in the right wing-back.

Bayern Munich have also been linked with a move for Lamptey who moved to Brighton from Chelsea in January for a bargain £3million price.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...aupay-dropped-against-tottenham-due-attitude/

.....and if he doesn't Potter's f**ked up big time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Something has happened, Potter has dealt with it - we move on.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is showing Maupay how badly he's missed an ideal way to knock the Billy big bollox out of him?

Yeah, I thought exactly the same.

It's like me telling my son I don't need his help to play Fortnite, getting annihilated, then getting him involved and immediately winning a Battle Royale.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Oh dear, so the honeymoon is over then.

I agree that dropping Maupay and then winning or even getting a point would, well, have made a point... capitulating again (albeit playing well enough) is hardly likely to eradicate any smugness... I can imagine a big I told you so smile and a raised eyebrow... not exactly a stroke of calculated reverse psychology genius . . .

For me; if there is any truth in the ‘stories’ then he needs leaving out on Friday too, a game we can actually win... only then, will he start to doubt the size of his balls.

Humility Neil, humility... hoisted by ones own petard?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh dear, so the honeymoon is over then.

I agree that dropping Maupay and then winning or even getting a point would, well, have made a point... capitulating again (albeit playing well enough) is hardly likely to eradicate any smugness... I can imagine a big I told you so smile and a raised eyebrow... not exactly a stroke of calculated reverse psychology genius . . .

For me if there is any truth in the ‘stories’ then he needs leaving out on Friday too, a game we can actually win... only then, will he start to doubt the size of his balls.

Humility Neil, humility... hoisted by ones own petard.

It will be amusing to see him bang in a 95th minute winner against Burnley and run straight to Potter and give him the "baby crying" treatment.

How foolish he'll then look when the goal is ruled out by VAR.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It will be amusing to see him bang in a 95th minute winner against Burnley and run straight to Potter and give him the "baby crying" treatment.

Lol

It’ll be very interesting to see how this plays out, GP has (until now) ruled strongly re players not wanting to be here/behaving badly... sadly we can’t (in reality) function without Neil - he (both do actually, and there’s the rub!) probably knows this, unless Welbeck steps up and fast he remains our best chance of a goal... simple really.

As I say, interesting times ahead. Ultimately this could break GP... it’s happened before, and it’ll happen again.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’ll be very interesting to see how this plays out, GP has (until now) ruled strongly re players not wanting to be here/behaving badly... sadly we can’t (in reality) function without Neil - he probably knows this, unless Welbeck steps up and fast he remains our best chance of a goal... simple really.

As I say, interesting times ahead. Ultimately this could break GP... it’s happened before, and it’ll happen again.

Again - no-one know what has actually happened. There is a huge difference between a bit of an ego / something happening vs an attitude problem or not wanting to be here. Perhaps having 0 strikers / competition to Maupay is what has caused some issues, lack of effort in training perhaps?

I think the best thing that can happen is Welbeck gets up to speed and really does push Maupay for some competition for starting spots

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Again - no-one know what has actually happened. There is a huge difference between a bit of an ego / something happening vs an attitude problem or not wanting to be here. Perhaps having 0 strikers / competition to Maupay is what has caused some issues, lack of effort in training perhaps?

I think the best thing that can happen is Welbeck gets up to speed and really does push Maupay for some competition for starting spots

Agreed - here’s hoping it’s a storm in a tea cup and (socially distanced) man hugs are abound in training this week.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Amusing?

I’ll be crying too as we need the points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here