Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Maupay abused by own fans on social media

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Another example of why there needs to be some serious legal and legislative control over social media generally. Freedom of speech etc is not the freedom to abuse, stalk etc. Every aspect of living in a free, democratic society has to be accompanied by responsibility and sadly that means rules of engagement that are set and enforced by government and courts.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Considering it’s not the first time why does he bother to go on that shitty site. I get the argument he has every right and shouldn’t be abused although it’s similar to going to into a dodgy pub full of knuckle draggers whatever you do it’s only going to end one way so you steer clear.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Considering it’s not the first time why does he bother to go on that shitty site. I get the argument he has every right and shouldn’t be abused although it’s similar to going to into a dodgy pub full of knuckle draggers whatever you do it’s only going to end one way so you steer clear.
Yeah it doesn’t solve the problem, but I kind of agree. I’d go nowhere near it if I was in his position.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Another example of why there needs to be some serious legal and legislative control over social media generally. Freedom of speech etc is not the freedom to abuse, stalk etc. Every aspect of living in a free, democratic society has to be accompanied by responsibility and sadly that means rules of engagement that are set and enforced by government and courts.

Different points but agree with both.

@Justice I would suggest all of these types of sites, just don’t go on them

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Social media is a cancer. I stand by that you should need ID to have it. No ID, no verification, no posting. Then the world would be an altogether happier and more positive place.
you want to ID to post here? people are identifiable online, it takes a bit of effort to roll though a complaint to some sort of action. introducing ID would make it a bit easier to start the process, still need a will and army of online monitors to go through all complaints. its about enforcement or, making it socially unacceptable to be so nasty.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I see where you’re coming from but bullies, which is what they are, need to be called out.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Social media is a cancer. I stand by that you should need ID to have it. No ID, no verification, no posting. Then the world would be an altogether happier and more positive place.

Sounds like a terrible in this age of data leaks, breaches etc

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I watched his misses on MOTD last night and was really relieved that he wasn’t missing for us anymore. However, the abuse is still inexcusable. He can’t be happy with his move to Everton. I hope he gets a new start elsewhere.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Agree. In perfect world I should be free to walk through a shanty town at night without being shot dead like that GP last week. But it’s not a perfect world and I can help myself by not doing so. Neal should just bin off Twitter. It’s for the needy and neurotic. Full of sociopathic and gormless examples of our human being in the main. From the very top downwards!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am glad you qualified your comment rather than drifting into 'contributory negligence' territory.

I'm inclined to agree with you and @Herr Tubthumper.

The only piece of info I don't have to hand is whether this 'social media' is something of value to those who use it, a valid networking tool or whatever, making it somewhat different from a rough pub in someone else's neighborhood.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Maupay is not alone. I heard it secondhand from an Everton fan, that Dominic Calvert-Lewin has been subjected to the most vile long term racist and homophobic abuse, including from his own fans.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They do, but then if there is nothing to bully.

Surely, if you get burnt once, do you keep coming back for more?

Unless it’s NSC of course! 😉😃
Personally I don’t see why someone should have to adapt their behavior due to a bully. I agree and understand some might want to walk away. But I am glad some don’t.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Personally I don’t see why someone should have to adapt their behavior due to a bully. I agree and understand some might want to walk away. But I am glad some don’t.
Trouble is, that’s a bottomless pit. Youd need to live a hundred times over to go round correcting the millions of idiots on social media. Far quicker to avoid/ignore. I’ve never got into Twitter or FB for that reason. It’s hard enough trying to correct everyone on NSC who is WRONG ie differs from my opinion…;)

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
you want to ID to post here? people are identifiable online, it takes a bit of effort to roll though a complaint to some sort of action. introducing ID would make it a bit easier to start the process, still need a will and army of online monitors to go through all complaints. its about enforcement or, making it socially unacceptable to be so nasty.
I'd be happy providing ID to post if it was legally required. This is different as its a like minded group of people who share the same love. Social media, ie an open forum is a bin fest 99% of the time

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
The trouble with empowering the legislature over social media is they will continue to use it to punish people for benign things like posting rap lyrics.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not quite his own fans - it appears the tweet was from a Fulham fan
The replies to that tweet that ARE from Everton fans aren't exactly on his side, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here