Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don't think that it's debatable that Arsenal is a step up.

I am certain that he would have preferred to move there as their number 1 but i'm sure he was still pretty happy to play some games for them.

A self proclaimed Gooner l know, but l also fancy that our Maty, (because he is still our Maty for now), is quite ambitious, and he will be after Leno's place next season, if he signs permanantly.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A self proclaimed Gooner l know, but l also fancy that our Maty, (because he is still our Maty for now), is quite ambitious, and he will be after Leno's place next season, if he signs permanantly.

Agree, but who wouldn't prefer to be No.2 at Arsenal rather than No.3 or 4 at Brighton!! I'd also suggest that Leno is not such a great keeper that the No.1 spot is unobtainable.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm sorry but that is absolute rubbish. He statistically had an almost identical season to his first with the Albion in 19/20. He played every minute of every game (of which I watched every minute of) and anecdotally, made some of his best saves for the club.

- Arsenal Away (scoops the ball off the line and around the post to keep us in the lead in the 86th minute)
- Southampton Away (Vestergard thunder ******* somehow kept out of the top corner - arguably his best save)
- Villa Away (Grealish free-kick that beat the wall)
- Spurs Home (splendid strong arm to stop a Lucas Moura shot going in
- Wolves Home (great, brave 1-1 save to stop Jota from scoring a hat-trick)

I could go on and on, but he was objectively very good for us in that season by all metrics. He's moved on, and we have a more exciting, taller keeper between the sticks who has come through our academy. No need to rewrite history to suit an anti-Ryan narrative.

Here's a selection of his finest moments, many from 19/20.

Villa away beaten at near post in the last minute
Sheffield Utd away near post
Southampton at home weak hand....
West Ham home weak hand
City at home absolute howler
Fulham away didn’t command his box beaten easily.

He was frequently beaten from long range - those are off the top of my head without any videos.... I know there were more. I would say some of those ‘highlights’ would have been disappointing if they’d gone in, and actually included games from our first season. Everton Rooney penalty save, Palace double save... I switched off at that point, as he was okay in season 1 after a difficult start.

You need to watch the goals conceded not the stats.

The Southampton save was brilliant, but you may also recall the discussions around it being his first big save for some time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Villa away beaten at near post in the last minute
Sheffield Utd away near post
Southampton at home weak hand....
West Ham home weak hand
City at home absolute howler
Fulham away didn’t command his box beaten easily.

He was frequently beaten from long range

I don’t agree. You need to watch the goals conceded not the stats.

He was okay in season 1 - nothing more. The Southampton save was brilliant, but you may also recall the discussions around it being his first big save for some time.

Agree.

I really don’t get the love in for Maty and never have. He’s very much a beloved figure with part of our fan base. And good luck to them and him but I don’t get it at all. He was adequate as a GK for us and a good character. But wasn’t good enough in the end. Pretty much every GK metric you like bares that out.

Sanchez is the real deal and has turned our season around since making the first team. A huge upgrade, one of the most exciting young goalkeepers in Europe. Maty is the backup keeper at Arsenal. Good luck to him, we move on, end of.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Starts for the Aussies in a World Cup/Asian Cup qualifier in an hour:-

[TWEET]1400512229464690694[/TWEET]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Southampton save was brilliant, but you may also recall the discussions around it being his first big save for some time.

I did think it was very funny when someone posted on here that he never makes a worldie about a day before that Southampton save. However, in general, Big Bob has been far better and I think it suits both parties if Maty moves on to Arsenal's bench warmer.

A shame he's had some stick for some out of context comments too - seems to have about five times the humility that Connolly does.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I did think it was very funny when someone posted on here that he never makes a worldie about a day before that Southampton save. However, in general, Big Bob has been far better and I think it suits both parties if Maty moves on to Arsenal's bench warmer.

A shame he's had some stick for some out of context comments too - seems to have about five times the humility that Connolly does.

Connolly just needs to grow up. TBH I wasn’t impressed with Ryan liking the Twitter comment when Sanchez was at fault in one game.

I know some want Connolly to stay, but in terms of professional and personal development a loan to a Coventry or a Barnsley might do him the world of good... ��

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Interesting that Arsenal are signing Onana. Surely either Leno is off or they aren't signing Ryan. Doubt he is going to go there permanently to be third choice.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interesting that Arsenal are signing Onana. Surely either Leno is off or they aren't signing Ryan. Doubt he is going to go there permanently to be third choice.

Leno has indicated he might be moving. Onana is banned for another six months or so. Same time, rumour has it Arsenal wants a HG backup keeper and that would rule Ryan out.

Difficult to tell the outcome.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Being called short is not an insult, some of the greatest men in history were short.

Napoleon, Mao, Pol Pot, Stalin, Bernie Ecclestone.

Oh, I see what you mean.

Napoleon Bonaparte wasn’t short.

Vive la France

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here