Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ok, I'll bite.

In his last season with us, Ryan faced a PSxG (xG calculated after the shot has been taken) of 0.37. This was the highest in the league. However, we only gave up 117 shots on target, the 3rd fewest in the league.

This season, Sanchez has faced a PSxG of 0.25 which is the 4th lowest in the league, from 75 shots on target which is the 6th lowest in the league.

So, to summarize, Ryan didn't face many shots but those that he did were very difficult shots to save. That's why to some simple-minded folk, they believe that Ryan conceded every shot that he faced.

Now, that said, Sanchez is a clear upgrade in terms of shot-stopping but that's not the biggest factor in our resurgence.

I agree. And data is king. [MENTION=72]dwayne[/MENTION] thinks differently :shrug:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Literally the first name on the team sheet for over 3 seasons.

121 Premier league appearances.

He did a great job.

One of the most important signings the club's ever made.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Was time for him to move on and Potter bringing in Sanchez was a brave move that paid off but Ryan wasn't that bad, especially for the first couple of seasons.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yep one good save in 2 years !!!

Sanchez makes those saves every game. Humongous upgrade.

I still don't think we are playing that much better than last season. Big difference is the keeper.

Sanchez is an upgrade, (and as per my post didn’t rate Ryan), but I actually think the difference is all over the pitch. To me having been away during COVID and only being able to see one game, our improvement in every area has been immense.

Every player knows their role and we are a good little team.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Disrespectful posts recently here.

Great servant to our club and a brilliant player whilst he was here.
All the best of luck to him for the rest of his career.
Nuff said.

Well said. No need at all for any disrespect to Maty.

He is one of those players, like Propper, Montoya who came in and made us competitive while we began to establish ourselves in the top division. The Championship team alone couldn't have survived. We've since moved a step forward, but those players were crucial to us under the Hughton years

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Maty leaving was a move that suited everyone. We got a better keeper. Maty got to play for Arsenal for a bit then move from Brighton to San Sebastian. Upgrades all round!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
At the time when Sanchez replaced Ryan, most of us were wondering what was going on. Did Potter want Ryan replaced so desperately that he was willing to force him out by playing a kid until he could find a replacement? It turned out that Potter knew something that we didn't. He knew that although Mat Ryan was a decent enough Premier League keeper, the kid had the talent that, in less than a year of first team EPL football would see him force his way into Spain's squad ahead of the world's most expensive goalkeeper.

Its no disgrace to Ryan, a very decent keeper and a good player for us. He was what we needed at the time we needed it. Unfortunately for him, Potter is far happier to give youth a chance than Hughton was and has been rewarded for this educated gamble by now having a keeper who is not only a cut above Mat Ryan, but is also a cut above most keepers in the division. He still has stuff to learn, but with the talent he has, at the age he is, he could very well end up as Spain's number one and playing in a Champions League contending side.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Much like Chris Hughton, Maty Ryan was kept around for 6 months too long. Maty Ryan was nowhere near a good Premier League standard for between 6 months and a year. The performances of Robert Sanchez have been fantastic, but even if they hadn't been, replacing Ryan was an imperative necessity. The fact he can't get in the Sociedad team speaks for itself.

All that said, this is ground that has been covered time and time and time again. There is nothing new here. Maty Ryan was a crucial part of our team in the Premier League, we stayed up and his goal celebrations were truly a thing to behold at the time. History will remember him favourably and there's no reason to spend any time slagging him off time and time again.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Hope Maty is getting plenty of games after his move. A decent servant to us but the time was right for all concerned.

Quite simply this, Maty Ryan was the right keeper for us at the right time , and helped to establish us, (if there is such a thing as an established club), in the Premier League.

Ok so Rob Sanchez has come through the system, forced his way into contention, and Graham Potter, rightly, decided to go with him as our numero uno keeper, Ryan decided to move on, and the rest as they say, is history. That happens all the time in football.

None of the above means in any way that Maty is a bad goalkeeper though, and it's very sad that certain individuals seem to be taking it out on him

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
A big game this evening (7pm KO) for Maty Ryan (capt.) and Aaron Mooy who are playing for Australia in a World Cup qualifier against UAE in Qatar.

To qualify for the finals in November Australia need to beat UAE tonight and then beat Peru next Monday, which is also being played in Qatar.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
A big game this evening (7pm KO) for Maty Ryan (capt.) and Aaron Mooy who are playing for Australia in a World Cup qualifier against UAE in Qatar.

To qualify for the finals in November Australia need to beat UAE tonight and then beat Peru next Monday, which is also being played in Qatar.

Who are last qualification places between

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Peru were (are) my favourite Subutteo team due to their superb kit plus for some unknown reason the goalie had blonde hair,for these reasons I'm Team Peru,how do you do.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Aussies take it 2-1 with a late goal set up by Mooy.

So next Monday, it's Peru. Winner of that goes to Qatar.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Peru were (are) my favourite Subutteo team due to their superb kit plus for some unknown reason the goalie had blonde hair,for these reasons I'm Team Peru,how do you do.

Peru were joyful in the last World Cup, especially their fans. Got a soft spot for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here