Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
But was he good enough last season and the season before?

We stayed up, so yes by definition he was good enough. But now we appear to have found better.

The fact that upgrading the goalkeeper hasn’t cost us anything is just a very big bonus and quite a significant return on TB’s investment in the Academy.

Last edited:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Wow, over 20 pages since the video!

I thought it interesting that he made almost no forward eye contact throughout the video, always looking left and right.
If only I was a body language expert?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
He did pretty well for us until his form dropped off a bit this season. When it did he opened the door to a young talent in Sanchez who has taken his chance. This happens in professional sport especially at the elite end. Good luck to him wherever he ends up as long as its not Palace...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Maty I'll remember is the one that always instinctively yelled 'HEADS! HEADS!' to warn anybody behind the goal in the North that they were in danger of having their block knocked off by an errant shot during his pre-match workout. And the one who made a point of coming back out to the North after games to pose for photos and sign things for adoring kids (and quite a few adults) after games. He never had to do either of those things. Can't imagine there's many EPL keepers that would.

This is after the Leicester game in March 2018...
29744518_10155733009692763_1401557451114162108_o.jpg

Total respect to Maty Ryan. Top man! :bowdown:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
He’ll only be passing through......

Indeed. The cynic in me wonders whether he is deliberately acting to reduce the transfer fee Albion could potentially charge. He’s taken himself from asset to liability.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Wow, over 20 pages since the video!

I thought it interesting that he made almost no forward eye contact throughout the video, always looking left and right.
If only I was a body language expert?

Interesting observation - looking shifty cost Nixon the 1960 election ... think Ryan has lost thousands of fans on this showing...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It was his his choice if he wanted to be remembered as a keeper who helped the team stay up for three seasons or if he wants to be remembered as the dude who pretty much said "I only planned to stay for 2-3 seasons and now I'm at a much bigger and better club than plucky Brighton", and I guess he went for the latter... and yet I think he is far more likely to be playing in the Championship or Australian league in a year or two than playing for Arsenal.

This. All he had to say is 'it wasn't working so taking a temporary move to see what happens'.

Clearly very bitter at the club but this has hurt the fans more than the club (though his monetary value might drop) and they gave him great support.

Something has gone on behind the scenes which we will never know - loss of form is not the reason this happened.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
This. All he had to say is 'it wasn't working so taking a temporary move to see what happens'.

Clearly very bitter at the club but this has hurt the fans more than the club (though his monetary value might drop) and they gave him great support.

Something has gone on behind the scenes which we will never know - loss of form is not the reason this happened.

That’s actually a very good point, his comments have soured relations with the fans, I think many of us when Ryan left were quite sad, not from a footballing point of view as I believed his performances warranted him moving on soon but that he was a model pro who had only ever had a great relationship with our fans.

The cynical side of me wonders whether he’s almost trying to manafcature a way in which Arsenal or other ‘big club’ can get him for much cheaper in the summer as we’ll just want rid of him.

I only wish him well but I feel like he’s made this move seem like something it’s not, the day he signed for Arsenal and said he had come to challenge Leno for the #1 made it clear that anything he says after that point can’t be taken too seriously.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ryan is history for this fan. Disrespectful at Poyet levels. Hope we get shot of him without him ever coming back

Bitter? Moi?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don't think Maty Ryan was being disrespectful to the club when he said he's made a massive step up. Historically Arsenal are a much bigger club than us despite there not being much in it at the moment. I think we have to take his comments with a pinch of salt, he's obviously a little bit bitter about how it ended and how good Sanchez has been but let's not forget Ryan has saved us on many occasions, he's one of the best keepers we've ever had whether you like to admit it or not.

The truth is he just doesn't fit Potters style. Under Hughton Dunk and Duffy were heading out every ball that came into the box and that was on the rare occasions teams crossed against us because we usually played defensive football in the premier league under Hughton with almost everybody behind the ball Ryan is a very good shot stopper and that's all he had to really do. Now we're a much more aggressive side one of the most effective ways teams were scoring against us was via crosses because as good as Ben White and Adam Webster are on the ball they don't command the air the same way Shane Duffy did.

Graham Potter ultimately knew we'd need a keeper who can come and collect with more confidence than Ryan and made the difficult decision to replace him with an untested u23 goalkeeper and thankfully it paid off. Maty Ryan has now got a fantastic move to Arsenal to try and earn his spot there.

He was fantastic for us but time changes everything eventually.

Agree with all of this, who can really blame Maty Ryan for admitting that he always hoped a bigger club would come in for him?, would any of us be any different? The facts are that Arsenal are a much bigger club than us in just about every way, better individual players, more money at their disposal, have won far more trophies, and have been at the pinnacle of English football since time began.

Lets also wait until we see a bit more of Robert Sanchez before we start bigging him up, and making such claims as he should be playing for England. He needs to get far more games under his belt first.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I will have a lot of fond memories of Maty Ryan, he was great with the fans and had two fantastic seasons with us, if you go back and watch old highlights, you see he makes lots of very good saves in games we won and has to take a lot of credit in being part of a team that has kept us in the prem.

I personally don't think that interview is as bad as everyone is making out, I expect most players come to Brighton and hope to move on to one of the Big Six, I hope that also happens for players as it will only encourage future signings, however its probably best unsaid.

It feels like a lot of people seem to have a chip on their shoulder about this one, something clearly has happened behind the scenes that has impacted the decision to drop him and all but release him, on top of that his performances have been weaker and potentially due to receiving less protection under Potter.

I will always remember him for the Penalty save at Stoke and the mad celebrations with the players down the other end of the pitch. Hopefully everyone can move on at the end of the season as it now feels best for all parties.

I cant imagine some of your reactions when you were dumped by a bird in the past, get over it and move on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not every footballer can be Andri Orlandi.

'Procrastination is the thief of time'

I bloody loved Orlandi and from the interviews I’ve seen since he left he loved his time at the Albion and speaks very warmly about them.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here