[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
His save percentage was the bottom of the EPL pile this season and his lack of height an issue at set pieces.

The club sensibly looked at other options to improve our first team and made the hard call.

This doesn’t disparage his valuable work for the club in keeping us in the EPL in earlier seasons. For example I remember another Alamo team performance at Molyneux (April 2019?) where he made a series of point blanks saves.

As long as posters don’t get personal, we’re allowed to discuss his weaknesses.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maty wasn't fantastic for us. He was a reasonable goalkeeper but you are right - as we progressed an our style changed we needed a better shot stopper and a more commanding keeper. We now have one and Maty has progressed from not making the bench with us - to now sitting on the bench for Arsenal. Everyone wins

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Agree with this.

Things seem to have ended badly and some of the quotes attributed are disappointing.

However, Maty was a terrific keeper for us for our first 2 to 3 seasons in the PL. In each of those seasons he was in the mix for player of the season.

His form has dropped off a cliff and a move is now best for all parties.

I don't know him, but my guess is that one day he'll look back and think he could have done things and said things differently in the last few months. The frustration of playing badly and the humiliation of losing your place to a youngster is probably what's speaking here. He'll regret the way things ended.

Hindsight is wonderful. There has been a number of posters here that have questioned his ability for years. They were shouted down because others saw him as a stunning keeper, who had great ball skills and run the pitch to celebrate. Posters, like me, questioned his ability. Most didn't say he made mistakes but could see he played fully to standard, that standard though was limited. I never questioned his effort or blamed him for mistakes it's just he has limited ability.

Comparing what we have now and when he was in goal. Loads of goalmouth scrambles when the ball was crossed in, few shots being saved, playing out from the back slow and clearances not reaching halfway. Balls now collected, area dominated, fewer scrambles, quicker movement with the keeper being used in higher tempo, far more second balls being won in the oppositions half. Huge upturn in results.

Big Bob will make huge mistakes, he's young and still learning, but he has been a massive step change.

I wish Ryan well but elsewhere.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Chuck it in the other thread mate, but I agree. I hope Ryan does well but Sanchez is proving to be fantastic and that's all that matters now.

I'm not a fan of a thread that starts on one topic then develops to something else then you gotta go through the pages to find where this particular discussion starts. The other thread is still there for people who want to use it but I thought it kind of deserves it's own thread because of how much it divides opinion.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Hindsight is wonderful. There has been a number of posters here that have questioned his ability for years. They were shouted down because others saw him as a stunning keeper, who had great ball skills and run the pitch to celebrate. Posters, like me, questioned his ability. Most didn't say he made mistakes but could see he played fully to standard, that standard though was limited. I never questioned his effort or blamed him for mistakes it's just he has limited ability.

Comparing what we have now and when he was in goal. Loads of goalmouth scrambles when the ball was crossed in, few shots being saved, playing out from the back slow and clearances not reaching halfway. Balls now collected, area dominated, fewer scrambles, quicker movement with the keeper being used in higher tempo, far more second balls being won in the oppositions half. Huge upturn in results.

Big Bob will make huge mistakes, he's young and still learning, but he has been a massive step change.

I wish Ryan well but elsewhere.

His start has been incredible.

But in recent weeks there have been calamitous errors for Lloris, Allison, De Gea. Probably others.

When the errors do come for Sanchez ... which they obviously will .... it doesn't mean he's a rubbish keeper.. Every keeper makes mistakes.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
His save percentage was the bottom of the EPL pile this season and his lack of height an issue at set pieces.

The club sensibly looked at other options to improve our first team and made the hard call.

This doesn’t disparage his valuable work for the club in keeping us in the EPL in earlier seasons. For example I remember another Alamo team performance at Molyneux (April 2019?) where he made a series of point blanks saves.

As long as posters don’t get personal, we’re allowed to discuss his weaknesses.

This season he has been awful for us but I don't think that's his fault. Same with Duffy not being great under Potter. He just suits a different style of football and our style unfortunately exposes his weaknesses so it was best for everyone he left.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
A limited keeper, played to his best but never good enough.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
His start has been incredible.

But in recent weeks there have been calamitous errors for Lloris, Allison, De Gea. Probably others.

When the errors do come for Sanchez ... which they obviously will .... it doesn't mean he's a rubbish keeper.. Every keeper makes mistakes.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

He will make mistakes but we know his ability is a different level to Ryan. The future's bright its Big Bob in orange

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Drag and drop all your post-match Ryan autographed keeper's gloves, shirts, photos, gilets, fuzzy gonks, boots and other memorabilia into this thread and there'll be a ceremonial burning at 2300hrs this evening, the pile to be set alight by Beach Slut and PPF with all proceeds going to their respective chosen organisations, the Mildenhall Women's Guild in Beachy's case, the BNP for PPF.

Maty Ryan has gone to a bigger club who are never going to be in a yearly relegation battle and pushing for a European place virtually every year. Yes he's going to be on the bench unless Leno gets injured and may rarely get any 1st team action. That's upto him and I wish him all the best. All I care about it Brighton and big Bob has so far been excellent for us. He commands the area and from what I've seen so far comes out and catches more in set pieces than Ryan did. Ryan was a great shot stopper but perhaps not such a commanding figure which, as we now have a defence that is as good as almost any defence in the premier league most teams score against us via set pieces. Big Bob is simply better than Ryan at this.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ryan was a good keeper for us, is still a good keeper, but I’m delighted with the current arrangement. Sanchez is fantastic.

Good luck Maty and thanks.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It was his his choice if he wanted to be remembered as a keeper who helped the team stay up for three seasons or if he wants to be remembered as the dude who pretty much said "I only planned to stay for 2-3 seasons and now I'm at a much bigger and better club than plucky Brighton", and I guess he went for the latter... and yet I think he is far more likely to be playing in the Championship or Australian league in a year or two than playing for Arsenal.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Its was his his choice if he wanted to be remembered as a keeper who helped the team stay up for three seasons or if he wants to be remembered as the dude who pretty much said "I only planned to stay for 2-3 seasons and now I'm at a much bigger and better club than plucky Brighton", and I guess he went for the latter... and yet I think he is far more likely to be playing in the Championship or Australian league in a year or two than playing for Arsenal.

Yup. He’ll be on the Arsenal bench until they recruit, then he’ll leave........and it won’t be for a club any bigger than us.......

Real shame he’s blotted his ‘great club guy’ reputation to some extent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports