Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
As an aside, its extremely difficult to get a decent experienced No2 goalkeeper in, because they know all they'll be doing 99% of the time is training, travelling, and benchwarming. Outfield players have more of an opportunity to stake a claim or fill in somewhere, but managers tend to "stick" with their No1 goalkeeper unless their form completely drops off a cliff or they get crocked. There simply aren't many decent keepers of PL standard knocking about who would be prepared to come here to be a No2.

Sanchez has been patient and earned his chance at keeping the gloves, and we have a couple of capable unstudies as cover. Without spending a fortune on a new No1, which would not appear to be the plan, then thats about as good as its gonna get.

That's why the 'blimey, Arsenal?!' take is misguided, because they're one of the few clubs with stature able to get a decent experienced No 2 goalie like Ryan in.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Good luck Maty and thanks for the memories. Great Pro, arguably our best ever keeper and wish you well.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Steele might be experienced but that doesn't mean he's any good. Widely regarded as one of the worst players in Sunderland history.

Yet one howler apart was arguably our best player in the League Cup.

In terms of Sunderland, they were a basket case of a club when he was there. I would argue that he was outstanding for Boro , and good enough to be selected for England...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think so. To me it's all about poor form.

It's highly unusual for a regular, experienced player to be dumped after a bit of poor form. No place on the bench, and no chance of coming back.

And even weirder for that out-of-form player to go to a much bigger club.

There have blatently been some issues behind the scenes at the Albion this season. I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that Ryan has been involved.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Good solution for everyone.

Brighton gets rid of a player who had his mind elsewhere and wanted to leave the club.

Arsenal gets a decent backup keeper.

Ryan gets his, albeit short-term but why wouldnt he be good enough to be their permanent backup?, move to a "big club" (apparently also his favorite one) competing in Europe (Europa League, but anyway).

People saying Ryan "must have been a dickhead" or whatever are obviously *****, why would you make such baseless accusations about a good servant to the club.

Embarrassing

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
It's highly unusual for a regular, experienced player to be dumped after a bit of poor form. No place on the bench, and no chance of coming back.

There have blatently been some issues behind the scenes at the Albion this season. I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that Ryan has been involved.

All hearsay. Maybe Potter wanted to go another way? We can't just assume he's been dropped for disciplinary reasons. That isn't fair on Maty to suggest that imo.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
All hearsay. Maybe Potter wanted to go another way? We can't just assume he's been dropped for disciplinary reasons. That isn't fair on Maty to suggest that imo.

I didn't say "disciplinary reasons".

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Imagine you are the boss at your job for 4 years but the owners of your company are not pleased with your performance and the guy who was your assistant now takes your place and you are supposed to assist him. Would you stay or would you look for an opportunity elsewhere?

Mat Ryan played 11 games and have a save ratio of around 50%, I would imagine this is one of the lowest numbers in PL history. The most reasonable thing is to assume that Potter didnt think it was good enough and wanted to give Rob Sanchez the spot, with Ryan not particularly interested to go backwards in his career, so they started to look for a solution and Arsenal came around.

Its all very logical and a lot more likely than a seemingly very professional player suddenly going haywire to the point where the club felt they couldnt keep him in the squad.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Good luck Maty. What I really do like about Potter, is that he knows who he wants and those he doesn’t, he ships out quickly!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I didn't say "disciplinary reasons".

Having a blow out with your boss is disciplinary imo. If my boss tells me im doing a poor job, I tell him how I feel, we fall out over it, I would expect to be moved on tbh.

Anyway, no matter. We all have our own opinions on it. But in reality, none of us know the truth. Hence why I won't speculate on anything apart from his poor form, which is beyond doubt.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Imagine you are the boss at your job for 4 years but the owners of your company are not pleased with your performance and the guy who was your assistant now takes your place and you are supposed to assist him. Would you stay or would you look for an opportunity elsewhere?

Mat Ryan played 11 games and have a save ratio of around 50%, I would imagine this is one of the lowest numbers in PL history. The most reasonable thing is to assume that Potter didnt think it was good enough and wanted to give Rob Sanchez the spot, with Ryan not particularly interested to go backwards in his career, so they started to look for a solution and Arsenal came around.

Its all very logical and a lot more likely than a seemingly very professional player suddenly going haywire to the point where the club felt they couldnt keep him in the squad.

You have quite an imagination.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Having a blow out with your boss is disciplinary imo. If my boss tells me im doing a poor job, I tell him how I feel, we fall out over it, I would expect to be moved on tbh.

Anyway, no matter. We all have our own opinions on it. But in reality, none of us know the truth. Hence why I won't speculate on anything apart from his poor form, which is beyond doubt.

Blow out with the boss?

How come the fans on this thread suggesting there couldn’t have been a problem behind the scenes are the ones coming up with the vivid scenarios of what might have happened?

Weird.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here