Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Such a shame really, the end of an era even. Always seemed a team player and a strong member of the team spine. Farewell Maty and the best of luck for your future, and thanks for the three and a half seasons you were part of our team. Maybe the incentive you need to regain the heights and performances you gave us. Thanks Maty.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Good luck to him.

I don't think I've been more fascinated to find out just what happened behind the scenes though. If we don't have another keeper lined up it leaves us in a very precarious position at gk.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Assume Ryan has been guaranteed to be FA Cup and Europa League keeper otherwise makes little sense to move just to sit on the bench.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I’m a little surprised he’s gone to Arsenal as can’t see him dislodging Leno.

It looks like Leno might be signing for LA Galaxy...

LA-Galaxy-Tonight-Show-w-Jay-Leno-1996.jpg

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Gave us some good service but we have been looking to develop a first team keeper for some time and it looks like we have now succeeded. It was always the policy to develop players and save money on transfers in. It’s starting to work but is going to be a long term investment.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Did a great job for us, but we have looked so much better at at pieces since Sanchez has been in.

Good luck Matty :thumbsup:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Assume Ryan has been guaranteed to be FA Cup and Europa League keeper otherwise makes little sense to move just to sit on the bench.

Maybe FA cup, Leno plays EL knock out games. That’s why I thought the phrase in the article about more first team chances was strange.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
As if we didn't know already, he simply must have had a major bust up to go from first choice, to failing to make the bench, to Arsenal on loan...

Maybe this falling out with Maupay has continued to fester, causing a bad atmosphere within the squad. If thats the case and it remained unsolvable between them, then one of them had to go.

But why is that the only possible reason? A less exciting, but more realistic reason is perhaps simple people management.

You’ve just dropped a senior goalkeeper and putting your faith in a relatively young goalkeeper and making him your number one.

Why would you want to have the pissed off former number one constantly looking over Sanchez’s shoulder? Is that going to help? And it’s not like you just add your backup keeper to the bench a la FM or FIFA. Having Matty as number 2 means he’s always in the match day squad, travelling, rooming. Again,is that for morale? Having a pissed off guy moping, is it going to help Sanchez?

I suspect all of these reasons were considered. Weighed up. And those in charge have acted in the best interests of the club. I’m sure we as a club may also have helped shop him around, to ensure he has a good situation, a good move. No one wants Matty languishing. Really happy he’s got a move.

But none of this means it’s a bust up.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Hardly a surprise that he's gone to a better club to offer competition. A great keeper who probably deserved a bit more from the club when in a bad run of form. Best for all parties at this point. Good luck Maty.

No, he isn't a 'great' keeper, a good one yes but certainly n ot great by Premier League standards. A good move for both club and player l think. Potter had made it pretty clear that his future wasn't with the Albion, and with just days remaining of the transfer window at least this moves him on, albeit only on loan.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Really?

Seriously?

If Dunk left, that would be a sad day.

Ryan has been so so, very average for AGES. Glad that he has left, he was last good for us a year ago when he actually made terrific saves. Now he doesn't save or command his box.

Not really he was letting in practically every shot that came his way. The defenders had lost faith in him no mystery at all.

[emoji106]

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
he'd clearly fallen out of favour with management - so assume he's been a dick recently. he was a good gk, but not great.

also does this free up a non-UK place in our squad, as we start bringing in new signings?

btw, i'd never want to Steele play in goal again other than pen shootouts, which isn't that useful when you're using up a squad place. total liability as a goalkeeper, rather than shotstopper.

I don't think he is capable of being a dick - total professional.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
He is a quality keeper and I'm well happy he has got a decent loan move.
Maty was bloody brilliant for us and gave us some great memories.
Also not only a great keeper but a bloody good bloke too.
Always had time for the fans giving out gloves and shirts to the kids,happy to stop for a natter and sign stuff, jumping in the northstand,saving that kid from the stewards at the away game. he is actually a real loss to the soul of the club.
Good luck and all the best Maty and thanks for everything you have done here.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I don't think he is capable of being a dick - total professional.

Everyone is capable of being a dick given the right set of circumstances, Ryan no exception. You can see in his steely gaze that he probably doesn’t suffer fools, but at the end of the day it’s all conjecture, none of us know anything.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Not really.

Sanchez
Walton
Steele

All very capable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like what I've seen of Sanchez but I'd be amazed if we don't sign another keeper in the next window or two. Our keepers are very inexperienced Walton is untested and Steele is an accident waiting to happen.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Might be happier as number 2 at the club he supports than number 3 or 4 here. Realistically don’t think another Prem side will buy him to start for them on recent form and 6 months at Arsenal might be better for him and his family’s situation living in Sussex rather than starting in Belgium or Austria etc.

Come the summer, with only a year on his deal, doubt we’ll be getting much of a fee for him though even if he does well in some cup games and is wanted as a permanent Arsenal backup

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The manager has made the decision that he no longer wants Ryan in the squad - thats not the players dictating anything. If there's been a personality clash and a major incident between Maupay and Ryan, and as a result created an issue between Potter and Ryan, then if he feels for the sake of the unity of the squad its best that he now moves on, then thats his own decision to make. Hughton did exactly the same with Andone.

If thats the case then I think GP has done the right thing, rather than let it fester for the rest of the season (as well as wasting TB's money on paying a substantial wage to someone who is not going to feature).

When you say the manager has decided, it's quite possible, in fact probable, that he actually talked to Maty about the situation and a perfectly amicable solution was found about the parting of the ways, if that is what is happening.

And if the Andone mention is about him going out on loan, that was under Potter, after he needlessly kicked a Southampton player up in the air. It says something for Potter that Andone is back with us now, having seemingly burnt his bridges, and we are looking after him and he seems happy..... but we shall see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here