Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The ball was hit bloody hard, but I would hope Maty will feel he should have done better.
But to be absolutely clear - not one you could ever call a keeper error
Also made up for it with a couple of good saves later on.

He is a bloody good keeper.
I can't remember a single howler from him.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
To be fair to Ryan he has done ok when you consider that we paid £5mil for him. At the end of the day a decent PL Keeper would cost at least 4 x that amount. Just doesn’t have the presence to be a top class keeper. Others may disagree and that’s fine!

Therein lies the truth .
He’s a £5m keeper ..
You won’t get a consistently excellent keeper for anything less than 30 mill.
We have made some wayward signings in the prem . Ryan is definitely not one of them

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Grumitt,Moseley and Corrigan all better

Grummitt and Corrigan at their peak maybe but not when they played for us, Moseley? No chance

Grummitt played for us in the third division, great keeper but not by current PL standards at the time he played for us. Corrigan was SOO slow to get down to low shots when he played for us, well past his peak

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Before your time, Grummitt was consistently incredible. Not revisionism, he was adored at the time.

3rd division, he was not facing the quality of shots and forwards Ryan has to thwart

I too loved watching him though.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Grummitt and Corrigan at their peak maybe but not when they played for us, Moseley? No chance

Grummitt played for us in the third division, great keeper but not by current PL standards. Corrigan was SOO slow to get down to low shots when he played for us.

Modern day goalies think they are footballers,how many do you see now actually catch the ball

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have come to the conclusion that there are some very stupid, ignorant people on NSC, when it comes to football at least.

I am sure I won’t be missed, but think I will now just stick to the music and “general” threads, before the boring, soul destroying posts make me want to kill someone!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To be fair to Ryan he has done ok when you consider that we paid £5mil for him. At the end of the day a decent PL Keeper would cost at least 4 x that amount. Just doesn’t have the presence to be a top class keeper. Others may disagree and that’s fine!

I often agree with your ‘unpopular’ posts, but imho your incorrect on Ryan.

He’s been a quality keeper for us, he’s cost us barely any points in his three seasons. Not his fault obviously, but a bit more height would make him more commanding in aerials.

When we’ve been shite for much of these last 3 seasons, that’s been despite Ryan.

To get a near perfect keeper such as Alisson Becker costs £65m and wages we can’t afford. Almost every other keeper has strengths and not so strong points.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
3rd division, he was not facing the quality of shots and forwards Ryan has to thwart

I too loved watching him though.

Grummitt spent 10 seasons in the First Division with Forest, 352 games, and then Wednesday for one. In an era of brilliant teams such as Leeds, ManU, Liverpool, Everton. He was outstanding against the best, Forest sometimes running huge clubs close to the title, Forest websites and fans still talk about him.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Grummitt spent 10 seasons in the First Division with Forest, 352 games, and then Wednesday for one. In an era of brilliant teams such as Leeds, ManU, Liverpool, Everton. He was outstanding against the best, Forest sometimes running huge clubs close to the title, Forest websites and fans still talk about him.

Spot on. He oozed class. So difficult to compare the modern keeper with those back then but he was the best I've ever seen at our club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here