Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matvienko

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
You still going on about this? In 2 other interviews on Sunday RDZ said that if Caicedo stays he is happy. So that was 2 interviews where he wanted players, 2 interviews when he didn't if Caicedo stays, which was also his stance in the pre-match press conference. He has stated that he has NOTHING to do with transfers, he has pointed out where he thinks we could strengthen but that is up to "the chairman".

I have interpreted his comments (in his second/third language) as meaning if Caicedo stays he is happy, if he gets more players then that is a bonus. Caicedo is staying so therefore he is happy.
I haven’t interpreted it that way. As you said he made it clear he has said to the chairman what he feels we need and then leaves that to the chairman to sort out. As it’s stands we haven’t been able to provide him those players. If he hadn’t said it so explicitly I wouldn’t be posting this. There were RDZ words and yes I am concerned that he wants players and it looks like we haven’t been able to provide them.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I haven’t interpreted it that way. As you said he made it clear he has said to the chairman what he feels we need and then leaves that to the chairman to sort out. As it’s stands we haven’t been able to provide him those players. If he hadn’t said it so explicitly I wouldn’t be posting this. There were RDZ words and yes I am concerned that he wants players and it looks like we haven’t been able to provide them.
So you are ignoring that he has said 3 times that if Caicedo stays he is happy?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
So you are ignoring that he has said 3 times that if Caicedo stays he is happy?
I genuinely haven’t seen that. The last interview I saw was on Sunday after the Liverpool game where he made those quotes. If you can post a link to an interview since then where he’s said he’s happy I will happily concede I’m wrong.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I genuinely haven’t seen that. The last interview I saw was on Sunday after the Liverpool game where he made those quotes. If you can post a link to an interview since then where he’s said he’s happy I will happily concede I’m wrong.

From 12.45 when answering the question "Would you be happy with squad if transfer window closed tonight". after he talks about kissing Ferguson.
This is actually another interview which I hadn't seen previously, so that is now 4 times he has said this.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
He said we need players and the club knows the positions that need strengthening. He clearly wanted Matvinenko and from his words believes we need strengthening beyond just him.

We're not getting Matvinenko now and who knows if anyone else, I'd guess he wants more and better than we have and if we get nobody else in, with Trossard gone, whose to say our window is deemed good by him?

Point was about offering RDZ extended contract for a few reasons.
It's also possible that RDZ was asked for his opinion on what Matvienko was worth. If the valuation he gave is less than what Shaktar want, then I'm sure he's perfectly fine with the deal not being done.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Convenient.

From 12.45 when answering the question "Would you be happy with squad if transfer window closed tonight". after he talks about kissing Ferguson.
This is actually another interview which I hadn't seen previously, so that is now 4 times he has said this.

Fair play that does make me feel. better. He does say you can always improve via transfer market but it’s definitely less opinionated that the previous interview which was the one that worried me.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

True. He also says around 7mins in that he's spoken to Tony many times about getting more players in.

Really like how ambitious he is.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
True. He also says around 7mins in that he's spoken to Tony many times about getting more players in.

Really like how ambitious he is.
I'm sure he has and the conversation was almost certainly initiated by the club as part of their forward planning. Indeed, he is as ambitious as the club. I like him a lot, need to keep hold of him for as long as possible.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
We're not getting Matvinenko now and who knows if anyone else, I'd guess he wants more and better than we have and if we get nobody else in, with Trossard gone, whose to say our window is deemed good by him?
I must have missed this - when was it publicised that Brighton had pulled out of their talks with SD? Did they literally end because Brighton refused to pay out £20 m? With all the big money made from Biss and Cucu, from GP going the Chelsea, plus £27m from Tross -etc - surely plugging up our defence with a Champions level defender was worth the investment ☹️

Last edited:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I must have missed this - when was it publicised that Brighton had pulled out of their talks with SD? Did they literally end because Brighton refused to pay out £20 m? With all the big money made from Biss and Cucu, from GP going the Chelsea, plus £27m from Tross -etc - surely plugging up our defence with a Champions level defender was worth the investment ☹️
We might think so but we don’t have Uncle Tony’s Mysterious Magical Algorithm.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Billy Gilmour looked terrific in the FA Cup against Liverpool in the Moises role. His best performance yet and he looked the perfect replacement. My jury had been out on him, but now I'd be happy for him to replace Moises next season.

Think he's too lightweight to play in that kind of role permanently.

He's more of a Lallana position replacement imo.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Shakhtar under no pressure at all to sell given the Mudryk deal, and they're still in Europe. TB and co aren't going to get ripped off on a deal like this one.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
And you're ignoring salaries. I suspect they're a blocker for us as often as fee.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Haven’t backed the manager!!!! We’ve f***ing turned down £80m quid for Caicedo and bought two of the hottest properties in Argentinian and Swedish football. We also have the most talked about recruitment model in world football. RDZ knows what’s going on.
We have also discovered that a promising member of the U23s is actually PL ready and that is like a new signing too.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
That is still another interpretation. RDZ said that Tony was aware of what he wanted. Whether that was long or short term he never made clear. It’s still us guessing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here