Matthew Upson joins Leicester City on one year contract

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thats a big blow, replacing him will not be easy. Thats two quality CB's gone in 5 months. Bit thin there now, I hope Burke has something up his sleeve...

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Bollocks. It does sometimes feel like the Summer and Albion don't mix particularly well together!?

Time for Dunk to step up.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Might be on my own with this but I'm not as disappointed as most on here, yes he was a good player for us but he's 35 now and personally I think he faded a bit in the second half of last season.

If we are hoping the new manager is going to play a more attacking brand of football then we will have to play higher up the pitch and Upson just doesn't have the legs for that (nor Greer worryingly)

Upson has been great for us but l'm looking at the Wayne Bridge loss of last season that actually turned out with us dodging a bullet.

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Had a good season with us but will be one year older and slower, so not a disaster.
Best of luck to him.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That is a huge blow. Best defender we have had for a long long time. Gutted.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Might be on my own with this but I'm not as disappointed as most on here, yes he was a good player for us but he's 35 now and personally I think he faded a bit in the second half of last season.

If we are hoping the new manager is going to play a more attacking brand of football then we will have to play higher up the pitch and Upson just doesn't have the legs for that (nor Greer worryingly)

Upson has been great for us but l'm looking at the Wayne Bridge loss of last season that actually turned out with us dodging a bullet.

Exactly, bit of an over reaction on here from some.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Very bad news - he was quality for us. With his injury it may be that Leicester will have the same issue that Reading had with Bridge, but good luck to him.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Life goes on. Perhaps the mistimed tackle in the play-offs was an indication that he is past his sell by date?

I don't think one poorly timed tackle can said to be evident of a decline in his ability, he made a rash decision, as many players do and we got punished for it. Doesn't change the fact he was a rock for us this season. However, this is an excellent chance for Dunk to step up and make his mark.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
or maybe the club he would have signed for are without a manager and were too slow/didnt make him an offer and he couldn't take the risk of hanging about to see whether we ever got our act together. Big mistake on our part i fear.

I was sure that he was offered a new deal but hadn't signed it yet.

Anyway gone - best wishes to him and thanks for the season past.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Not a disaster. He looked very jaded towards the end of the season and I can't see him playing many games next season. I wish him well though.

You mean when it was widely reported he was carrying an ankle injury?

Thought he would stay with us tbh, hey ho wasn't that long ago we had half a dozen cb :lol:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yeah I mean, he was our player of the Season and has made about two mistakes in the year and a half he's been here, but yeah no big loss

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
My only consolation is that we all felt the same about Bridge going last summer but ended up feeling we had the last good year out of him. At this rate I'll be taking my boots to the first game of season, might get a game.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
My only consolation is that we all felt the same about Bridge going last summer but ended up feeling we had the last good year out of him. At this rate I'll be taking my boots to the first game of season, might get a game.

Exactly this. Great defender though, wish him well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports