Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Upson

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
i'm resigning myself to the loss of Dunk so a 1yr contract to Upson would suit nicely. Him and the other old boy Greer interchanging and bringing along Rea or Dallison might be very effective both short and long term.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think we saw the other night that he seems to be promoting one of the youngsters to the first team, so maybe he wants someone experienced alongside one of the youngsters. One thing CH is really big on and this is something I never know the difference with.

Apparently there are left sided centre backs and right sided centre backs and he doesnt like to play them in the opposite side from their natural position. I had never really spotted the difference before until we were chatting about Sebastian Bassong one time and he said, ''You cant really play them both together, because they are both left sided centre backs.

I was enlightened and now i know that Bassong is a left sided centre back. So if you can work out who are the left sided Centre backs and who are the right sided centre backs then you might get a clue as to who the pairings might be at the back

Spot on, Ive always been a fan of this. Upson fits perfect for the left sided centre half role, but he will need some pace alongside him if we are wanting Upson back.
Upson wont go anywhere now where he is not guaranteed to start in my opinion.

Bassong is a player I would love incidentally if available, i have mentioned him a few times along with Perch at Wigan

I want both when we sell Dunk ;-)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That account has 22k followers so is one of the more established ones although doesn't mean it's accurate. I am pleased they seem to be posting a lot of football league rumours rather than the usual 'Man Utd want to sign Ronaldo' etc bollocks - not sure if they've reat the rumour somewhere in the press though...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think we saw the other night that he seems to be promoting one of the youngsters to the first team, so maybe he wants someone experienced alongside one of the youngsters. One thing CH is really big on and this is something I never know the difference with.

Apparently there are left sided centre backs and right sided centre backs and he doesnt like to play them in the opposite side from their natural position. I had never really spotted the difference before until we were chatting about Sebastian Bassong one time and he said, ''You cant really play them both together, because they are both left sided centre backs.

I was enlightened and now i know that Bassong is a left sided centre back. So if you can work out who are the left sided Centre backs and who are the right sided centre backs then you might get a clue as to who the pairings might be at the back

There's definitely something in that left/right thing. I played Centre Back (terribly, for pub and ex-pat teams) and greatly preferred to be on the right, not just because I was right footed but because you get to know your right back and when you will need to cover them.

Upson IS a tremendous footballer and he reads the game fantastically. However we need some real pace at the back so his arrival would see Greer off IMO.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
That account has 22k followers so is one of the more established ones although doesn't mean it's accurate. I am pleased they seem to be posting a lot of football league rumours rather than the usual 'Man Utd want to sign Ronaldo' etc bollocks - not sure if they've reat the rumour somewhere in the press though...

They seem quite accurate recently with the Football league rumours so, might be something in it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Spot on, Ive always been a fan of this. Upson fits perfect for the left sided centre half role, but he will need some pace alongside him if we are wanting Upson back.
Upson wont go anywhere now where he is not guaranteed to start in my opinion.

Bassong is a player I would love incidentally if available, i have mentioned him a few times along with Perch at Wigan

I want both when we sell Dunk ;-)

I think he would love to have Seb again but he is back in favour at Norwich so i can't see him being willing to drop down a division. James Perch I don't think will be on the agenda though

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
they say "never go back"
but this is one player we should have back, mans man so good in the dressing room, still a good player and will help bring on the youngsters
get him in

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Yes please, get him in. Great player and would be a useful addition to the team.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
i'm resigning myself to the loss of Dunk so a 1yr contract to Upson would suit nicely. Him and the other old boy Greer interchanging and bringing along Rea or Dallison might be very effective both short and long term.

Regardless of what happens we need at least three strong CBs and a couple of less experienced to use in cup games for experience

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think he would love to have Seb again but he is back in favour at Norwich so i can't see him being willing to drop down a division. James Perch I don't think will be on the agenda though

its a strange one as Norwich loaned him to Watford last season for a large part of the season, then he went back and forced his way back in the side, much credit too him.
I was kind of hoping they would be buying a couple of new at centre halfs and he might become available... oh well, we move on, Im sre there are plenty of other options.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Upson was a cut above, so if he reappeared and gave us his experience and surprisingly deft touch and leadership, I'd be most pleased. He's a defensive daddy, and we're in need of a father figure.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
its a strange one as Norwich loaned him to Watford last season for a large part of the season, then he went back and forced his way back in the side, much credit too him.
I was kind of hoping they would be buying a couple of new at centre halfs and he might become available... oh well, we move on, Im sre there are plenty of other options.

What happened there was that after CH left there was a bust up between Bassong and Neil Adams so he was shipped out on loan to Watford where he did well. Then when Alex Neil cam in as manager at Norwich he recalled him back from on loan and he stayed in the team right to the end of the season

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Rosenior Dunk Upson Bonk

Does have a pretty solid look about it..... :)

I do think Dunk will go however...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here