Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Upson

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We need to be looking for young CBs really. However, maybe a one year deal, to give us time to assess whether or not, and how far, young Rea is going to progress. With Hughes gone, we do need another CB.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
No... I think we had the last good season out of him. Last year , for The Foxes,he missed the first half through injury - came back in the new year and made 6 appearances during which they conceded 12 goals. Now he has been released . We signed Hughes to give experience and leadership at the back and that did not produce much.

We need a younger,quality central defender - I don't suppose he will come for free.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not for me, we need a bit of youth and pace. I'll live with the mistakes as they learn

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
What about Joel Lynch?

He definitely ticks the boxes.

1.Ex Albion,
2.Used to play for the Albion,
3.Can play centre back and left back,
4. used to play for the Albion,
5.Ex Albion.
6. Knows the club well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What about Joel Lynch?

He definitely ticks the boxes.

1.Ex Albion,
2.Used to play for the Albion,
3.Can play centre back and left back,
4. used to play for the Albion,
5.Ex Albion.
6. Knows the club well.
Yeah but did he used to play for the Albion?
If not there's very little point mentioning him.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Could he not replace Hughes as a back up CB as needed.

Matty Upson is even older than Aaron Hughes!. No l really do think it's time to move on now. Anyway wasn't he riddled with injuries last season at Leicester?

And even if we did view him as a back up centre back, l feel sure he would still demand top wages.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Matty Upson is even older than Aaron Hughes!. No l really do think it's time to move on now. Anyway wasn't he riddled with injuries last season at Leicester?

And even if we did view him as a back up centre back, l feel sure he would still demand top wages.

That is a different question but perhaps he would come as cover earn a sensible wage and do his badges so everybody happy?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Age isn't such an issue with defenders, top class performers like Upson overcome loss of pace with know how. It's his fitness that needs questioning after missing most of last season with injury.

A fit 36 year old Upson would be a good signing.

Also would depend on what sort of players he has around him, but on the pitch much cleverer defended then GG.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Credit where it's due....one of the shrewdest Albion signings of the modern era. A gladiator for the stripes.

Sadly, that was two years ago, when Upson was already in the twilight of his career.

He deserves to retire with dignity, not in the shadow of some teen whipper-snapper, giving him the runaround as his weary old legs try to catch up.
Though If ever an ex-pro deserves a coaching job at the Amex, it's Upson.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Yep, so far we've had:-

McShane
Barnes
Zamora
FFS
Orlandi
Ulloa
Ward - (who I'd have in a heart beat).
A few minor bibbles about Bridcutt & Buckley.
+ The blatantly obvious one I always forget off lists.

This post will be followed by:-

'if we had them all we'd win the division by Christmas'.

Hee hee, that comment was the first thing that made me chuckle today, thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here