Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt Hughes The Times "Hughton feels the heat"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Last season we won 9 games in the whole 9 months. We've already won 9 games with 7 still to play.

Doesn’t detract from just how poor we have been for a couple of months now, especially at home. Playing like the away team at home is a dangerous game imo. We HAVE to take risks at some stage imo or we’ll be going down. Here’s hoping today and Tuesday are the days we actually show intent from the kick off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He has, however, better to get a point at 0-0 than lose 3-5.

This season hasn’t progressed as any of us would have liked, the absence of Gross particularly and lack of impact of our offensive signings have not helped. However, the idea we should try and play expansive attacking football, when we are struggling is madness IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As is repeatedly doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Players are always happy, unified, upbeat and positive.... when the team is winning.

We are not winning (much), so yes - of course some of the players won't be happy. They want to win.

However, if they're such great managers and know the way to play why don't they hang up their boots early and go be the next Sir Alex Ferguson? Being a manager is very, very different to being a player, and any ex player who has gone into management will freely admit that. We're setting ourselves up to stay at the big dinner table. That's priority number one.

As they go on holiday at the end of the season with another year in the Premier League to look forward to, I'm sure they'll be a bit happier.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As is repeatedly doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result.

Only we have picked up points, and our early season form has saved us. The tactics have not significantly changed, other than Murray has stopped scoring and others have not stepped up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Only we have picked up points, and our early season form has saved us. The tactics have not significantly changed, other than Murray has stopped scoring and others have not stepped up.

The tactics have changed, I'm pretty sure (although am probably wrong) we didn't start the season 4-3-3.

Didn't that come in at about the time Murray stopped scoring, making it early December.

As an aside here's Pinky the Lovable Adoptable Cat. (needs sound up to fully enjoy)

[tweet]1116829957962063873[/tweet]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Being discussed on Talksport now..........trying to make a story out of the ‘rumblings of discontent in the squad’..........’this kind of thing costs managers their jobs’.......’if they stay up (they will, looks pretty certain that Cardiff will be the ones to drop) he at least deserves the chance to start next season’ etc

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The tactics have changed, I'm pretty sure (although am probably wrong) we didn't start the season 4-3-3.

Didn't that come in at about the time Murray stopped scoring, making it early December.

As an aside here's Pinky the Lovable Adoptable Cat. (needs sound up to fully enjoy)

[tweet]1116829957962063873[/tweet]

Outstanding [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].....

I think the 4-3-3, was/is a bit of a myth, as we nearly always revert to a deep 4-5-1, it’s a bit of a ‘bend but don’t break’ approach.

Given our lack of pace up front, and when AJ plays, we cannot comfortably play 4-3-3. That’s not an AJ criticism, just I don’t think he has the pace of the other wide players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think the 4-3-3, was/is a bit of a myth, as we nearly always revert to a deep 4-5-1, it’s a bit of a ‘bend but don’t break’ approach.

Given our lack of pace up front, and when AJ plays, we cannot comfortably play 4-3-3. That’s not an AJ criticism, just I don’t think he has the pace of the other wide players.
You've nailed what those of us who don't wear rosy specs have been bemoaning all thread and aren't surprised the players feel the same way.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
I recall someone posted an article on here earlier in the week that said there was a noticeable change in team spirit - less of the 'we are all in this together' that ran through the core of the promoted team that was now being diluted down by some of the newer arrivals. Always likely to happen I guess...let's see how Hughton handles this over the next season or two...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You've nailed what those of us who don't wear rosy specs have been bemoaning all thread and aren't surprised the players feel the same way.

But as per my initial post, I’d stick with it and try and crawl over the line, and worry again the Summer and rethink the recruitment.

Pacy Murray replacement.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I had a feeling, just a hunch, that there was some unrest about exactly this last season. The timing was January and there were two important away games sandwiched by a four nil dismantling by Chelsea. We were abject at West Brom, then deservedly took the lead at Southampton and immediately passed the momentum to them for 75 minutes and drew. One point from six against relegation rivals and nought from nine.

Fast forward to the next three games and we come out all guns blazing against West Ham, concede, but still win. Then we draw away at Stoke despite being the better side and thrash Swansea. It was like we are a different team and at the time, I put that down to the players saying something to Cautious Chris and asking him to trust them and take the shackles off

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Being discussed on Talksport now..........trying to make a story out of the ‘rumblings of discontent in the squad’..........’this kind of thing costs managers their jobs’.......’if they stay up (they will, looks pretty certain that Cardiff will be the ones to drop) he at least deserves the chance to start next season’ etc

You see. The little drops of poison start polluting the whole pond.

The only sign of discontent I have seen is the posts from last week about Kayal being unhappy he wasn't in the squad at Wembley.

This is why Lord Haw Haw used to broadcast 'fake news' in the war, as it is so easy to damage morale. Gossip and rumours are both things to be ignored but mates talk to mates and so it spreads.

My opinion is that we will stay up, and Chris will be our manager next season, no matter what the pundits say.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But as per my initial post, I’d stick with it and try and crawl over the line, and worry again the Summer and rethink the recruitment.

Pacy Murray replacement.

We've got one but the manager won't play him.
We've got one who is close enough but the manager won't play him either.

It's almost as if there's a pattern forming.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

The only sign of discontent I have seen is the posts from last week about Kayal being unhappy he wasn't in the squad at Wembley.

This is why Lord Haw Haw used to broadcast 'fake news' in the war, as it is so easy to damage morale. Gossip and rumours are both things to be ignored but mates talk to mates and so it spreads.

My opinion is that we will stay up, and Chris will be our manager next season, no matter what the pundits say.

CH will be the manager next season even if we don’t win another game this season

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
May well be a load of bollocks but totally understandable if there were players losing patience with having to play such negative football.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Edging nearer to Godwin's Law. :whistle: :lol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I got close, but steered away. I did think about Chemical Ali, but people may have forgotten about him. :lolol:

Sadly Chailey won't let us forget.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here