Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt Clarke

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Looking a great option but we still have so many 'ahead' of him at a position of strength. Back to Derby for one more season seems the perfect place for the most likely guy of the 8 or so to be loaned (again). Works all round.

Then back here next season when there should be less options ahead of him (though still a lot) and he'll hopefully have continued to develop in the Champ or else raise a higher price than he would today, ala White.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
https://www.skysports.com/football/...e-brighton-defender-set-for-derby-loan-return

Looks like he is returning to Derby. Surely the definite end to the White/Dunk storylines.

Good spot.

Apparently (like Webster in the Premier League), it took him a while to find his feet although that didn’t stop him landing the POTS award, perhaps another season in the Championship will get him closer to the level we require. (That’s rated £40m+ or recent Champions League Semi-Final experience for any Leeds fans reading this).

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Good luck to him. Win/Win really. If Derby do well and he plays well again he is worth £20 million.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Good luck to him. Win/Win really. If Derby do well and he plays well again he is worth £20 million.

Yeh, we've got enough cover this season. This is best for both parties.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I always thought the club didn't like loaning to the same club twice ?

Usually because we progressively look to loan up to a higher level each time (as for instance with Ben White). With the current log jam of CBs at the Albion, the best thing is for Clarke to go out on loan again - and you can't really make much of a step up from a good Championship side pushing for the playoffs.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Usually because we progressively look to loan up to a higher level each time (as for instance with Ben White). With the current log jam of CBs at the Albion, the best thing is for Clarke to go out on loan again - and you can't really make much of a step up from a good Championship side pushing for the playoffs.

Got to take his injury in to account here though. Probably feel like Ben White he needs to get a full uninterrupted Championship season under his belt before coming back.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
35 games for Derby was pretty close to a full season!

Missed all of November and December. My point was more that, if the long-term aim is for him to progress into our first team, a full, injury free campaign will improve his game to no end. I think the club's progression route is all about consistent progression, an unbroken season is the obvious next step before the PL.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Missed all of November and December. My point was more that, if the long-term aim is for him to progress into our first team, a full, injury free campaign will improve his game to no end. I think the club's progression route is all about consistent progression, an unbroken season is the obvious next step before the PL.
Granted a loan when you don't get a lot of game time is no use, but making it a condition that you have to play every match like Ben White before you can move up a level is setting the bar a little bit high!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Apart from all being very happy to have Matt back, a few DCFC fans on the twitter replies are saying they've heard "with option to buy".

any ideas if true? Hope not personally.

I read yesterday that Derby wanted a buy option at the end and we had quoted them £10m

I can’t remember where I read it .... probably crap as 99% of stuff is at the moment.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I always thought the club didn't like loaning to the same club twice ?

Don't worry they won't to Leeds :lolol:

But i guess he did very well last season.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Granted a loan when you don't get a lot of game time is no use, but making it a condition that you have to play every match like Ben White before you can move up a level is setting the bar a little bit high!

I don't think it will have to be a clause in this case - clearly the second name on their team sheet behind England's greatest goal scorer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here