Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mathew Upson coming up on BBC Football Focus

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Who makes the loan signings?

David Burke has a lot to do with it, alongside the manger of course. Burke was one of the reasons Poyet chucked all his toys out the pram.He does like to see off a director of football...The point here is that Poyet going didn't seem to effect Upsons decision to come here in anyway did it???

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
David Burke has a lot to do with it, alongside the manger of course. Burke was one of the reasons Poyet chucked all his toys out the pram.He does like to see off a director of football...The point here is that Poyet going didn't seem to effect Upsons decision to come here in anyway did it???

You can't have it both ways.

If your point about people on here not wanting him is referring to when we signed him this summer (and therefore wasn't a Poyet signing), you're completely wrong. There wasn't a soul on here who said no to getting him back.

If your point about people on here not wanting him is referring to when we initially signed him on loan (and therefore was a Poyet signing), you're correct to a small extent in that some people questioned whether he was too injury prone - but not on 'many occasions' as you've suggested.

So which is it?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You can't have it both ways.

If your point about people on here not wanting him is referring to when we signed him this summer (and therefore wasn't a Poyet signing), you're completely wrong. There wasn't a soul on here who said no to getting him back.

If your point about people on here not wanting him is referring to when we initially signed him on loan (and therefore was a Poyet signing), you're correct to a small extent in that some people questioned whether he was too injury prone - but not on 'many occasions' as you've suggested.

So which is it?

There was quite a bit of moaning on here when we got Upson on loan. Poyet wanted the Dutch lad at the time and some people were getting all excited about that. We didn't get him, we got Upson on loan instead. That was sort of around the time Poyet's attitude started getting worse and worse, so read into that what you will...I stated at the time that Upson would be a fantastic signing, as did a few others. As it has turned out, he has been a fantastic signing. The fact that he signed in the summer, after Poyet had gone would suggest it had far more to do with the club, than anything to do with the previous manager, why he wanted to come here....If you join all the dots together and look at it for what it is, I would suggest Burke had far more to do with bringing Upson to the club in the first place, than Poyet did.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
There was quite a bit of moaning on here when we got Upson on loan. Poyet wanted the Dutch lad at the time and some people were getting all excited about that. We didn't get him, we got Upson on loan instead. That was sort of around the time Poyet's attitude started getting worse and worse, so read into that what you will...I stated at the time that Upson would be a fantastic signing, as did a few others. As it has turned out, he has been a fantastic signing. The fact that he signed in the summer, after Poyet had gone would suggest it had far more to do with the club, than anything to do with the previous manager, why he wanted to come here....If you join all the dots together and look at it for what it is, I would suggest Burke had far more to do with bringing Upson to the club in the first place, than Poyet did.

Whatever suits your agenda, I suppose.

Fact is he still signed when Poyet was manager. Poyet would have had a say whether he wanted him or not, probably in the same way Oscar has now - i.e., 'we've found player A, this is who he is and how much of the wage bill it's going to eat up, what do you reckon?', 'yes, i'll take him, sounds good'. If Poyet was a stubborn as is made out he would have said no to getting Upson; therefore he was still partly a Poyet signing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here