Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mathew Upson coming up on BBC Football Focus

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
How long ago it seems when a lot of people on here, didn't want to sign him. Old, carthorse, passed it all comments that were used on many occasions. Good to see now that everyone agrees what a great signing he was, as some of us predicted at the time. Age is just a number, you can be shite at 35 or be shite at 25.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
:lol: I'm serious, seen him respond to the very same question before :)

TTF's avatar is Max Miller. There'll Never Be Another is one of his catchphrases. There'll Never Be Another Tony Towner's Fridge is a whole different story.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How long ago it seems when a lot of people on here, didn't want to sign him. Old, carthorse, passed it all comments that were used on many occasions. Good to see now that everyone agrees what a great signing he was, as some of us predicted at the time. Age is just a number, you can be shite at 35 or be shite at 25.

I don't think I saw any posts saying they didn't want him. I probably missed the few that were here.

Edited to ask if Football Focus is on iPlayer? I can't see it anywhere.

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

I'm with Thunder Bolt - i can't remember anyone saying anything about that, i thought it was largely positive as he brought a lot of experience and we had an ex-England player/Prem regular on our books. Happy to be proved wrong though,

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Ha - I read the title as 'coming out' not 'coming up'. I should read less American football, music, film, blah blah blah.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I'm with Thunder Bolt - i can't remember anyone saying anything about that, i thought it was largely positive as he brought a lot of experience and we had an ex-England player/Prem regular on our books. Happy to be proved wrong though,

I had a flick through his arrival thread and it seems fairly balanced, some happy for his experience at the highest level and others saying he was mistake and injury prone.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Also at the time many thought we were going to get Van Dijk in the summer so they considered Upson a quick fix

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Still can't believe he plays for us - great player and a role model for the younger players at the club.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
True,quite a few were saying the same about Wayne Bridge when we first got him to the club.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004

Yeah, great signing by Gus

GUS BUS xxx

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I was at the Germany game at the last world cup, and gave him some (a lot of) shit because of his lack of pace. I'd NEVER have considered 3 years later, he'd be playing for us. Mad. Will be interesting to see what happens with him in the summer I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here