Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matchday prices 2013/14 Cat A,B,C

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Surely you can't categorise them in advance? If we're in with a shout of automatic promotion then regardless of who we're playing the last few games are going to be Triple A Plus. If we're mid table they'll be E minus in terms of desirability.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Oh how I miss those days of handing over me two bob at the turnstiles in Old Shoreham Road it was so much easier.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Why would it have any impact on ST's?

Why doesn't the individual match ticket price include the cost of staff / call centre / ticket office? Generally when you price something, you price it to include overheads and profit. My argument is that you should be adding £1 to the price of those match tickets because you cannot obtain one without paying a £1 min booking fee. You'd then have free booking for online (obviously the clubs preference), and .50p for in person and telephone. This is still exactly the same revenue as before, only it's more transparent.
It isn't transparent as the booking fee is then integrated into the ticket price and maybe the booking fee being kept separate is for accounting purposes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It isn't transparent as the booking fee is then integrated into the ticket price and maybe the booking fee being kept separate is for accounting purposes.

It seems you genuinely believe this booking fee is a real thing, like the £1 or £1.50 per ticket covers a specific overhead for the ticket sales or what have you. It's just an extra charge, it will have no relation to any specific overhead or cost, and will simply be an extra £1 or £1.50 in the income column. £43.50 instead of £42 thank you very much. Ticket price is £43 if booked online. There is no £42 ticket, it does not exist.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It seems you genuinely believe this booking fee is a real thing, like the £1 or £1.50 per ticket covers a specific overhead for the ticket sales or what have you. It's just an extra charge, it will have no relation to any specific overhead or cost, and will simply be an extra £1 or £1.50 in the income column. £43.50 instead of £42 thank you very much. Ticket price is £43 if booked online. There is no £42 ticket, it does not exist.

It's incredible the number of people who can't see it or worse: think it's ok. If it really WAS a booking fee, a sum paid to a third-party to handle the transaction, I could almost accept it. But it isn't, it is simply an underhand way to increase the price. And like VAT it is unavoidable as you now can't buy a ticket WITHOUT paying a booking fee! I'm sure if they could they'd advertise the £26.50 tickets as being only approx £21 - even though paying the VAT is unavoidable. Thankfully that's illegal, and so it should be with 'booking fees' when they're not actually 'booking fees'.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The £42 ticket will still cost £42 for platinum members.

Which completely blows your point about accountancy reasons!!!

This actually demonstrates that the booking fee is just a made up charge that the club can drop or apply to whatever condition they feel. You have proved a very good point. Thanks!

Last edited:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It's incredible the number of people who can't see it or worse: think it's ok. If it really WAS a booking fee, a sum paid to a third-party to handle the transaction, I could almost accept it. But it isn't, it is simply an underhand way to increase the price. And like VAT it is unavoidable as you now can't buy a ticket WITHOUT paying a booking fee! I'm sure if they could they'd advertise the £26.50 tickets as being only approx £21 - even though paying the VAT is unavoidable. Thankfully that's illegal, and so it should be with 'booking fees' when they're not actually 'booking fees'.

If reported the ASA can, and should, take action against the club for not putting the details of the booking fee on the same page as the prices.

"The ASA said that it found cases of compulsory fees and charges not being made clear in up-front ticket prices.

Rules state that these fees must be included in the advertised price, or at least made clear at the stage when the ticket price is first quoted."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21603714

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

This actually demonstrates that the booking fee is just a made up charge that the club can drop or apply to whatever condition they feel. You have proved a very good point. Thanks!
"Game set and match to Bold Seagull!"

[/B][/U]

If reported the ASA can, and should, take action against the club for not putting the details of the booking fee on the same page as the prices.

"The ASA said that it found cases of compulsory fees and charges not being made clear in up-front ticket prices.

Rules state that these fees must be included in the advertised price, or at least made clear at the stage when the ticket price is first quoted."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21603714

Yeah. Currently it's a new thing and yes the booking fees are shown on the same page as the ticket prices. I shall be checking my emails though, and the first time they write to me and say "Only £25 to see Brighton play Yeovil!" and forget to mention the unavoidable booking fee I'll dob 'em in!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Is this not just supply and demand in effect. The club know people are willing to pay so can't really blame them, if people voted with their feet and didn't buy tickets or only went to the cheaper games I'm sure the club would react accordingly (most likely put the cheaper games up, granted). As to the booking fee don't all clubs now implement a similar fee?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Paul Barber said at one of the supporters clubs open evening forums last season (NWSS ?) that the club was losing money on ticket transactions ie one person making a multiple application for friends and family , the extra costs for telephone bookings and serving personal callers at the ticket office and a fairer system would be introduced. Leeds United charge the same booking fees that we are now introducing. Perhaps we should get the club to scrap the additional charge and moan later on when they make staff redundant ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yeah. Currently it's a new thing and yes the booking fees are shown on the same page as the ticket prices. I shall be checking my emails though, and the first time they write to me and say "Only £25 to see Brighton play Yeovil!" and forget to mention the unavoidable booking fee I'll dob 'em in!

It will read as "Only £25 to see Brighton play Yeovil*"

*booking fee applicable

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Paul Barber said at one of the supporters clubs open evening forums last season (NWSS ?) that the club was losing money on ticket transactions ie one person making a multiple application for friends and family , the extra costs for telephone bookings and serving personal callers at the ticket office and a fairer system would be introduced. Leeds United charge the same booking fees that we are now introducing. Perhaps we should get the club to scrap the additional charge and moan later on when they make staff redundant ?

You're trying to create arguments with me that aren't there.

I've already said the booking fee should be added to the ticket price. There would be no difference in revenue as the booking fee is adding to each ticket whether multiple purchase or not. You yourself commented on my post which said exactly this and came up with some other argument about accountancy.

Now you're going off on a tangent about redundancies, and suggesting I'm moaning about the cost when I haven't once.

There is absolutely no reason why every ticket sold individually shouldn't be £1 more, booked free via the internet, .50p for telephone bookings, .50p in person.

Personally, I wouldn't take anything Leeds do as a reasonable model for how to run a business or behave in general. :thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You're trying to create arguments with me that aren't there.

I've already said the booking fee should be added to the ticket price. There would be no difference in revenue as the booking fee is adding to each ticket whether multiple purchase or not. You yourself commented on my post which said exactly this and came up with some other argument about accountancy.

Now you're going off on a tangent about redundancies, and suggesting I'm moaning about the cost when I haven't once.

There is absolutely no reason why every ticket sold individually shouldn't be £1 more, booked free via the internet, .50p for telephone bookings, .50p in person.

Personally, I wouldn't take anything Leeds do as a reasonable model for how to run a business or behave in general. :thumbsup:

Adding the booking fee onto the ticket price means charging away fans for a service they haven't been provided with as they can only buy a ticket from their own club to watch a game at The Amex.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I just clicked the link in the first post of this thread. But agreed they're not in that PDf. Can we do 'em?

They'll no doubt have a disclaimer in the small print in the terms and conditions , "errors and omissions excepted" to cover themselves.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
They'll no doubt have a disclaimer in the small print in the terms and conditions , "errors and omissions excepted" to cover themselves.
But that was the point Creaky was making (post #149). It HAS to be obvious (which it is on the page the first post is linked to) as opposed to hidden away in the small print.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here