Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matchday prices 2013/14 Cat A,B,C

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Game Categories.

Is this a good idea? I suppose it had to come but I can't help wondering if there will be more A games than C games. I suppose those that just watch the occasional game might save a few quid. £25, £30 & £32.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
How do they categorise it?

Millwall for example....is it based on amount of homicidal maniacs that follow them, or is it the standard of opposition, ie Leicester etc

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Don't most weekend matches sell out? Surely they should all be CAT A if they are following market forces and the midweek fixtures will be CAT C?

I don't really understand the categorisation anyway. Why should a game against Barnsley (for example) be less attractive than say Reading?

Granted, more away fans, but how much money does that equate to?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Also if you're top of the league and playing well then all the games are A games to me.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I think something like this would be fair, depending on whether they are on midweek or not of course, cannot be bothered to find out.

League Cup first round: £10 adults, £5 the rest.

League:

Cat A:
Leeds
Reading
Forest
Leicester
QPR

Cat B:
Birmingham
Blackburn
Bolton
Blackpool
Bournemouth
Charlton
Derby
Ipswich
Middlesbrough
Millwall
Watford
Wednesday
Wigan

Cat C:
Barnsley
Burnley
Doncaster
Huddersfield
Yeovil

Something along those lines.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Is this a good idea? I suppose it had to come but I can't help wondering if there will be more A games than C games. I suppose those that just watch the occasional game might save a few quid. £25, £30 & £32.
But those AREN'T the prices! Tickets are £26.50, £31.50 and £33.50 with a 50p discount if you buy on line.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The categories will be something amongst these lines:

Cat A:
Leeds
Reading
Forest
Leicester
QPR
Wigan
Bolton
Charlton

Cat B:
Birmingham
Blackburn
Blackpool
Bournemouth
Derby
Ipswich
Middlesbrough
Millwall
Watford
Sheffield Wednesday
Burnley

Cat C:
Barnsley
Doncaster
Huddersfield
Yeovil

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I'm in the East upper and I only once bought a ticket for the Arsenal cup game at £37+£2 last year. I thought that was over the top as I'd already refused to pay that figure for the Newcastle match. I don't care if we draw Man U at home. There's no way I'm paying £42+£1 for my seat. Oh and I'm in the wings too, so I guess with the West Upper not having wings prices anymore, the East won't get them (something I have been requesting the club to do). £43 quid to watch a Brighton match from my Wings seat almost by the corner flag? No thanks. 2 seats free for all cup games in ESU A block.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
The categories will be something amongst these lines:

Cat A:
Leeds
Reading
Forest
Leicester
QPR
Wigan
Bolton
Charlton

Cat B:
Birmingham
Blackburn
Blackpool
Bournemouth
Derby
Ipswich
Middlesbrough
Millwall
Watford
Sheffield Wednesday
Burnley

Cat C:
Barnsley
Doncaster
Huddersfield
Yeovil

As if Wigan will be Cat A. Good luck trying to get more than 10 Wigan fans to pay £42 for a ticket and come all the way to Brighton.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
As if Wigan will be Cat A. Good luck trying to get more than 10 Wigan fans to pay £42 for a ticket and come all the way to Brighton.

Irrelevant of whether Wigan is Cat A, B or C it will have little impact on their away following which will be less than a hundred.

It's more to do with the prestige of the opposition and to be welcoming an EPL side from last year and current FA Cup holders will certainly make it a Category A game.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Irrelevant of whether Wigan is Cat A, B or C it will have little impact on their away following which will be less than a hundred.

It's more to do with the prestige of the opposition and to be welcoming an EPL side from last year and current FA Cup holders will certainly make it a Category A game.

I suppose when you put it that way. Forgot they somehow managed to win the FA Cup last season..

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
I'm pleased I have a ST this season but if I didn't I'd just buy tickets from other people rather than fork out all that cash for 1 game

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It's basically a stealth tax. Our ticket prices are not our ticket prices.

First you have to deduct the saved cost of your travel. For 90% or so attending the Amex, this will range from £4 to £10 or so.

Then you have to add the booking fee, either £1, or £1.50.

It's not very honest this booking fee stuff to be fair. If one method was free, then that would be fair enough, but if all methods are at least £1, then the ticket price should be £1 more, not an added fee.

But that would push up the price of ST's dramatically because every game would suddenly be £1 more expensive.

The individual game prices booking fee covers the cost of having staff in the call centre / ticket office and to cover the cost of the firm responsible for administering online sales, something that isn't needed with sales being done in one go by a ST purchase

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Don't most weekend matches sell out? Surely they should all be CAT A if they are following market forces and the midweek fixtures will be CAT C?

I don't really understand the categorisation anyway. Why should a game against Barnsley (for example) be less attractive than say Reading?

Granted, more away fans, but how much money does that equate to?
Using that specific comparison, a lot. Barnsley couldn't even manage to sell 300 tickets for their trip here last season. Reading will easily manage 5 times that number.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But that would push up the price of ST's dramatically because every game would suddenly be £1 more expensive.

The individual game prices booking fee covers the cost of having staff in the call centre / ticket office and to cover the cost of the firm responsible for administering online sales, something that isn't needed with sales being done in one go by a ST purchase

Why would it have any impact on ST's?

Why doesn't the individual match ticket price include the cost of staff / call centre / ticket office? Generally when you price something, you price it to include overheads and profit. My argument is that you should be adding £1 to the price of those match tickets because you cannot obtain one without paying a £1 min booking fee. You'd then have free booking for online (obviously the clubs preference), and .50p for in person and telephone. This is still exactly the same revenue as before, only it's more transparent.

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
I just paid for 3 tickets for the Villarreal game, each ticket will be uploaded to our smart cards and I had to pay an extra £1 for each ticket to do that....RIP OFF?! Lucky the actual ticket was do cheap

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here