Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ***MATCH RATINGS vs ARSENAL***

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
We were pretty average to be honest; that makes it even better that we beat a ‘top six’!

Ryan 7: Loved the Aubameyang save where he had to change direction.

Webster 7: Two lovely tackles and some great positioning. Seems to have finally found his Premier League confidence.

Dunk 8: As good as Webster but with an added goal.

Burn 6: A number of crosses headed out the box but no attacking threat today and didn’t look confident against the Pépé pace.

Schelotto: 6 He was fine but nothing special.

Pröpper: 6 Awful 1st half, much better 2nd when he started pushing forward.

Bissouma: 8 MOM. Another match, another MOM performance. Contact extension this summer?

Mooy: 6 Not as bad as others thought but didn’t look comfortable on the flank. His yellow was all Potter needed to haul the Aussie-baldy off.

Trossard: 6 Just average. Didn’t make much happen.

Gross: 5 Won’t start on Tuesday. Radar off.

Maupay: 7 No service. But kept sniffing about all game making the Arsenal back line uncomfortable. Lovely dinked goal.

SUBS

Connolly: 6 One amazing flick, nothing else.

Montoya: 6 Looked solid.

McAllister: 7 I was happy with a draw. He wasn’t. A decisive and direct pass, the sort of service Maupay had been starved of for most of the match.

March: 6 One amazing ball across goal. Nothing else.

You’re spot on with your assessment of Dan Burn. Certainly not his best game but marks of 4 and even 5 harsh. He must have headed out at least 3 dangerous corners between the 6 yard box and penalty area.

Not just that he stuck to his task well and kept his head on a yellow. I thought he done ok.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I agree, mostly, with quite a lot of that, but . . . If we go best 11 every week we'll have a shit bench and be more predictable than Burnley. . . I'd rather stick with a dynamic manager who can think and change as a game progresses . . . . Maybe March @ HT was a trick . . . .change formation slightly . . .happy with Status Quo, then as soon as the Arse got complacent, hit em! We seemed to have more on the bench than they did.

No, I don't agree. We have a lot of good options in the squad and our bench will be strong whoever the first 11 are. We have been at this level for 3 years, we can't be claiming not to have any quality in depth now. We have assembled a good squad of footballers, our expectation should be that all of them are capable of performing better than we did. March at left wing back could easily have cost us the game, we were sleepwalking at 1-0 down and only the instincts of Dunk got us level and the incisive pass from Mac Allister led to the winner. Neither thing was inspired by anything Potter did and if Mac Allister had come on much sooner we could have been in a far better position than we were. It's obvious he's better than Mooy and Gross, so he should find himself in the team and somewhere other than the non-position Mooy and Gross have been playing.

We've just done the double over Arsenal.....!

In the away game we looked like things were starting to click, the formation seemed settled and the players seemed to know what they were expected to do. That didn't seem the case today and he's a lucky manager tonight. The performance was bad and he'll know that, even if you don't. It was the first game back, fair enough. But the playing players in a formation which doesn't suit them has been a problem all season, not just today. If you disagree, I respect that, but that's how I see it and I think we're a lot lower in the league table than we would be if we better played to the strengths of our players.

Maybe I am overrating our players, but I'm confident they're better than the league table shows.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
For me the combination of Mooy, Trossard and Gross just doesn't work none of them are bad players but as a collective it simply doesn't work and we need them to support Maupay quicker.
A decent performance but let's be honest we were helped by Aresenal bellendery.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
more of the same.

Bissouma 8 MOM. If he'd been carded in the first half or early in the second it would be different, but he wasn't
Dunk 8. A run of the mill performance for him i.e. excellent.
Maupay and Ryan 7+ If Maupay can keep up these levels of intensity for the majority of the remaining games we'll be alright, similarly Ryan playing like that will save us a few points
6 or 7 for the rest, (that might be a bit generous for Gross and Mooy)

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
Am I being stupid in thinking Mac Allistair definitely deserves a positive rating rather than an N/A? He only touched the ball once and in that move we scored - for me he deserves appreciation; to not appreciate his input is to judge him by minutes on the pitch rather than involvement

We've just done the double over Arsenal.....!

Sure but we got to be honest it wasn't quite the level of performance of the Emirates win. The mixed ratings people are giving highlight that I reckon

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Am I being stupid in thinking Mac Allistair definitely deserves a positive rating rather than an N/A? He only touched the ball once and in that move we scored - for me he deserves appreciation; to not appreciate his input is to judge him by minutes on the pitch rather than involvement

What would you score him? Very tough to give someone a mark out of 10 when they’ve only played 2/3 minutes.

I agree his contribution was ultimately telling but you can’t score him in the context of the game.

Great for him to be involved and help create our winning goal and my n/a isn’t that I don’t appreciate him, it’s not enough minutes to judge him on a 0-10 basis.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
McAllister beard 5
McAllister sideburns 4
McAllister Hairstyle 5
McAllister Tattoos 4
McAllister Gait 6
McAllister Spitting distance 3
McAllister boot choice 7
McAllister pitch entry 4
McAllister to start at Leicester 9
McAllister goal celebration 6
McAllister passing 10

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
For me the combination of Mooy, Trossard and Gross just doesn't work none of them are bad players but as a collective it simply doesn't work and we need them to support Maupay quicker.

Agree Maupay gets little help from midfield. All his career Mooy has played creative attacking midfielder and we play him on the wing. Unless we are going to play him central may as well leave him out as we have better wide players

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Other than MacAllister who we just haven’t seen enough yet (but the signs are good), Gross is the best no 10 for me, really good at arriving late and very intelligent.

Mooy is industrious but too one footed and Trossard is more of a wide player IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Im enjoying juxtaposition of Groß - 2 (who wasn't at his best, far from it) with the MotD highlights consisting of him banging in inch perfect cross after cross.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
more of the same.

Bissouma 8 MOM. If he'd been carded in the first half or early in the second it would be different, but he wasn't
Dunk 8. A run of the mill performance for him i.e. excellent.
Maupay and Ryan 7+ If Maupay can keep up these levels of intensity for the majority of the remaining games we'll be alright, similarly Ryan playing like that will save us a few points
6 or 7 for the rest, (that might be a bit generous for Gross and Mooy)

Pretty much how I score them. Surprised at 6s for Ryan in some posts.

Ali Mac is going to be a superstar. As well as setting up the goal, he also flew in with a superb block (on our own line) right before the final whistle to prevent a cross. Can see him starting games very soon.

....and as for Maupay, unbelievable effort throughout, and having the energy for that thought and burst on 95 mins was excellent. Superb composed finish too. Absolutely LOVED his post-match interview. Seems like he has come back with his confidence sky-high. Bodes really well for us.

Can allow Potter a poor first 45 mins. Made the right changes at the right time. Once again was 100% prepared to go for it at 1-1 with 20 minutes to go - Chris would have absolutely shut up shop and taken the point.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Latest scapegoat for some......... sadly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just written a Pulitzer Prize winning piece on the Connolly thread, saying much the same.

The need to have a scapegoat will always always baffle me.

Yesterday doesn't happen too often, sure it wasn't a '10's all round' performance, but to come away and temper that elation with Gross - 2, always makes me wonder 'why do you bother, football just isn't for you'.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Ryan - 9 - several very good saves
Schelotto - 7- a very controlled performance
Burn - 7
Webster - 8
Dunk - 9 great game
Mooy - 6- faded second half
Gross - 6- as above
Bissouma - 10 - MoM fantastic game I hope he can maintain that level going forward some great touches
Propper - 8 - looks better being further forward
Trossard - 6 - Needs to do some weights and build up his upper body strength
Maupay - 9.5 - great game great goal great interview put down

Subs:

Connely - I can't score him but one fantastic touch to set up the winner but apart from that I can only remember him touching the ball once

Macallister - Again I can't score but special mention, only on for a moment and fires forward a great ball for the winner

March - couple of reasonable crosses

Montoya - couple of touches always so well turned out

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ryan - 9 - several very good saves
Schelotto - 7- a very controlled performance
Burn - 7
Webster - 8
Dunk - 9 great game
Mooy - 6- faded second half
Gross - 6- as above
Bissouma - 10 - MoM fantastic game I hope he can maintain that level going forward some great touches
Propper - 8 - looks better being further forward
Trossard - 6 - Needs to do some weights and build up his upper body strength
Maupay - 9.5 - great game great goal great interview put down

Subs:

Connely - I can't score him but but one fantastic touch to set up the winner but apart from that I can only remember him touching the ball once

Macallister - Again I can't score but special mention, only on for a moment and fires forward a great ball for the winner

March - couple of reasonable crosses

Montoya - couple of touches always so well turned out

Mooy’s influence definitely waned second half. You do realise he was substituted at half time!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Ryan - 7. Made some decent saves, but just as likely as ever to scream "keeper!!" for a cross and get nowhere near it. Good game overall.
Burn - 6. Slow start, improved generally. Needless booking by diving in on Saka early on put him under more pressure than necessary
Dunk - 9. Absolutely class. Easily our best player and player of the season. Even scored again!
Webster - 8. Excellent alongside Dunk. Good passing and one fantastic goal saving tackle.
Schelotto - 6. Runs hard, a real workhorse. A bit of the headless chickens about him sometimes. Excellent cross on stroke of half time should've been converted.
Groß - 3. Can't remember him touching the ball meaningfully in open play. Dreadful set pieces. Drop him.
Mooy - 5. Not his best game but hustled in the midfield in first half. Needs to up his game.
Bissouma - 7. Had a very tidy game, lucky not to be booked and was knackered long before the end. Still slightly unclear on what he "does"? Is he a destroyer, a box to box guy, a playmaker? Seems to do a bit of everything without really ever standing out.
Trossard - 4. Slightly better than Groß in that he provided a passing option on occasion. But generally a really poor game for him.
Pröpper - 6. Sluggish start, improved with time. Dreadful blind pass early on to their forwards lucky not to be punished.
Maupay - 8. Our bright spark in the first half and a fantastic winning goal. A great performance with fire in the belly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here