[Albion] Match experience last night?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
Yes, I'm normally a beer drinker and transitioned to Bovril last night. Well, that's what it was called, but in reality it was hot brown water with a lump of undissolved salt at the bottom.

After I queued for five minutes and bought my drink I was approached by someone who wanted to give me £3 in cash so I could buy them a cup of tea with my card. That put me back in the queue for another five minutes...... I did the decent thing and refused the premium that was offered for the tea.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Was there that crap full pelt 10pm run in the dark for the trains back to civilisation, not much minding who you knocked over in the process?Always found that part of the Match Day (Evening) experience pretty vile to be honest

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
Also props to the guy in the North Stand who kept shouting how much he loved Tariq and called Vestergaard a mutant :clap2:

When Vestergaard stole a ball from an unsuspecting Brighton player in the first half someone near me shouted questioning how anyone could not see someone that big approaching. That was one thing that was different with the experience last night: the players and officials must have heard the insults thrown at them far more than usual.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
Was there that crap full pelt 10pm run in the dark for the trains back to civilisation, not much minding who you knocked over in the process?Always found that part of the Match Day (Evening) experience pretty vile to be honest

It was a very civilised stroll to the station and wander down the ramps for the Eastbound trains. Stewards were offering counselling on the way.....

Dr. No

Nov 28, 2016

No.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
South West Corner.

It was only in the second half that I noticed you lot up there in that corner. Looked like you might feel quite isolated - is that how it felt being there?

I was in there as well.

My take homes from last night's experience:

Was able to leave home later than normal, just before 7, got to Bridge car park by about 7.30pm. Crowd free walk to the stadium. Slight ball ache to have to walk 270 degrees to the South West entrance. I assume this is to maintain the one way route? All fine, not a gripe at all, was just surprised, but obviously didn't read the email.

So as with all 1901 entrances you are greeted by "far too many staff" in my view. It's all a bit "welcome to a posh hotel" and unnecessary. On this occasion it probably helped, in that one checked your ticket and ID. We didn't have to take your facemask off though so you could wing that bit if you were being naughty (I wasn't). We then had our temperature taken, and then checked in on the app. Rather than scanning the ticket, they took it from me and scanned it. (this was a third person by the way). Not sure of the need to create a further hand touch point, but I quickly sanitised my hands so no real beef.

Up the stairs and ushered into the lounge. At this stage it was 7.45pm and I wanted to go to my seat, but no, further check in process in lounge, took your name, for their system this time. Then allocated a table which would be "ours for the night". Woohooo. Now 7.50pm, so we sat down and then got up. Left for our seats.

Seats were not as spread out as for the Chelsea game, only one seat between each person, but maybe that leg room is slightly bigger in 1901?

Everyone wore masks, other than a young lady who was eating crisps.

Like others have mentioned the tannoy for GOSBTS was really quiet. Bit odd. I only really picked it up near the end.

The match itself - glasses issue - see other thread https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?384250-Glasses-Spectacles-and-face-masks-at-football

Match finished and we all trooped out. I'd say it was fine walking back to the stadium but as I've personally not really gone anywhere since Covid-19 hit I found the crowds a bit too much in the tight alley back to Bridge car park. I wouldn't want more than there was and I know that car park was not sold out.

Finally, not sure why the strange selection of 1901 position in the South West corner. It felt very remote from everywhere else. Why not use one of the West Stand lounges and North West half? Or frankly I'd have been happier in East Upper with no lounge access. Our normal seat is in the Northern half of the West tier. It doesn't have to be the same, but I'm not sure of the rationale of choosing this?

And VAR, can do one.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Match experience last night?

Opened the fridge at about 7:00 pm grabbed a cold beer, was on my comfy sofa to listen to the so called pundits waffling on about Spurs v Arsenal from the previous day.

7:55 on my third beer, 8:00 match kicks off, sofa still comfy, then 20 mins of average football until a pen awarded to us, here we go easy easy, Groß slots it away nicely.

Sure Wellbeck should have buried one in the first half, anyway off to the fridge for more refreshments.

Back to the comfy sofa, 2nd half a turgid load of old bollocks, then some lanky bloke blast in a free header as the zonal marking is absolute shite.

Off for another beer, then some argy bargy involving the March fellow and the ref awards a free kick,

Oh hang on wait a minute VAR wants a gander and **** me if they don't override the refs decision and award Southampton a penalty.

Now we are well and truly ****ed, game meanders on, mind numbing to say the least, ref blows final whistle, I pick up remote and change the channel as I can't be arsed to listen to Potter's post match bollocks.

Looking on the bright side it will soon be Christmas and have some Turkey. :xmas:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
*very easy (and almost surreal) trip in - walked past the bus park and down the steps to see virtually no-one on the external concourse
*ID closely checked, no temp check
*googlepay ticket worked fine first time
*internal concourse very civilised, very small queues for food and drink, everyone following the rules pretty much although a few moved 1-2 seats after HT but still spaced
*GOSBTS was crap - sound system too quiet, crowd way too fast (as usual). All over the place
*Atmosphere not as good as the Chelsea friendly (as expected as the latter was a large % of normal away following)
*no queue for loo and almost no queue for a drink at HT
*steward managing ‘one way’ system on the steps pretty well
*quickest exit and drive home EVER

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Match experience last night?

Opened the fridge at about 7:00 pm grabbed a cold beer, was on my comfy sofa to listen to the so called pundits waffling on about Spurs v Arsenal from the previous day.

7:55 on my third beer, 8:00 match kicks off, sofa still comfy, then 20 mins of average football until a pen awarded to us, here we go easy easy, Groß slots it away nicely.

Sure Wellbeck should have buried one in the first half, anyway off to the fridge for more refreshments.

Back to the comfy sofa, 2nd half a turgid load of old bollocks, then some lanky bloke blast in a free header as the zonal marking is absolute shite.

Off for another beer, then some argy bargy involving the March fellow and the ref awards a free kick,

Oh hang on wait a minute VAR wants a gander and **** me if they don't override the refs decision and award Southampton a penalty.

Now we are well and truly ****ed, game meanders on, mind numbing to say the least, ref blows final whistle, I pick up remote and change the channel as I can't be arsed to listen to Potter's post match bollocks.

Looking on the bright side it will soon be Christmas and have some Turkey. :xmas:

How many beers did you have ? Lanky bloke’s header was before half time...........[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yes, I'm normally a beer drinker and transitioned to Bovril last night. Well, that's what it was called, but in reality it was hot brown water with a lump of undissolved salt at the bottom.

After I queued for five minutes and bought my drink I was approached by someone who wanted to give me £3 in cash so I could buy them a cup of tea with my card. That put me back in the queue for another five minutes...... I did the decent thing and refused the premium that was offered for the tea.
The hot drinks on offer are like pond water, my hot chocolate was nothing like the Hotel Chocolat I'm used too

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Impressive given the usual time it takes to exit car parks at The Amex.

Yep, the Bennett's stewards insisted everyone reversed into their space.
I literally got in the car and didn't stop going forward from the second I turned the key.

RioGrandeGull

Jan 9, 2013
Isle of Wight

Looking at it as the 22.10 pulled out to Brighton, there was no-one in the queue!
We all got on that train, a 4 car, with plenty of room inside too...
Even the 22.32 out of Brighton to Chichester was not too busy either.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Being spread out was the worst bit TBH, not being able to sit next to my son and chat easily wasn't great and and I saw the stewards moving a couple of young kids away from their parents which felt heavy handed.

The Millwall v Reading match tonight on TV the Millwall fans absolutely no social distancing everyone was in little groups, stewards no where to be seen, it's that sort of flagrant behaviour from these thick as s**t t***s that will be a problem for us all

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Sounded great on the stream. You realise how many bits the canned sound misses out on, like little sarcastic groans and abuse at fouls and so on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports