[Albion] Match day Travel Survey

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
How will they check tickets on the Brighton Falmer train though?
They can't at Falmer, not enough gates. I suspect for this reason the train subsidy will stay in place. Even for cup games where the subsidy is in place you can still travel from Brighton to Falmer without using your ticket (even though I do buy one on this occasions)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I will be disappointed if the club, after being a pioneer of something progressive, ditch the travel scheme.

Jul 7, 2003
I was expecting a free text box at the end for other comments.

Disappointed to see no reference to reintroducing subsidy to Seagulls Travel which you could take as another inference that they are looking to remove / reduce the free travel options.

I have a feeling that it will be free travel between Brighton / Falmer / Lewes on the train (just because it is currently too difficult to enforce ticket checks at Falmer) and then nothing more.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
While I don't use the P&R I thought it was interesting that the paying option (up to £10) was on a per person basis, not a per vehicle basis, so £50 if you have 5 people in the car. No doubt this was to catch the walk ups.

I'm fully expecting free travel to be limited to trains between Brighton and Lewes and scheduled buses in the local area, with those using P&R having to pay, as existing car park uses do.

Whether this brings about a reduction in ticket prices we will wait and see, but I'm not expecting any reduction.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have just completed the survey. I’d actually prefer cheaper ticket prices and no free travel.
And you think BOTH of those things will happen?

I'd be prepared to be 50% disappointed, if I were you.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Once again a poll rigged. Whatever your answer they'll twist it to their advantage.
Big question is the 'will you renew' to which I guess everyone will say no.
P&R surely should be per car as it always is with events other than EPL. Per person would encourage people to drop off passengers at the ground first thus causing chaos.
Training day parking at the ground was £5 and car (coach) park was full. A small cost people will pay, the same as P&R for the FA Cup.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I’ll renew of course, but it’ll add an extra £10 onto my journey every game… making that an extra £190 a season.

They always bragged the ticket prices took this into account, so I’d be disappointed if the price didn’t drop when they get rid of it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
While I don't use the P&R I thought it was interesting that the paying option (up to £10) was on a per person basis, not a per vehicle basis, so £50 if you have 5 people in the car. No doubt this was to catch the walk ups.
There would have to be more of a re-jigging than that, as, say £40 for a family of four to use the PnR doesn't stack up very well with £15 to park in one of the car parks.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

I'm fully expecting free travel to be limited to trains between Brighton and Lewes and scheduled buses in the local area, with those using P&R having to pay, as existing car park uses do.

Whether this brings about a reduction in ticket prices we will wait and see, but I'm not expecting any reduction.
I think if it were to go to £10 per person (which seems a ridiculous option to even include) then I would just not be able to justify it. Season tickets for my son and I are over £700, we travel 190miles to get to the Mill Road P&R and then catch the bus. If I were to then add an additional £20 a match to the cost then I just simple wont be able to. I appreciate that many have worse journeys but the vast majority are far more local.

I get that prices for everything are going up and that it is probably no longer cost effective for the club (could explain the lack of bendy buses these days) but I think it would be difficult for many to afford, or would then impact what they spend in the shop or stadium.

I do wonder if there would be the option to bundle it in to your season ticket and still be somewhat subsidised. If able to keep to around £100-£150 (total so £50-75 a person) a year and available on direct debit then I would probably moan ... and then click renew

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All negative options would just encourage me to ride 'the final mile', which is fine and dandy right up to the point where the club hides behind dated planning demands as opposed to increase cycle storage.

The dream would be to turn a slither of the rail track side down to The Bridge CP into a properly segregated 'wheels' path, but I guess that's nothing to do with the club.

Build it and they will come.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I was expecting a free text box at the end for other comments.

Disappointed to see no reference to reintroducing subsidy to Seagulls Travel which you could take as another inference that they are looking to remove / reduce the free travel options.

I have a feeling that it will be free travel between Brighton / Falmer / Lewes on the train (just because it is currently too difficult to enforce ticket checks at Falmer) and then nothing more.
I added that exact point as there was a free format box earlier in the survey

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think if it were to go to £10 per person (which seems a ridiculous option to even include) then I would just not be able to justify it. Season tickets for my son and I are over £700, we travel 190miles to get to the Mill Road P&R and then catch the bus. If I were to then add an additional £20 a match to the cost then I just simple wont be able to. I appreciate that many have worse journeys but the vast majority are far more local.

I get that prices for everything are going up and that it is probably no longer cost effective for the club (could explain the lack of bendy buses these days) but I think it would be difficult for many to afford, or would then impact what they spend in the shop or stadium.

I do wonder if there would be the option to bundle it in to your season ticket and still be somewhat subsidised. If able to keep to around £100-£150 (total so £50-75 a person) a year and available on direct debit then I would probably moan ... and then click renew
I'd say that very few have worse journeys than you, well done for even attempting it!

The bendy buses were removed solely because spare parts had become too difficult to obtain.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This survey is part of the travel review they announced in February

>>>>
No changes will be made for next season, 2023/24, but the club are considering options for the 2024/25 season onwards.

The club's board of directors and executive team, in conjunction with the Fan Advisory Board, are planning to review the matchday travel scheme, which has been in operation since the Amex opened in 2011.

No changes will be made for next season, 2023/24, but the club are considering options for the 2024/25 season onwards, with the following objectives:

• To investigate if there is a fairer model with better choice for fans, currently there is a 'one-size-fits-all' approach and some fans benefit more than others
  • To continue to liaise with third-party providers and the local authority (as we do proactively and continuously) to investigate improvements for fans
  • To review current legislation, which can be restrictive, and see if red tape can be removed to make it easier and more cost effective for the club and fans
  • To review costs for the club, which have increased considerably, particularly in the past year, and where possible remove those which are unnecessary or ineffective
  • Improve operational efficiencies and investigate if better use of data and technology can help improve the overall service and reduce club’s costs

So what’s driving the review?
Compared to most stadia we have one of the most effective transport arrangements and one which is included in the cost of the ticket. Under current legislation we are obliged to provide this.

Our costs — over which the club has no control — have increased across the board and continue to do so, with the cost per person much higher than ever envisaged.

Nonetheless we continue to receive regular feedback, positive and negative, direct to the club about travel. Ultimately we want a better service and fairer deal for the club and our fans.

What are the next steps?
At the moment, there is no need for supporters to do anything.

In mid-March we will email all season-ticket holders, MyAlbion+ members and match-ticket purchasers with a travel survey, this will allow you to give us your opinion on the current scheme.

Please ensure your contact details are up to date so we can be in touch with you. Supporters are politely asked not to email the club directly offering feedback, ahead of receiving this survey.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I think this is the problem when people constantly berate the train service to the ground, it cannot get any better at the moment. But if people complain we don't get a good service it will only get worse. I don't see how they can get rid of the rail subsidy, as it means people simply won't be able to get the ground.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think this is the problem when people constantly berate the train service to the ground, it cannot get any better at the moment. But if people complain we don't get a good service it will only get worse. I don't see how they can get rid of the rail subsidy, as it means people simply won't be able to get the ground.
Peoples expectations do make me smile sometimes. The sheer logistics of trying to transport maybe 15 to 20 thousand people anywhere by rail in a short space of time, is such that not everything is going to work perfectly.

There are posters on here who seem to moan at having to queue, or even if they fail to get a seat on the train!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
When Amex opened and club aware it was a pain to get to rightly to help people get there a big deal was made of free travel on offer. I personally think now with record income from TV, transfers and match day it is very much the wrong time to try and reduce cost by getting more out of supporters.
I am a little cynical in that all the time we are doing so well club feel they can do what they like. Go as far as saying are they worried if they loose say 5k ST holders as these can now be sold with the increased interest at match day prices. All to people you wont see for dust if near bottom or relegated. They go on about increase cost of P&R but used to have 3 sites.
A lot of it not clubs fault but service apart from Seagulls Travel which is expensive is very poor. Can you really imagine what it would be like showing tickets for train, buses and P&R. With no free travel it could be mayhem which will would eventually show on attendances. As CEO PBs role of course is to increase income and reduce cost but ok for him, his income has increased from £500k to £2m.
Apart from Gillingham have missed very few home games but there is a limit and with there vast income should not not be looking at supporters to chip in more.

Jul 7, 2003
TFL manage tickets for large crowds going through Wembley but they probably spent a lot to remodel the station to enable this. Not sure the volumes going through Brighton and Falmer would justify similar investments.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
For no particular reason I thought the drive to get fans to pay for p&r might be to find a third or fourth p&r site.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports