Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martyn Blyth - RIP

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Another picture of Martyn poking his head round top right! 1978 claire hall car park,going to cambridge away!

very sad news, I did not go to the game above but certainly knew many of those in the picture God Bless you martyn and your family. been many years since I bumped into some in the pic, Rod and Rory in particular
Geoff Phillpot

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
hi everyone,

A friend came across this thread today and I just want to say how lovely it is to hear such nice and funny stories about my lovely dad! My dad was a wonderful person who would be overwhelmed by the amount of messages and thoughts from everyone. I am now registered with this forum so if anyone wants to email me then please feel free it would be lovely to hear from you.

Thankyou

Sarah Blyth x

Sarah

Very sad to hear about the passing of your dad. You guys only lived over the road from us.

Will the funeral take place over here? I'm sure a few of us would like to show our respects. I am already contacting some of the old crowd.

kindest Regards

John Szweda

happy days

very sad news, I did not go to the game above but certainly knew many of those in the picture God Bless you martyn and your family. been many years since I bumped into some in the pic, Rod and Rory in particular
Geoff Phillpot
Lots of memories geoff do you remember our first coach aldershot away £1 each! simple happy days,and i remember you always brought your own drink! should have a get together at rods bar and have a chat and a few for old times and martyn.

SarahBlyth

Jul 6, 2010
brighton
Dad

Hi to everyone who has posted on here it's amazing to see all the pics
of dad!! Me my brother and sister are going to Arizona next week to have a service over there and bring him home with us, we are then going to be having a service over here also. I will post on here when and where it will be and I'm sure he would have loved everyone to come along.
Sarah Blyth x

SarahBlyth

Jul 6, 2010
brighton
Dad

Hi to everyone who has posted on here it's amazing to see all the pics
of dad!! Me my brother and sister are going to Arizona next week to have a service over there and bring him home with us, we are then going to be having a service over here also. I will post on here when and where it will be and I'm sure he would have loved everyone to come along.
Also hello John!!! I remember you!!! I have done your wifes hair a few times!!!
Sarah

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Lots of memories geoff do you remember our first coach aldershot away £1 each! simple happy days,and i remember you always brought your own drink! should have a get together at rods bar and have a chat and a few for old times and martyn.

I certainly recall aldershot mate...yep and often bought way toooomuch of it eh? is that mick mclaughlin at the front in bus? I do recal martin, more so now that I have seen his photo.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Rory, Geoff and I were chatting on line only the other day.

I reminded him that he was the sole man to hold the door closed on the coach when we were attacked by those West Ham fans at Scratchwood Service Station back in '77. I think Martyn was with us that day as well.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Rory, Geoff and I were chatting on line only the other day.

I reminded him that he was the sole man to hold the door closed on the coach when we were attacked by those West Ham fans at Scratchwood Service Station back in '77. I think Martyn was with us that day as well.

i was either the bravest or most stupid one there on the day lol

Hooray Henley

Jul 7, 2010
Henley on Thames
I am absolutely gutted to hear this rotten news - All my sympathy to Sarah and Chris.

Blackadder tracked me down and called me to tell me - Thanks for that John. Martyn, or as I knew him (Mung) was my very best mate for a number of years. A proper top bloke and will be sadly missed.
Sarah - Please let me know about a memorial service.

God Bless

Chris Tampsett

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Was it graham west who got hit in the back with the hatchet? Bloody cold coming back from chesterfield with no back windows! Loads of memories to mull over!

Very very cold, yes i think you may be right. That was some scene at Scratchwood...bloomin hatchet! seeing the pic of martyn has reminded me of both him and quite a few others in the frame.

I am absolutely gutted to hear this rotten news - All my sympathy to Sarah and Chris.

Blackadder tracked me down and called me to tell me - Thanks for that John. Martyn, or as I knew him (Mung) was my very best mate for a number of years. A proper top bloke and will be sadly missed.
Sarah - Please let me know about a memorial service.

God Bless

Chris Tampsett

Looks like it will be quite a turnout! And so it should!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I just remembered on a boring nightshift at Amex, i had some crap hash...and after a bit of a nightmare on the network. We smoked it. Like I said, it was crap hash.
A couple of weeks later, I didnt have crap hash, I had very strong, sticky black hash.
After another panic strewn couple of hours over something on the network. I went for a smoke. Martyn came with me. Thinking I was smoking the same hash as previously (I confess, I didnt tell him after he said it was crap haha) He went for it to get a buzz.
Then he disappeared. I was stoned. Took a while to notice he was gone.
I found him in the coffee area spread out on the seats, and he was the first person I ever saw change colour from normal, to a weird grey colour, just before a sensational light green colour. I dont know for sure, but I dont think he ever smoked again. Certainly never did with me. Gave him terrible nightmare as well apparently.
Bless his heart. He was great bloke, whose life at work, I made a misery sometimes. I dont actually recognise some of the people here who have worked with him, but he was there a long time, and I can guarantee that all the people I knew there, who ive sadly lost touch with, would be really devasted by his passing. I dont even know if any are still there, but i wouldnt be surprised if some are.

ChrisBlyth

Jul 7, 2010
Hi All,

As you can probably guess im Martyns son Chris and i would just like to firstly echo what my sister said and say thank you for all your messages and story's, it really is appreciated!

As Sarah said, we are going out to Arizona next week to bring him home and will be looking to have a send off over here before carrying out his wishes of having his ashes scattered of the Dorset Coast.

As alot of you know, Dad was a HUGE curry fan and it would be fitting if perhaps we could arrange a few beers followed by a Curry in Brighton/Haywards Heath/Worthing - just a thought. Would be good to hear some of your story's in person....To start things off I was at the Hereford game and seem to remember Rod chucking up along the side of the minibus and blaming the pub grub...............not the 10 pints of Stella!!!

Let me all know what you think and I can get something arranged.

cheers

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hi All,

As alot of you know, Dad was a HUGE curry fan and it would be fitting if perhaps we could arrange a few beers followed by a Curry in Brighton/Haywards Heath/Worthing - just a thought. Would be good to hear some of your story's in person....To start things off I was at the Hereford game and seem to remember Rod chucking up along the side of the minibus and blaming the pub grub...............not the 10 pints of Stella!!!

cheers

A few beers and a curry would be a fitting trubute Chris. Your dad loved his curries! I remember he and Chris (Hooray Henly) Having a curry one evening followed by a few beers in the USC then ANOTHER Curry in the Nizam.

One thing doesn't ring true. Rod downing 10 pints of Stela? You are having a laugh! Maybe 5 at a push!:smile:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
looking at those pictures, I only really knew Martyn by sight. My dad also died at 52 ( the age I am this year).

It is always sad when someone dies far too soon.

I hope Sarah and chris take some solice by some of the marvellous stories recounted here...BTW I was in the services at Scratchwood when the albion coach was attacked by west Ham fans and we came out just as it was all kicking off...we were in the mini bus following!!

Dave Wilcock

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Hi All,

As you can probably guess im Martyns son Chris and i would just like to firstly echo what my sister said and say thank you for all your messages and story's, it really is appreciated!

As Sarah said, we are going out to Arizona next week to bring him home and will be looking to have a send off over here before carrying out his wishes of having his ashes scattered of the Dorset Coast.

Let me all know what you think and I can get something arranged.

cheers

Chris I am sorry to hear the news. I have several friends in Phx who were keeping me updated on your Dad. He was a good Pal and I new him before he joined :amex: and we had many a good times. I think you will here some great stories about our trips watching the Albion and England. Ask Chris Tampsett and Dave Reeves who called me today. What a great trip we had to Hereford,:drink: See you Soon.We will be thinking of your family.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Dave Jolly younger brother was the one who was hit with the axe.

Dave Jolly, a name i have not heard for many years Birdman. this has been bad news today, and i certainly hope that i get chance to meet some old friends whilst embracing Martyns memory

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here