Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Martin Keown. Truth or disrespectful?

Martin on talk sport saying he worries a little about Brighton(playing his beloved Arsenal) as the Brighton players will be playing for a move to a bigger club, putting themselves in shop window!
McAnthony told him he was being a bit disrespectful to us likewise, the chap from MGM giving the odds.
He did add that Roberto is unhappy at lack of quality in transfer window so perhaps the players who play tomorrow will want to show Roberto that they're good enough!

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I wouldn't say disrespectful, because I'm not a fragile flower offended by the idea a player might not see Brighton as the pinnacle of their career.

But it doesn't seem particularly insightful, and perhaps overstates the importance of this game. Part of our approach is to get young/unproven talent and acting as a stepping stone to bigger clubs. That is the bigger picture aim of most of the players we sign. There isn't anything about Saturday afternoon's game that feels like it will be a special match for which this motivation is at the forefront of players' minds.

Last edited:

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
I wouldn't say disrespectful, because I'm not a fragile flower offended by the idea a player might not see Brighton as the pinnacle of their career.

But it doesn't seem particularly inciteful, and perhaps overstates the importance of this game. Part of our approach is to get young/unproven talent and acting as a stepping stone to bigger clubs. That is the bigger picture aim of most of the players we sign. There isn't anything about Saturday afternoon's game that feels like it will be a special match for which this motivation is at the forefront of players' minds.
Good word ... and something that Keown isn't IMO.

You didn't get any ex Liverpool players - now pundits (there are quite a few) - saying anything like that about last Sunday's game.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don't mind Keown. In a way he is probably right. We always raise our game against the bigger teams, probably helped by the fact that they actually try and win the game rather than sitting there like Brentford pooping themselves that we might destroy them.

It's a fairly obvious bit of punditry but nothing to offend. I've heard him speak very fondly of us, and respectful of the time he spent here on loan which got his career going. I have no beef with him.

You always have to remember that their job on Talksport is to fill airtime and now and again say controversial or slightly non sensical stuff. When I am driving for work it gets me through the day so I'm happy to take it for what it is. The fact it is non political (generally!) is also a big plus.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't think it is particularly disrespectful - we all understand that ONE of the motivations our players' have, is the direction of their future career.

It is however, embarrassingly arrogant for him to believe that a game against HIS beloved club is somehow some kind of special showcase for that.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Too many pundits seem to think we are nothing more than the current Plucky Bournemouth under Howe, and will go the same way as Saints, used to it now.

They may of course be right but they need to stand back and look at what DK and TB have done for this club before comparing us to any club not owned and run by a fan.

We are basically a miracle club :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Let's be frank, Keown is a boring, clueless ****. How he's paid to give opinions I will never know.
This
I don't think it is particularly disrespectful - we all understand that ONE of the motivations our players' have, is the direction of their future career.

It is however, embarrassingly arrogant for him to believe that a game against HIS beloved club is somehow some kind of special showcase for that.
And this

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Who gives a shit what Keown says? Having 1 good game against Arsenal will not put a player in the shop window. Having an amazing last 8 games might. If all our players turn up for 8 games then we are getting Europe!
Well it might get Chelsea interested as their recent scouting approach seem to have been "well he had a good game against us lets sign him!".

But you are of course correct. It's not like we're some fourth division club playing on television for the first time.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Arsenal are very worried about this game let me tell you. It is the sort of game Brighton are well capable of winning at home and with only 1 defeat all season. I am confident

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Its disrespectful for Martin Keown to think that will be the sole thing running through our players heads during the game and their only reason for playing well. & incredibly arrogant for him to think that if we do have a player that wants to progress in their career their mindset of how they play would change specifically for Arsenal.

Keown was a incredibly basic hoof ball defender that was lucky to play amongst far classier players at Arsenal, so I can't ever take his incites with any seriousness.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Its disrespectful for Martin Keown to think that will be the sole thing running through our players heads during the game and their only reason for playing well. & incredibly arrogant for him to think that if we do have a player that wants to progress in their career their mindset of how they play would change specifically for Arsenal.

Keown was a incredibly basic hoof ball defender that was lucky to play amongst far classier players at Arsenal, so I can't ever take his incites with any seriousness.
When I saw Keown playing for us he looked like bambi on ice. I was amazed when Arsenal signed him. A very basic defender, Veltman-lite; less composure, less streetwise, more angry.
He's also a very basic analyst.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Shop window might be a motivating factor for a couple of players, playing against one of the best sides in the league this season, needing the points to qualify for Europe, win bonuses, and generally wanting to win whenever they play is going to be ahead of that for most, if not all of them.
There was some chat about De Zerbi auditioning for the Liverpool job last weekend, in some parts of the media, I didn't like the way that was put by some, as if he would be trying harder to get a win.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
he's stating our business plan, and also that the players will step up a gear for a bigger team, so his concern is this game is one Arsenal could drop points. not particularly disrespectful.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
When I saw Keown playing for us he looked like bambi on ice. I was amazed when Arsenal signed him. A very basic defender, Veltman-lite; less composure, less streetwise, more angry.

He was 17/18 when he played for us. He actually made his professional debut with us. I'm not sure how you'd expect a kid out on loan to be giving master classes in defensive composure. Although he must have made a decent impression on the club as he had two loan spells over two seasons with us.

He's not being disrespectful but he is talking nonsense that our players are going to be thinking they are anymore in the shop window this weekend compared to every other PL game, scouting isn't going to be done based on one good performance against Arsenal or Deniz Undav would be playing for Man City now. I'd be rather delighted if we won tomorrow and derailed their title push after pretty much ending it last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here