Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marshall/Murphy/Buckley/Bennett

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It will be 4-4-3 One winger, second striker and target man.
Defensive midfielder, Central midfielder (box2box), Attacking midfielder (fluid interchange of positions). It might mean leaving out Stephens (for Ince), definitely March and Baldock as first choices.

Aah. Not overthinking it then.

Just bonkers :shrug:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It will be 4-3-3 One winger, second striker and target man.
Defensive midfielder, Central midfielder (box2box), Attacking midfielder (fluid interchange of positions). It might mean leaving out Stephens (for Ince), definitely March and Baldock as first choices.

Why leave out one of our best and most influential players last night and signing a winger and keeping March in the side, strange thinking.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Why leave out one of our best and most influential players last night and signing a winger and keeping March in the side, strange thinking.

Not keeping March in the side. With 4-3-3 there is a problems with the second striker.

It requires a better player than just an ordinary winger. Best described as a winger/striker. I think Ali was one of these players, Marshall thinks he is (shoots a lot).

http://theinsidechannel.com/introducing-4-3-3-pt-2/

I think in 4-4-2 it would be a winger/midfielder. In Hyypia's naff system it would be a winger/full back.

Playing 4-3-3 and with a one goal lead it is very tempting to take off the winger/striker an replacing him with a winger/midfielder in 4-4-2. It does not always work because the opposition can push one player (perhaps a left back) forward to chase the game.

Anyrate on the theme of this thread. What type of winger do you want? Winger/striker for me. All the four players on the list are such.

Last edited:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Noone would be an interesting option. Seems to have improved his end product since he left us, seemed to enjoy his time here and has a great attitude. Plus he'd get decent game time for us as well. Rather him than glass hamstring Buckley who can struggle to manage 10 games a season at times.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No one is a strange one in that he had a spell in the prem league where he was immense for 10 or so games and a hot property - then seemed to tail off last season. I'd take him AND one other though...

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Noone would be an interesting option. Seems to have improved his end product since he left us, seemed to enjoy his time here and has a great attitude. Plus he'd get decent game time for us as well. Rather him than glass hamstring Buckley who can struggle to manage 10 games a season at times.

That's what I mean by the width of the post away. If every shot that hit the bar a or post went in he would be good enough. I expect if he joined us he would revert back. He is better at the defending bit than Buckley and all the others. Not my first choice.

A winger is somewhat limited if he can't beat Championship full backs regularly which what lets Colunga and David Lopez down. March can beat his man but his lack of a right foot means the full back cna shepherd him in the way he wants him to go. Best played inverted on the right???

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Ww
That's what I mean by the width of the post away. If every shot that hit the bar a or post went in he would be good enough. I expect if he joined us he would revert back. He is better at the defending bit than Buckley and all the others. Not my first choice.

A winger is somewhat limited if he can't beat Championship full backs regularly which what lets Colunga and David Lopez down. March can beat his man but his lack of a right foot means the full back cna shepherd him in the way he wants him to go. Best played inverted on the right???

You are in danger of failing in your duty as a WUM in that you and CH agree on something. Play a left footer on the right wing where he can't cross a ball first time but must always check inside and thereby slow the play.. In his case I'm sure it has a great deal to do with working with the players he has and therefore he has some excuse. Nevertheless it's the nearest you've come to saying something that anyone else agreed with in ages

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ww

You are in danger of failing in your duty as a WUM in that you and CH agree on something. Play a left footer on the right wing where he can't cross a ball first time but must always check inside and thereby slow the play.. In his case I'm sure it has a great deal to do with working with the players he has and therefore he has some excuse. Nevertheless it's the nearest you've come to saying something that anyone else agreed with in ages

It bloody frustrated me that. The left footed crosses. Antonio was just as bad for them in this respect. March got an assist though. Antonio nearly did.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not one for holding grudges but didn't Buckley basically admit in an interview that the reason he was shit for a year was because he wasn't bothered?

It's one thing to do it but to admit it shows a breathtaking level of arrogance.
No, he didn't say that. Firstly, he didn't suggest his game was affected for more than a month or two. Secondly, he didn't say he wasn't bothered, he said that the interest from a PL club affected him, not that he wanted it to.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Nobody else seems to be steaming in for Buckley. I'd take the pragmatic view and resign him for the £1.5 mill Sunderland are asking. If it doesn't work then we haven't lost out financially on the player we sold to them for £2.5 mill and there's a chance March or Harper will come through anyway. On the other hand he could slot right in and do brilliantly from the word go. Bruno and Calde are still here so there's immediate familiarity which means he should hit the ground running.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Have we actually been linked with Buckley in any kind of press - I can't remember but don't think we actually have - it's just NSC talk so far...?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Have we actually been linked with Buckley in any kind of press - I can't remember but don't think we actually have - it's just NSC talk so far...?

Bar a snippit in the sun that said Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and us I've not seen anything. It basically went on to say we were interested as 2 million for Marshall was rejected. My assumption on that was buckleys available and ex Brighton so we must be interested.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
No, he didn't say that. Firstly, he didn't suggest his game was affected for more than a month or two. Secondly, he didn't say he wasn't bothered, he said that the interest from a PL club affected him, not that he wanted it to.

Surely, if interest from a PL club had affected him, it could only have been because he wanted it to. If he hadn't it wouldn't have affected him at all! ???

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Surely, if interest from a PL club had affected him, it could only have been because he wanted it to. If he hadn't it wouldn't have affected him at all! ???

I would be interested in the Gigg's opinion of him. Gigg's had hamstring problems and had a very good fitness record. And Buckley played well against Man United for Sunderland.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think it works like that. If he had no interest in joining Sunderland, then it wouldn't have affected him. But, understandably, he wanted to join his old boss at a PL club, so although a deal hadn't been struck, it affected his ability to concentrate 100% on the job he had.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So you're saying we've pulled out of pursuing Marshall & are interested in resigning Craig Noone?

Apparently Rovers want £5m. So I guess it's off.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Probably is off. Tony Bloom, perhaps commendably, and whether we like it or not is somewhat famous for not being held to ransom in business. Unfortunately for us, there often seem to be clubs that will pay over the top to get their man, so we lose out.
A bit cheeky really after the enormous money we received for Leo, and though a great admirer of TB I am (rather selfishly) disappointed he hasn't used a chunk of that to replace him with an out and out striker.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Don't blame us tbh - we don't have poxy parachute payments so can't really throw that sort of money around. Wish we'd got that Iranian - abroad seems much better value.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here