[Albion] Marseille

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Calm down Mildred.

I am merely referencing club advice to a) take precautions due to prevalence of street crime and pickpocketing in Marseille and b) carry your passport at all times.

My precaution for a) will be not to carry my passport at all times, a standard practice whenever I am abroad I would add.

My advice would be to take a photo of your passport and any other ID on your phone and leave your passport in the hotel safe (or other safe place). The club have accepted phone images (which will be connected to your season ticket in your phone wallet) to collect away tickets in the past, I’m sure they will accept them in France.

There, not difficult is it………………..
In some countries it’s the law to carry your passport at all times. Or at least ID.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
If your flight quotes an arrival time of 9;05, that will be local

We're getting in the night before - want to be leaving fairly early but if the flight gets in at 8-05 that should be fine. We won't be leaving before that. Small'ish car but can fit an extra two in I'm sure if you're stuck. We're staying at the hotel a few mins walk from terminal 1 so shouldn't be too difficult to arrange
OK boss will get back to you as there are 3 of us but appreciate the reply

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
OK boss will get back to you as there are 3 of us but appreciate the reply
haha, a squeeze perhaps. The car is a Peugeot 208 (or similar it says....). No idea how much room that means there is but I guess better than a fiat 500.

Looking at times and the 3 hour before kick off ticket collection, leaving Nice by 10am gives time for stuff to go wrong, traffic etc so if you're stuck the offer's there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You’re wasting your time on here with the empty vessels……..
It’s like you’re preparing the ground for your tall stories of how you outwitted the locals and the ultras in this seething cauldron of a city which you’ll inform everyone of when you return. Meanwhile, across town everyone else is lapping up the glamour, sunshine and rosé

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Calm down Mildred.

I am merely referencing club advice to a) take precautions due to prevalence of street crime and pickpocketing in Marseille and b) carry your passport at all times.

My precaution for a) will be not to carry my passport at all times, a standard practice whenever I am abroad I would add.

My advice would be to take a photo of your passport and any other ID on your phone and leave your passport in the hotel safe (or other safe place). The club have accepted phone images (which will be connected to your season ticket in your phone wallet) to collect away tickets in the past, I’m sure they will accept them in France.

Pretty lousy advice I'd suggest. The club might (possibly) just accept a photo of your passport, but there may well be a dozen other occasions on the day when police and/or stadium officials demand to see your physical passport. Even something like getting on the coach to the game. You really going to have faith in getting by with a photo of your passport? Good luck with that

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Having travelled and worked in Marseille for 15 odd years albeit not recently, the risks of theft and pickpocketing etc. are very real.

In my time there I directly experienced the following:

Hotel room broken into and money and personal belongings stolen

Pickpocketing attempts on multiple occasions

Rear window of a hire car smashed (parked in a non-central restaurant car park) and everything inside stolen

Attempted car jacking

Therefore, when I was there last weekend my passport was not on my person unless absolutely necessary
It’s so odd that Marseille is so different to all the other towns and cities in the south of France. Nice also has a large immigrant community and although it does have some issues it’s nowhere near as crime invested as Marseille .

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
same as London then
Not even remotely close...

I didn't mention the stolen cars which are set on fire and pushed off the roads to tumble down the hills in semi-residential areas.

I'm not trying to scaremonger or sensationalise but just give an account of my experiences.

It isn't at all hard to find trouble if you want it and only a little less so if you don't...

On my first or second visit, we were warned (in a Clouseau-esqe) accent "It's a bit criminal here"

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Pretty lousy advice I'd suggest. The club might (possibly) just accept a photo of your passport, but there may well be a dozen other occasions on the day when police and/or stadium officials demand to see your physical passport. Even something like getting on the coach to the game. You really going to have faith in getting by with a photo of your passport? Good luck with that
You can suggest what you like, however given that France is currently hosting the RWC I seriously doubt its officials/police will be actively demanding sight of passports from Tourists in the street (whether in Marseille or not). Why would they do it, to check you have it, then what if you don’t? Arrest……..and then before you know it you’re the Count of Monte Cristo? Fantasy stuff.

Maybe, for the first time when collecting an away ticket the club will refuse to release it unless they see the physical evidence of my ID. I doubt that too, given the amount of data on my phone over and above photos of ID (e.g. proof of flights, hotel, season ticket, photos of games, the email cache).

In a perverse way I hope you are right because I would love to that conversation with an official in a foreign country where I needed a passport to get there. That would be great sport, sadly for me in that context I think you're wrong (again).

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not even remotely close...

I didn't mention the stolen cars which are set on fire and pushed off the roads to tumble down the hills in semi-residential areas.

I'm not trying to scaremonger or sensationalise but just give an account of my experiences.

It isn't at all hard to find trouble if you want it and only a little less so if you don't...

On my first or second visit, we were warned (in a Clouseau-esqe) accent "It's a bit criminal here"
ive worked there and visited and didnt see any of that.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
haha, a squeeze perhaps. The car is a Peugeot 208 (or similar it says....). No idea how much room that means there is but I guess better than a fiat 500.

Looking at times and the 3 hour before kick off ticket collection, leaving Nice by 10am gives time for stuff to go wrong, traffic etc so if you're stuck the offer's there.
Well it looks like we can use the original train booked as long as its same company according to euro trainline phoned today but cheers for the offer 👍

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Calm down Mildred.

Nor is having a money belt under your shirt. Something I've done over nearly 50 years of travel without a problem. It'll fit a passport. Mildred.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Who's bringing the fireworks then ? Liz Costa ?

Looks like they’ve smuggled in some particularly pétillant rosé to me, hardly crime of the century

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Marseille v Toulouse is currently live on TNTSports 3 (previously BTSport 3).
After 30 mins the score is 0-0.

Half-time 0-0.
Not a very entertaining game.
Aubamayang has had a couple of efforts for Marseille, but both teams build up play has been ponderous.
I can't see any away supporters up in the top right corner, but maybe the TV camera is on the same side as the away section.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports