Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marseille fans

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Yes, I agree. Daft to throw things.

Quick and easy question for you. Do you reckon the guy would have been arrested if he'd held it aloft and not thrown it?
It's not an easy question. I don't know. As I said, policing is all about assessing a situation.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Yes, I agree. Daft to throw things.

Quick and easy question for you. Do you reckon the guy would have been arrested if he'd held it aloft and not thrown it?
That's basically the crux of the situation, if not then it'd have been the same as the French fans. Had he still been arrested then I agree there would have been differences

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It's not an easy question. I don't know. As I said, policing is all about assessing a situation.
It is an easy question to answer - he'd have been arrested whether he'd chucked it or not. The chucking argument is used by some to justify him being singled out and the marseille lot not. Weak and bizarre argument to support the guys arrest when far worse behaviour is allowed at the other end.

The real issue is about what is an easy target and what isn't. Brighton fans are an easy target, home and away. Marseille aren't.

Police, club, some other albion fans support that approach. My considered opinion is that it is all a bit shitty and should be challenged.
That's basically the crux of the situation, if not then it'd have been the same as the French fans. Had he still been arrested then I agree there would have been differences
But it's illegal to bring into the ground isn't it, so he'd have been arrested.

Oh yes, plus he's an easy target so police, stewards and other albion fans can take action without fear.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Any decent lawyer would get the Albion fan off the hook as no action was taken against Marseille fans.
Perhaps, but what a absolute nightmare of a situation for the chap who was arrested, week before Christmas.

I don't even know if he's been released on bail or still in a cell?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
It is an easy question to answer - he'd have been arrested whether he'd chucked it or not. The chucking argument is used by some to justify him being singled out and the marseille lot not. Weak and bizarre argument to support the guys arrest when far worse behaviour is allowed at the other end.

The real issue is about what is an easy target and what isn't. Brighton fans are an easy target, home and away. Marseille aren't.

Police, club, some other albion fans support that approach. My considered opinion is that it is all a bit shitty and should be challenged.

But it's illegal to bring into the ground isn't it, so he'd have been arrested.

Oh yes, plus he's an easy target so police, stewards and other albion fans can take action without fear.
No. You're mixing up justice with policing. Two quite different things.

I've said why I think the police behaved differently towards the two incidents. To me, it's obvious.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Any decent lawyer would get the Albion fan off the hook as no action was taken against Marseille fans.
That's not a good legal argument. "But offisher, that urm, Jimmy Tarbuck washn't arreshted for drink-driving, Sho, er, w-why me? Hic!"

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
No. You're mixing up justice with policing. Two quite different things.

I've said why I think the police behaved differently towards the two incidents. To me, it's obvious.

OK. So we agree that he was arrested because the situation was easier to deal with when it concerns brighton fans. Which is the real issue here, and it's shit.

It's very sad to see fans jumping in to support that happening in my opinion.

No idea why the luzzing aspect was targeted as justification initially. Very odd.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
OK. So we agree that he was arrested because the situation was easier to deal with when it concerns brighton fans. Which is the real issue here, and it's shit.

No idea why the luzzing aspect was targeted as justification initially. Very odd.
Because that's the reason for the arrest, according to reports.

I agree though, the French fans should have been punished, or maybe the club docked points from there European position

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Funny how the beer luzzing narrative at Ajax is still disingenuous.
The fella threw his beer over the divide onto the Ajax fans, as seen by the steward and admitted to by the silly sausage.

This fella actively bought an illegal product into the stadium, for that action there are consequences, no amount of 'but but...' alters that fact.

Last edited:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Because that's the reason for the arrest, according to reports.

I agree though, the French fans should have been punished, or maybe the club docked points from there European position
I wasn't getting at you, wasn't intended to anyway with that sentence.

I was referring to mustards earlier post suggesting it was the luzzing that was the problem, not the smoke bomb. That being suggested to differentiate with the marseille fans, when we all know the reason they targeyted the old guy was down to cowardice.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Funny how the beer luzzing narrative at Ajax is still disingenuous.
The fella threw his beer over the divide onto the Ajax fans.

This fella actively bought an illegal product into the stadium, for that action there are consequences, no amount of 'but but...' alters that fact.
Not according to some, he was just being a passionate fan.

Whereas most people in this situation read passionate as idiot.

The club and the PL have clearly laid out their position on pyros and there was only ever going to be one outcome in this situation.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

No idea why the luzzing aspect was targeted as justification initially. Very odd
No, you’ve misunderstood.

The two situations were different. The police at the NS end did what they thought was right in the circumstances. They arrested a man who threw a smoke bomb or flare, whatever, onto the pitch. I can’t criticise that decision.

The police at the South End did what they thought was right in the circumstances. They decided that wading into the crowd to arrest dozens of people who were holding, or had held, flares, would lead to a violent escalation.

Justice? Perhaps not. Good policing? Yes.

el punal

I thought the other banner said "DOGGERS" which seemed very strange until someone pointed out it was DODGERS. In my defence, it was a little creased where by the second D. The fact I have an opticians appointment after work today is unrelated.

Right, see if you can make out the top line :

J U S T F U

Now the second line :

C K O F F

And the next one :

U D I K

Splendid!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not according to some, he was just being a passionate fan.

Whereas most people in this situation read passionate as idiot.

The club and the PL have clearly laid out their position on pyros and there was only ever going to be one outcome in this situation.
You can't get a ticket without agreeing with the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here