Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Lawrenson/Pointless

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I'd rather just remember him as the best Albion player to ever wear the stripes in my lifetime.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think we're a bit divided on Lawro. A lot of vitriol on here for him, but I believe those of us of a certain age will always regard him in high esteem.
Along with the Wardy, the greatest player I ever saw pull on the stripes; just a privilege to watch him play.
Ok, so he comes across not so well on tv to some people; but I like his honesty when giving an opinion, plus he's stayed loyal to his home town club.
He spoke up well for us in the dark days & marched for Falmer. Club legend in my book, sorry.

p.s. It's genius.

Also, he didn't go on strike to force a move, and went for a fair price - we didn't get ripped off because the player had decided he wasn't going to stay regardless. So, sadness at his departure, but no bitterness (although I can't speak for that young lady of his, obviously!)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't think he mentions Albion much. Although he is a Preston North End supporter, and his time at Liverpool probably forms the base of most enquiries. Never felt the need to judge him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What people seem to forget he was born and bred in Preston where his dad was a prison officer so would probably have more allegiance to them having supported them as a lad and then playing for them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didnt need adulation from him we were just very close aquantances. I was not some star struck teenager trying to gain admiration.
FFS why would you think I was talking about you?
You do realise NSC doesnt revolve around you, don't you?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It's all,about opinions, when I've previously interviewed him in the past, he spoke with some affection for his time at the Albion, and how Mike Bamber effectively made him sign a blank piece of paper which was later turned into a contract.
He later appeared in Meridian's award winning "Goodbye Goldstone" documentary and was very supportive of the fans campaign both on and off air.
I actually share the view of others on here in saying he is without doubt the finest player in our lifetime to pull on an Albion shirt, injury robbed him of appearing on the international stage in both the 1988 Euros and the World Cup of 1990, tournaments that I believe a fully fit Lawro might have even been deemed 'world class'.

He also played for Ham Sports in the Worthing Evening Cricket League, I doubt Albion players of today would either have the time or be allowed to play another sport at that level.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It's all,about opinions, when I've previously interviewed him in the past, he spoke with some affection for his time at the Albion, and how Mike Bamber effectively made him sign a blank piece of paper which was later turned into a contract.
He later appeared in Meridian's award winning "Goodbye Goldstone" documentary and was very supportive of the fans campaign both on and off air.
I actually share the view of others on here in saying he is without doubt the finest player in our lifetime to pull on an Albion shirt, injury robbed him of appearing on the international stage in both the 1988 Euros and the World Cup of 1990, tournaments that I believe a fully fit Lawro might have even been deemed 'world class'.

He also played for Ham Sports in the Worthing Evening Cricket League, I doubt Albion players of today would either have the time or be allowed to play another sport at that level.

And was honoury President of the Ham Football club in East Worthing,and used to take training on the occasional Tuesday night

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I've met him a few times. Always speaks fondly about the Albion. His sense of humour doesn't appeal but I suspect he could say the same about mine. It doesn't make him a prick IMO.

Next time you meet him, ask him why he didn't help the campaign for Falmer.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Next time you meet him, ask him why he didn't help the campaign for Falmer.

But he did......

He spoke up well for us in the dark days & marched for Falmer.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Wish one of the Match of the Day production team had pointed out that he was bursting out of his tailored signature shirt last night. Looked sloppy and rather unprofessional.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I think some fans are upset that he played for a bigger club and succeeded more than we ever have. Oh well

They clearly can't have seen him play for the club then, he served us well, help keep us up in the top flight twice, then moved on to the then European Champions, which bought Jimmy Case to us.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I think the OP was pointing to the fact he also mentioned Preston, not us, although I think he played more games for us.

Not surprisingly as he was born there and it was his first club.

One of our best players ever, supported us during our times of trouble, no problem with his laconic approach to TV, he did it on the pitch for us when it mattered, a true Brighton Legend.

el punal

I was of the era growing up watching Lawrenson play for the Albion.
Got his autograph a few times, no problems with that.
He has got a great sense of humour if you really watch him on TV.
Great player for Brighton, and as said here, a club legend.
Nothing in the current side to rival him yet. :bowdown:

Quite right, but he never mentions that he played for Brighton in every sentence when on TV or radio. That is so wrong and disrespectful. punish:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
"Mark, you have medals for winning the European Cup, the FA Cup, the League Cup three times, and the first division five times, what the listeners/viewers really want to know is was your sending off in the League Cup first round at Prenton Park whilst playing for Brighton in September 1980 justified?"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here