Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Maria Caulfield, Lewes MP

Jan 30, 2008
She has under a 2.5K majority, over 4.7K voted Labour and Green.

26,820 voted for her, cannot find the amount of registered voters in Lewes Constituency

She is a member of the hard line ERG. you gets what you vote for or what you didn't tactically vote for.

sour grapes at Best ,after storming Norman got the boot the Lewes right ons /lentil lovers have had to fall in line with Democracy,thinks she's doing a good job personally along with her nursing role
regards
DF

Jan 30, 2008
I'm actually quite surprised Lewes has a Tory MP, as it's usually regarded as such a liberal and progressive town. I guess it's all the villages in the surrounding area.
crying into their cornflakes , before Baker Tory Tim rathbone held the seat for a number of years , there was also a NF following in the town but that's another story
regards
DF

Jan 30, 2008
Definitely true in the 2019 election. We had our chance to unseat her, but we blew it!

To be fair to the Greens, their view was: we stood aside in the election before that, and the Lib Dems couldn't take advantage.
The LIB DEMS got everything they deserved, an absolute disgrace to democracy and sent packing by the electorate , the Lewes Luvvies need to think again:hilton:

Regards
DF

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I hope not. With PR, Farrage will finally be able to take a seat in Parliament (for whatever party he decides to invent a week after the next GE is announced). I'm sure Tommy Robinson and Jayda Fransen will also find some way of squeezing themselves in, too.

I hope Starmer has the good sense to see that just like Mr Tony's bargain of devolution, Camaron's deal with the liberals and, going back in time, the Lib Lab Pact, any offer of a leg up to another party, especially the floodgate opening manouvre of PR, are devices for maintaining undeserved power that ultimately damages the guilty party and all associated with it. If you can't win properly in the UK with FPPT, the nation is telling you something.

Unusually, I find myself disagreeing with you. I loathe Farage, Robinson, Fransen and all the other populist headbangers but if people vote for them in sufficient numbers then it should be reflected in seats in parliament.

As an old Liberal I don't see how I can think anything else.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Wasn't Norman Baker the MP who tried to so hard to prevent the Amex getting planning permission way back?

He certainly did. He made the calculation that there were more votes in being seen to fight for one of his villages - as he would have put it - than supporting a football club from neighbouring Sodom and Gamorrah. The utter contempt that the ruling (Liberal Party) cabal showed for Tim Carder and other quiet Albion supporters during a Lewes District Council meeting in Lewes will stay with me.

I don't judge an entire party by its dregs though.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Unusually, I find myself disagreeing with you. I loathe Farage, Robinson, Fransen and all the other populist headbangers but if people vote for them in sufficient numbers then it should be reflected in seats in parliament.

As an old Liberal I don't see how I can think anything else.

Agree completely. I've discussed this with Harry before, the number of MPs bears very little relationship to the way the country votes. PR is the best way to reflect the wishes of the country and ensure that everyone's vote counts.

Even f***wits :shrug:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
There may be one or two but that's not really the point. What LDs and Greens need is for PR; they're going to be doomed to a handful of seats until the end of time if we don't ditch FPTP. I'm sure they'd be quite happy to drop out of some seats that they're not going to win for a genuine chance of PR.

I have no idea how many Tory seats there are where the majority is below the LD vote but I bet there are a good many.

Swinson and Corbyn hated each other and were never going to reach an agreement but Starmer is not so dogmatic.

As for HWT's concern that Farage will get a seat in parliament ... maybe he will and maybe he should. I can't see the likes of Robinson getting anywhere near though, it's easy to have 5% cut-off point as the Germans do. And while I agree that a good part of the electorate are right-wing nutters, I can't see the Farage Party/Britain First/English Democrats/UKIP/EDL all getting 5%

This. As an avid supporter of PR, I get so frustrated with people who are opposed to it, without any sort of understanding of how it truly works. The German AMS system also maintains constituency representation, and still ensures the larger parties have enough seats for workable coalitions to form.

Nigel Farage had way more impact on UK politics outside of parliament than he ever would have as one of a handful of UKIP MP's.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This. As an avid supporter of PR, I get so frustrated with people who are opposed to it, without any sort of understanding of how it truly works. The German AMS system also maintains constituency representation, and still ensures the larger parties have enough seats for workable coalitions to form.

The facts of the matter are: a) the LDs and the Greens need PR to make any headway in parliament and b) the Tories are never going to allow PR.

Therefore, the only chance of LDs and Greens getting it are to help elect a Labour government. It will be worthwhile standing down in a few seats to help enable this.

No-one's speaking about this right now and I don't know if it's part of the plan or not but, if I were Starmer, I'd be exploring it (and Lewes would the sort of seat where Labour could stand down)

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I guess it’s possible she may have believed the item she was retweeting , however you still have to do some diligence and check the substance of the twitter account you are retweeting ( if you follow me )

It would only take a 2 min look to see the original twitter account had lots of previous form !

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

D

Deleted member 22389

Is she going to tell everyone they were lying about the PPE shortage again?

See she back on Twitter, no apology I see for yesterday's sharing of fascist propaganda on social media.

At least she put herself forward to go and work back in the NHS, good on her and thank you very much. She should be congratulated.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Agree completely. I've discussed this with Harry before, the number of MPs bears very little relationship to the way the country votes. PR is the best way to reflect the wishes of the country and ensure that everyone's vote counts.

Even f***wits :shrug:

I really like the look of the New Zealand electoral system, it's proportional but you also get a local mp.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
At least she put herself forward to go and work back in the NHS, good on her and thank you very much. She should be congratulated.

When the dust settles it will be interesting to see exactly what she did do! I wonder if those she worked with were happy with her alleged comments about lack of PPE!!!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

TBH she should be applying for a full time job in the NHS now. Yesterday's hate crime was a sackable offence and should not be tolerated by any MP of any party.

The problem we have is her boss is a compulsive liar also and clearly thinks it will just blow over, public conduct is now at a new low

Last edited:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
When the dust settles it will be interesting to see exactly what she did do! I wonder if those she worked with were happy with her alleged comments about lack of PPE!!!

That tweet she did, saying there was no shortage of PPE "despite what the media says", also included the claim that she'd just done a 48-hour shift.

I'd love to hear what her colleagues say about her.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I hope not. With PR, Farrage will finally be able to take a seat in Parliament (for whatever party he decides to invent a week after the next GE is announced). I'm sure Tommy Robinson and Jayda Fransen will also find some way of squeezing themselves in, too.

I hope Starmer has the good sense to see that just like Mr Tony's bargain of devolution, Camaron's deal with the liberals and, going back in time, the Lib Lab Pact, any offer of a leg up to another party, especially the floodgate opening manouvre of PR, are devices for maintaining undeserved power that ultimately damages the guilty party and all associated with it. If you can't win properly in the UK with FPPT, the nation is telling you something.

Your right , proportional representation does have its downsides and it often gives disproportionate power to the extremes; Israel is a classic case but look no further than our own situation with the DUP.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Just to prove it, she included a selfie wearing a small paper mask and a plastic apron neither of which are suitable for nursing Covid patients. There is PPE and there is PPE.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

She is a bank nurse who works when called upon, so not full time. I wonder what the Royal College of Nursing makes of her Twitter conduct?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here