Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marcus Rashford. Respect

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No those kids wont have to support us with their tax. This is a neo-liberal myth. Tax doesn`t pay for government spending. A government such as ours with its own sovereign currency neither has to tax or borrow. Its not like a household, a local council, a nation in the Eurozone, or a firm, which do have to balance their books. Our government creates new money when it spends and destroys it when it taxes. Thats why tax is called revenue (it returns to the government).

taxation and spending is not a neo-liberal myth, how money traditionally works. you are buying in to a hypothesis of monetary policy that some wish for, so they could have infinite money without consequence. consider why does Eurozone have different monetary structure to UK.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
It was a strange thing for the government to fight. In relative terms, it would have cost little to implement (rather like health treatment for NHS workers) but that small amount would have done a lot of good AND be seen as a popular move. By making a stand on it - and then making a U-turn, it makes the government look both hard-hearted and indecisive. Who the hell is advising this government on PR? They're getting just about everything wrong

Right? I thought that Cummings was a (self styled) genius.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Well, that's Sports Personality Of The Year sorted.

Might as well throw a few quid in for a Nobel prize, Queens Honours list....balls to it, Xmas #1 as well.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
No those kids wont have to support us with their tax. This is a neo-liberal myth. Tax doesn`t pay for government spending. A government such as ours with its own sovereign currency neither has to tax or borrow. Its not like a household, a local council, a nation in the Eurozone, or a firm, which do have to balance their books. Our government creates new money when it spends and destroys it when it taxes. Thats why tax is called revenue (it returns to the government).

That wasn't the point I was trying to make

The point I was trying to make was that - For the most part we have 3 Age groups in Society at any one time

1. Children up to the age of 16 who for the most part don't earn and don't pay taxes - Their Educational needs are met by the taxes paid by the Working Population ant Point 2 below

2. The working population who work and pay taxes and create wealth - Their taxes support point 1 above

3. The elderly in receipt of State Pension and that State Pension being paid for by the Working Population at point 2 above. And I know some Pensioners pay tax but it is not the majority of them

My synopsis I know is of course an over simplification but that is essentially how things work in Capitalist Economies. The population at Point 2 above support the people at points 1 and 3

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Wasn't expecting that at all

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wasn't expecting that at all

You weren't expecting this government to be shown up as complete heartless penny pinching scumbags, with total disregard for the poorest and most vulnerable.

Only to then do a full U-turn because they were shamed into it.

To be honest this was the only thing I was expecting today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1272861517080342528[/tweet]

Jimmy Grimble

It takes a special government to come off looking worse than professional footballers in the eyes of the media/public during a pandemic.

Well done Rashford.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Labour Party's PR team haven't been great either. I suspect that, as good as Rashford's intervention was, the real reason by the government was Labour's motion on this - one that several Tory MPs said that they were going to support. Johnson climbed down rather than face a parliamentary defeat. It should have been a triumph for the Labour Party but they've made it look as Rashford has done all the running and Labour has jumped on the bandwagon.

It wouldn't have happened in Campbell's day

EDIT: As if to prove my point, the party has put out the most cloth-eared tweet possible, talking about the success of its campaign.

Both the Tories and the Labour party should be able to hire the best PR and social media professionals going - why does it look like they're in the hands of a couple of interns?

Last edited:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
The Labour Party's PR team haven't been great either. I suspect that, as good as Rashford's intervention was, the real reason by the government was Labour's motion on this - one that several Tory MPs said that they were going to support. Johnson climbed down rather than face a parliamentary defeat. It should have been a triumph for the Labour Party but they've made it look as Rashford has done all the running and Labour has jumped on the bandwagon.

It wouldn't have happened in Campbell's day

I expect on this one though they are happy to let young Marcus take the plaudits and let the real beneficiaries be the youngsters who will have their lives improved a little. Common sense is the winner here and Labour will be happy to have supported a cause which their political opponents had to U turn or face a public backlash. :cheers:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cummings is clearly VERY good at targeting the stupid and getting them to vote for what he wants.

He's also clearly shit at everything else.

I'm not so sure Dommy Cum-Cum is that good at targeting, unless he's had a Land Rover eye test first.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Well, that's Sports Personality Of The Year sorted.

Might as well throw a few quid in for a Nobel prize, Queens Honours list....balls to it, Xmas #1 as well.

Nah no chance, picked by the Government and he's just humiliated them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here