Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

March for England

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I'm glad we live in a democracy, and we have the 'paid-for-in-our-forefather's-blood' right to demonstrate, regardless of views. Take it away, and there would be a fair chance we would end up living in an autocracy...

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I wonder what it's costing to the city's economy - the first hot and sunny Sunday of the year but I bet loads of people put off going to Brighton today.

I was going to have a gander at the London to Brighton Jaguar Run but decided to drink beer in the garden instead.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
What are we celebrating exactly?

Today's events are about as far from a celebration as possible.

Can not argue with that.
The march started a few years back. It was just the March For England, to celebrate our patron saint day. Back then it had a few ex servicemen, gurkhas, children, pensioners etc. The antis turned up, trouble flared, so most years since the marchers have got more aggressive people turning up......and the anti everything have done the same.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
sounds to me it's the tree huggers spitting their dummies out the pram.
Earlier there were clashes opposite Ship Street between antis in black balaclavas and police with batons drawn.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
From what little i saw in St James street they are by far the worst behaved,throwing black paint at police,trying to smash coral's windows,let them all fight each other in a field somewhere i say and leave the rest of us to go about our business.

Earlier there were clashes opposite Ship Street between antis in black balaclavas and police with batons drawn.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I'm glad we live in a democracy, and we have the 'paid-for-in-our-forefather's-blood' right to demonstrate, regardless of views. Take it away, and there would be a fair chance we would end up living in an autocracy...

I too am all for freedom of protest but what I do not agree to is this council leadership basically saying " come and have your protest in our city ". Sooner or later we will be getting unwanted media attention for our city and as this city relies heavily on tourism it may well have an adverse effect on it.

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2011
I too am all for freedom of protest but what I do not agree too is this council leadership basically saying " come and have your protest in our city ". Sooner or later we will be gwtting unwanted media attention for our city and as this city relies heavily on tourism it may well have an adverse effect on it.

Twice a year Brighton is closed down at taxpayers expense so anyone who wants a ruck can have one. What's not to love?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I too am all for freedom of protest but what I do not agree too is this council leadership basically saying " come and have your protest in our city ". Sooner or later we will be gwtting unwanted media attention for our city and as this city relies heavily on tourism it may well have an adverse effect on it.

100% this. All for freedom of speech. Everyone's voice needs to be heard. That being said why should everyone else suffer because of some else wanting to air their political beliefs. Businesses have had to close. Traffic is probably a nightmare, and we are hearing reports of kids crying.

Why not have the protest and counter protest in a field. The media can be told in advance so everyone gets the coverage they want. Minimum policing required so cost to the taxpayer is less, and the whole city isn't brought to a standstill.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Why not have the protest and counter protest in a field. The media can be told in advance so everyone gets the coverage they want. Minimum policing required so cost to the taxpayer is less, and the whole city isn't brought to a standstill.

Or in one of the parks, so it can be confined. I understand it's the police who allow a march to take place and can determine it's route.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
sounds to me it's the tree huggers spitting their dummies out the pram.

Hooded anti-fascists are staging a march of their own through The Lanes.

Bill Gardner reports minor scuffles with police as some people try to run onto The Old Steine.

The group is heading into The Lanes, chanting "fascist scum off our streets".

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Double post? Have you just accidentally exposed a second account?

Are you serious, or just a bit dim. One poster lives in England and the other in NZ. Do you not think it is possible we are both looking at the "live" feed that was put up earlier on the thread. :ffsparr:
Wake up sleepy head.
Get it checked out by Admin....then perhaps your mind will be put at rest eh.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Maybe better to celebrate on November 20th, Saint Edmund's Day, the true patron Saint of England.
England's Patron Saint

Interesting link Mr S. I had never heard of St Edmund before. Are they saying that the traditional image of George slaying the dragon, is a Norman pisstake of their saint, george, killing the English saint as symbolised by the dragon?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Can not argue with that.
The march started a few years back. It was just the March For England, to celebrate our patron saint day. Back then it had a few ex servicemen, gurkhas, children, pensioners etc. The antis turned up, trouble flared, so most years since the marchers have got more aggressive people turning up......and the anti everything have done the same.

I remember it being EDL from the beginning, I'm sure. It was called March for the Flag in those days and they ended up inviting ex-servicemen, and dress it up as a family event, to ensure they didn't get closed down.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I remember it being EDL from the beginning, I'm sure. It was called March for the Flag in those days and they ended up inviting ex-servicemen, and dress it up as a family event, to ensure they didn't get closed down.

The very first one about 5-6 years ago was before the EDL even existed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here